Norwalk TSO Results

TurboDiverArt

The Guru Thorn
I wanted to make a final post regarding the Norwalk TSO race. First off I have to once more say thanks to our sponsors who made the race extremely interesting with their generous sponsorship money.

Anderson Performance
Cotton’s Performance
Hartline Performance
Innovative Plumbing
JCC Racing

An additional thanks to Bill and Roberta for putting together a great venue for us to race and allowing us to have a TSO race. Thanks for also allowing our race to be moved to Sunday when our scheduled Friday race was rained out. Thanks for keeping the track clean and prepped so all racers had a safe hooking track for the entire 1320!

Thanks to all the fans and racers that came out. A special thanks to Jeff Harrington, Steve Hughes and Ted Achatz for moving up a class from TSL to TSO so we had a full class, you guys are the best!

I know there was some controversy in the semi’s as well as the final. I wanted to take a minute to address and explain this. In the semi-final round the racers were all paired up in the font of the lanes and waiting for TSO to be called. When the call came down for TSO to race Ted A experienced an apparent computer malfunction that didn’t allow his car to fire. After trying to fire the car without success the starter put Ted on a 30 second clock to get the car fired otherwise he would be disqualified for failure to make the call to the line. After not being able to get the car started within the 30 seconds Ted was DQ’d. Ted was able to get the car to started shortly after he was DQ’d. The track official had already made the decision to DQ Ted based on the expiration of the 30-second clock so he was not allowed to enter the water-box and was backed out. This was very unfortunate and not the way anyone wanted the outcome to be. For next year’s event should this happen I’m going to ensure that it is made very clear to the racer when he is being put on the clock and how long he or she has to get the car started prior to disqualification. I believe not knowing this before Ted was DQ’d caused a lot of confusion and tension in the pits. We want to ensure this does not happen in the future.

In the finals there was a mix-up with lane choice. All other classes knew that when pulling pairs of racers, the first racer was put into the left lane while the second went into the right. Neither Ed Baker nor myself knew this, I’m sure I speak for Ed when I say we both wish we had as we could have easily avoided this situation by simply reversing the cars in the staging lanes. This ordering is done because the car numbers (and times for bracket racing) are put into the timing computer while in the staging lanes. This is because of the orientation of the staging lanes and the short turn into the water-box. Because of this Dave Fiscus was put into the left lane when he had wanted to be in the right lane. I’m sure this threw Dave off somewhat because of the confusion.

For next year we will try to better understand and define these rules and methods and communicate them to the racers. A big thanks to the effected racers for acting professionally and not allowing things to get out of hand because of the confusion. Both of you acted like the experienced racers that you are!

All in all I think we had a great race. When was the last time a TSO race had a full car count, no one broke their car and the top four qualifiers were in the semi-final round? The top four qualifier were only separated by 4-tenths and the entire field was within 8-tenths. This race was clearly anyone’s race and no one walked away with it and there was no politics or games. I hope this proves that Norwalk is a great place to have a TSO race where everyone can have fun and put on a great race. My hope is that next year we will have an even bigger field and more money up for grabs! Track owner Bill Bader personally said that the class was an exciting class with very fast cars and made for great heads-up spectating. He wants to see the class return in 2007. Bill, Roberta and I will start working early on the TSO race for 2007 so stay tuned!

Top qualifier Dave Fiscus took $100
Runner-up Dave Fiscus took $150
Winner Art Paltz took $853
An additional $50 was paid in contingency from Anderson Performance.

Thanks again to everyone!!

Fiscus was also paid $50 in contingency to go with his $100 from BG. We pay $100 for winner and $50 for runner up.

Great post. Looks like things went pretty well. I disagree with how the track does lane choice. Sounds like a racer is stuck even if the guy in front of him oils the lane down. I hate to see the racer "penalized" because the track can't input the numbers quickly enough.

HighPSI said:
Fiscus was also paid $50 in contingency to go with his $100 from BG. We pay $100 for winner and $50 for runner up.

