Not sure what this is. Bad body work?

SYGN87

attaching a couple of pictures. I'm not 100% what this is? Some type of body filler? Paint? It doesn't appear to be rust. Anyone else have this? The car was repainted, just not sure how long ago since I got no documentation on the car and the previous owner is clueless on anything done to the car.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    659.7 KB · Views: 139
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 139

Grumpy

Thread killer
I'd say piss poor body work. Look at the scratches above it . Where it is a common thing with these cars I'd say there was rust there an just filled it with bondo. How is the rest of the body ?

SYGN87

I'd say piss poor body work. Look at the scratches above it . Where it is a common thing with these cars I'd say there was rust there an just filled it with bondo. How is the rest of the body ?

No rust, no bad body panels. The paint is good, but not great. That's really the only spot that is weird. Rest of the car is solid.

TTA308

Looks like some crude welding and then oops i painted right over slag and all o_O

hensleyt

Rust, just sent one to the crusher it was bad enough to see clearly. I have a spot on my drivers side roof rail like that I hope to repair soon. One of those things I hate about Hawaii.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
Contamination under paint causing it to lift and wrinkle.

Mikeymikesttop

AKA-- mikes86ttop
I meant to say moldings were never removed, but It looks like possibly the moldings were put on while the paint was still fresh, also a combination of bad prep?

mommasGN

looks like bad surface prep and paint didnt stick well. Hows the paint on the rest of the car? Just get the deck lid painted and give it a few days before you put the molding back on.

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
Looks like cancer (rust) to me. Have you picked any of it off?

Lot's of opinions here, yet you haven't answered this simple question.

Have you really looked under the bad spots? Scraped and/or picked at them?

It's already F'd up, why are you so hesitant to do so? Will it somehow show some shitty work that's not your fault?

That's not on you.

Norman C Shibley

25 year ASE master tech
attaching a couple of pictures. I'm not 100% what this is? Some type of body filler? Paint? It doesn't appear to be rust. Anyone else have this? The car was repainted, just not sure how long ago since I got no documentation on the car and the previous owner is clueless on anything done to the car.

Thanks for the input.
I had the same issue on my first GN but it was also driven in the winter for what that's worth