not a TB tranny question.. but knew you guys were the best

Karri

:confused: I've been running circle track in a purestock class, Rugg was hired as a tech man over there.
He checked trannys last Saturday to see if they ran all the gears. He had the towtruck lift the rear bumper
and they ran and shifted through all the gears. One car only had low. We only run in low technically.
We called it as cheating since a purestock class should have all the gears.
The "committee" is debating over legal or illegal due to almost all of the trannys needing to me "modded" to not shift out of low when it reaches higher RPM. They apparently had plugged all the holes inside and only have low left.
they do not even have park. Is that possible? Everyone else who runs this tranny apparently cracks that plastic gear on the side so it doesn't shift out of low.
could you help us figure why or what the purpose of plugging the holes would give this tranny the better advantage?
does it add to horsepower vs the other way of doing it?
and if the holes were just plugged up, why would there not be park?
its a 200 from a 77 impala or something like that.
we need an experts opinion.
the meeting is tomorrow night we need something written to prove that this tranny should not be allowed to run in a purestock class. they should be able to have all the gears and park to be considered stock.. imho..
If they did allow it, how would they tech legal or illegal trannys after that? if they had no gears.. would they have to tear apart eveyrones trannys to see if they were empty or plugged??
Anyone on here can help it would be greatly appreciated!!
send some emails too if ya want, karrischultze@hotmail.com

Chances are if you took the trans apart you would find parts missing or or modified to be super light weight,They can grind and or cut off part of hte trans to make hte other gears not work and in hte interm reducing recipricating weight inside which results in more accelleration,But you would have to dissasemble the trans to see if this were true

any idea why park wouldnt work? They stuff a block of wood under the rear tires as "park"
they have 5 neutrals and low.
it just wouldnt be the same as breaking that plastic gear on the side so it doesnt pop out of low under high rpm.. correct?

i would think they grind off every peice of metal in the trans that doesnt need to be there for 1st gear,the trans is probably wayyyyyyyyyy lighter than normal with less rotating parts in it,That equals power
for every 10#s of recipricating weight its equal to removing 100# of dead weight,THey could probably cut 20-30 or more pounds out of the trans if done correctly

I liked that answer. Thank you. I'm going to bring it up to the "committee" and see what happens. What you are telling us is that Modifing a tranny in this way is not the same as just making sure it doesnt jump out of low at the wrong time. If it was, they would have done what everyone else has done.

I thank you for your input and time. :)

Hey Duckie

I got your email and was going to respond but as you can see I have had my hands full with this board. ( actually , I fell asleep at the computer) I will help you out and do it for the guys here locally. I will shoot you a phone number through the email you sent and we will talk.
Let me get home tonight and it will be there. look forward to chatting. been awhile.
say hello to Rugg.

Bruce
WE4

Yea, It has been a while!
been so busy with a full time job and a casual weekend job, the racing thing, Ruggs shop/sale of the shop and him starting a new venture, me going back to school for my bachelors degree.. frankly, there isnt much time left to do much of anything else.
hows you and the family? Cindy still doing the Vet thing?