Great post. Looks like things went pretty well. I disagree with how the track does lane choice. Sounds like a racer is stuck even if the guy in front of him oils the lane down. I hate to see the racer "penalized" because the track can't input the numbers quickly enough.
Well as long as you run a Hartline sticker that is :)

Nice job Art setting TSO up in Norwalk.That was a good show and Awesome payout you put together

Thanks Art for a great event, we had a lot of fun racing with everyone in TSO. Just wish we would have given Rich a better challenge during the first round. Even though, it is nice to see this class at Norwalk. :)

Jeff Harrington Jr.

HighPSI said:

Yeah, I've never run into that before either. Maybe for next year we can see if the heads-up classes can do it differently. You are right, an oil-down with the pair before and the faster car can't change lanes. I have to say, when they put Dave into the other lane I thought it was Dave's doing trying to get in my head. Personally I loved it, just like NHRA (at an IHRA track)! I was bummed when I found out it was not Dave's choice.

When I got out of my car, the first thing I said to Dave was that I was really pissed I had not put a Hartline sticker on my window! Thanks again for all your help Cal, I really appreciate it!

With the contingency, Dave walked away with $300, more than a certain other event. Not bad for pulling it all together in about a month! You really need to figure out a way to get up here for next year’s race!

Art.

KLHAMMETT said:
Well as long as you run a Hartline sticker that is :)
I know it's said as tongue and cheek. There is no way I was going to let crap like that happen in Norwalk. It's just no fun for anyone!

Art.

KLHAMMETT said:
Nice job Art setting TSO up in Norwalk.That was a good show and Awesome payout you put together
I didn't do it alone. Lots of people involved, especially the vendors willing to put up a lot of money for an unproven idea from a guy who never even raced TSO!

Art.

Saywhen said:
Thanks Art for a great event, we had a lot of fun racing with everyone in TSO. Just wish we would have given Rich a better challenge during the first round. Even though, it is nice to see this class at Norwalk. :)

Jeff Harrington Jr.
Thanks for coming our Jeff! I'm really glad we met and we had a good time. There is always next year to get another shot at Richie! I know of at least three racers that want another shot at me! It's all good and fun!

Art.

TurboDiverArt said:
Thanks for coming our Jeff! I'm really glad we met and we had a good time. There is always next year to get another shot at Richie! I know of at least three racers that want another shot at me! It's all good and fun!

Art.

>>> The whole class was alot of fun and nothing but a bunch of class guys that ran in it. I hope we can all do it again in Salem and Norwalk next year.

All I can say Paltz is you are lucky we were on opposite sides of the ladder or else you and I woulda gone at it head to head and I woulda have to teach you a lesson like Warren took Connelly to school :D

Buicksx2 said:
>>> The whole class was alot of fun and nothing but a bunch of class guys that ran in it. I hope we can all do it again in Salem and Norwalk next year.

All I can say Paltz is you are lucky we were on opposite sides of the ladder or else you and I woulda gone at it head to head and I woulda have to teach you a lesson like Warren took Connelly to school :D
I would have chopped you down line a Fir tree!

Art.

AWESOME job guys! Congrats on the win Art and Congrats to Dave on the runner up! We paid all sponsor money ($100 to low qualifier, $100 to winner and $50 to Art for Contingency).We paid out in full (as well as the other sponsors) despite the fact that the class was not full. I will gladly sponsor Norwalk TSO again!

TurboDiverArt said:

Art.

It should be somewhat easy to do better than I did against you in the semis. All I have to do is make it out of the staging lanes, legally, and I am already ahead of where I left off. :D

Good job on the event, thanks to Rich, and Ed Baker for his hard work also, and I can't imagine how much time you guys put into the comedy.

Ted A. said:
Good job on the event, thanks to Rich, and Ed Baker for his hard work also, and I can't imagine how much time you guys put into the comedy.
It is all about the comedy Ted!