No start with tr6.

m3x1c0

Bad luck Buick
All the connections are good. Flashes code 13. Runs fine with stock ignition. What should I look for?

If it tries to crank but doesn't start I would look into fine tuning the cam position sensor... You will find that the factory ignition is a lot less sensitive- and the CPS is possibly off more than enough to need to be fine tuned...
I don't have my instructions in front of me, but what is a code 13 on the TR6? That would help diagnose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I advance or retard? It was set by my builder and he knows what he's doing. According to the instructions it will run if within 20 degrees. I don't see it being that far off! Also inside the box the crank led is on but not the cam. What do those mean?

watch the CAM light while cranking, it should turn on and off as the engine turns.

the cam sensor must be timed to factory spec. the stock module is not very picky about this.

otherwise, you can also check for pins in the factory plug that have lost tension.

Bob

I've Been told the car has to be running to use cam phase mode. when I crank it the tach shows slightly retarded. Is that reliable or is it a crapshoot adjusting without a multimeter?

I just dealt with the same issue and it is the cam sensor setting. My car would run on the stock ignition module just fine but it would not start with the TR6.
There is a procedure to time the cam sensor and when I did it as per JD's instructions the car started up with the TR6 ignition and runs like a champ. Do you have a cam sensor tool?

I just dealt with the same issue and it is the cam sensor setting. My car would run on the stock ignition module just fine but it would not start with the TR6.
There is a procedure to time the cam sensor and when I did it as per JD's instructions the car started up with the TR6 ignition and runs like a champ. Do you have a cam sensor tool?
I don't. Isn't that what the cam phaser mode is for though? Could you point me to instructions?

the CAM led inside the TR6 can be used as a cam sensor tool.

B

Vader. I know my cam sensor is close like in that video just from removing the cap. According to a few threads I've found that the TR6 can be Very sensitive to the location. So perhaps being off few degrees will work with stock ignition but not with this module.

Bob I may have made a mistake with my plug wires. I can't verify just yet but will on my lunch break. Would getting wires mixed up cause a code 13 though?

..... According to a few threads I've found that the TR6 can be Very sensitive to the location. So perhaps being off few degrees will work with stock ignition but not with this module.

The stock module is pretty dumb, the TR6 expects the timing to be per spec. Its not overly sensitive unless your cam sensor is really sloppy....

The most common issues with this are people timing cam sensor before top dead center, when it needs to be after top dead center... or turning
the sensor the wrong direction looking for the trigger point.

Bob

I used the built in 'tool' to initially change my Cam Position Sensor location after I had the same issue and then when I replaced my sensor I used it too.... Works like a champ! And seems to be very precise.

Wires were correct. Cam light flashes while cranking in the tr6. Trying to figure out how to get engine to tdc at the moment

You can look up the proper procedures at gnttype.org or vortex-buicks
-but if it runs fine with the stock stuff you are pretty close already. You can use the cam phase setting, loosen the cam sensor hold-down and slightly re-clock until your LEDs/tach signal on the dash are in the proper location, then re-tighten and check. It will take a couple of tries to fine tune because the gears are helical and move slightly when they engage after tightening.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight, Mark balance at 25 degrees after TDC bring the engine around to that mark on the compression stroke.
Put the TR6 in cam phasing mode, loosen can sensor, key on engine off and adjust sensor until the tack reads 3000 rpm?

I have been getting it close with a volt meter and double checking and adjusting as needed with the cam phasing mode.

I know I fine tuned it with my car running but I thought u can still get a signal with key on. It's been a while.

It is a very easy tool once you get the hang of it. I have used it with the factory leds as well as a analog tach.

I love my TR6 went to a test and tune of sorts at the Airport no times but we got to launch and set up our cars, my converter is a little tight and I wanted to try some hard launches with slicks, set the 2step to pull 10 degrees of timing and was at 8lbs of boost when it launched car has never left like that before it was a riot!

cam phase checking is only intended to be used with the engine running.

set the engine at tdc according to the balancer, then rotate 1.5 inches further (continue rotating the engine in its normal direction.)

another way is to set the engine at tdc, and make a pencil mark thru the timing tab at 15degrees. then rotate the engine until this mark is at TDC, then make a mark at 10 degrees and rotate until this mark is at tdc.

then rotate the cam sensor clockwise until the cam light is off, then counterclockwise until the cam light just turns on.

B