Non brf Governor

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Well, I am making headway on my trans overhaul project. I have it in the car and the car moves so I think it is progress.
A little back ground. I am using a Cadillac AA against the advice of several. It's what I had on hand and it is working but needs a few tweaks.
It has a hanging 1-2 at light throttle. It is a stock weight aa gov but I moved and pinned the large weight spring to small weight. I left the big weight without a spring. I guess this isn't working hence the late 1-2 at 25 or so mph. So I will drop pan and put light spring on large weight.
I put 700 clutch release spring in line bias and line bias spring in accumulator as suggested in this form. Pressures are good and I am pleased with the project.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
Tia

image hosting over 5mb
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I didn't but surely can do that too. I can go that way next if you think that is a good way to go. I just went with mod it as it isn't a cz, br , ta, or other perf unit. But I guess with our newly raised tv pressures stock might be closer then I can shave weight if needed .
Thanks for the input.

Put the governor back to it's stock configuration and see how it shifts. This will give you a baseline to work with. Then make adjustments as needed.

Sounds good, while I have your attention, I want to add a pan drain plug. Is a kit advisable or can I just drill a hole, weld a nut and get one of those "help" drain plugs?

TIA

That's what I do for a drain plug. I get one of the "Help" 1/2-20 drain plugs, drill a hole in the pan and weld a 1/2-20 nut to the inside of the pan.

My car is a we4.

Thanks for the drain plug info. That's what I shall do. I was advised to put it in the front pass corner. Is this where you put yours?

My car is a we4.

Thanks for the drain plug info. That's what I shall do. I was advised to put it in the front pass corner. Is this where you put yours?

I put mine in the back of the pan but that is to clear my transmission jack. The front right corner is ok too.

Thanks fellas.

My car is a we4.

Or contact Nick Micale & purchase a Hughes Deep Aluminum TransmissionPan. It comes with a 700-4r bottom feed filter. Just need to grind 1/4" off the rear filter support stands on the pans bottom.
It will add an extra quart to your tranny pan capacity too. The threaded drain plug allows for almost complete drainage of the oil, unlike a modified stock pan which will usually need a nut welded to the inside which creates a blockage as the raised nut area inside will not allow for the pan to empty completely.

Not too worried about total drain as the pan will come off to swap in a new filter. I am using a 700r4 bottom feed filter and running a quart over full on the stick. Plus the budget sez a $200 pan isn't happeneing right now. I am pleased with the setup. According to the gauge it keeps full pressure to third. More testing as I get the gov where it needs to be. I just love the way it shoves you back in the seat and the tires beg for mercy as the boost comes on. Almost surreal.

Well, we put the heavy spring on the light weight and the light spring on the heavy weight like it came out and Wallah, it shifts nice. Like silk at light throttle. Not harsh, not even firm just snaps through cleanly. I am ecstatic. Next is a trip to the track to see where it shifts at full throttle. It pretty much punished the tires at anything substantial.
Thumbs up for all ya'lls help
And a double thumbs up for the AA vb/gov and some plate tricks from Mr Husek. And and extra thanks to him. He knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Did you try the AA gov. in it's stock configuration? If so what were your shift points?
I'll get the scan tool out and see. We just took a quick trip to the store with the pressure gauge hooked up. I am stoked with the results. Thanks for your in put. I might drill the plate holes a smidge bigger if I have to drop the pan again but I am happy with it as it is for now.

Well, we put the heavy spring on the light weight and the light spring on the heavy weight like it came out and Wallah, it shifts nice. Like silk at light throttle. Not harsh, not even firm just snaps through cleanly. I am ecstatic. Next is a trip to the track to see where it shifts at full throttle. It pretty much punished the tires at anything substantial.
Thumbs up for all ya'lls help
And a double thumbs up for the AA vb/gov and some plate tricks from Mr Husek. And and extra thanks to him. He knows his stuff.

If you find you need to raise your 1-2 just takeout the spring from the big wt.

That was our first try. It pretty much wouldn't shift to second until 35 or so .
This is an AA. I think that is why we tried what you are saying as I read it in one of the posts about governors. My next trick would have been to try something different in the 1-2 vb spool. But this is working good.

That was our first try. It pretty much wouldn't shift to second until 35 or so .
This is an AA. I think that is why we tried what you are saying as I read it in one of the posts about governors. My next trick would have been to try something different in the 1-2 vb spool. But this is working good.

I realize that but you also had the soft spring in the small wt. I tried that too with my OG soft spring in the small wt. = high 1-2 but with the stock spring in the small wt. & no spring in the big wt. just raised the 1-2 a few mph.

I could try that. I had the light spring in the light weight and no spring in large weight. Had a hard time getting it to shift 1-2.
It is raining today so I doubt anything will go today. We might try some different stuff this w/e