No start with tr6.

Thanks Bob the pencil mark procedure makes sense, my balancer has a file mark I put on for reference now I can double check it!

Got it! Damn it Bob I wish I would have thought of that trick on the balancer!

Here is how I figured it out. First I brought the Number one piston to TDC, Measured out 1.45" on a strip of tape and then struggled for 30 minutes trying to affix that onto the balancer (I have thin fingers and still could barely reach it.) Once I got that mess figured out, I back-probed the cam sensor. Using a volt-meter, I then proceeded to curse and yell and spit all over the engine compartment before I gave up and just turned the sensor until the cam light came on. The damned Volt meter was all over the place and never showed 0 volts for more than a second. I probably need a better volt meter but I just tossed all that out.

At this point I had already spent forever trying every socket, wobble, flex, angled thing in my toolbox to loosen the cam sensor; Im not giving up now! So after adjusting the sensor with a guess and a wish I set the TR6 in cam phasing mode and turned the key. It fired right up! From there the sensor was only slightly off according to the tach. I adjusted until I got it right at 3k and tightened the sensor down. The sensor actually had a very much narrower margin than I had thought. I think the margin between the car starting and not starting was less than an 1/8 of a turn.

I was now way over my lunch break time but I drove the 2 miles to work and she ran great! Gave her one quick pull and man does this thing smooth out the powerband. Even Idling sounds better! Not sure yet if this will solve all those backfire issues I've been having but it definitely hasnt popped up any of the codes I'd been getting.

My one last question is about the cam phasing mode. When you turn the key to run without starting, the tach is supposed to settle on 3k. Mine settled at one "bar" above 3k which is either 3100 or 3200. I set the sensor according to that and it runs fine. Am I actually a little bit retarded right now and should set it down at 3k?

Thanks for clearing this up Bob. I knew I set my CPS like normal. And knew I tuned when it was running but forgot where I put my instructions... Definitely helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in cam sensor checking mode the tach sweeps and stops at **something**, start the engine and set the sensor so the tach reads that same **something**

this will work with good tachs, bad tachs, whatever.

Bob

in cam sensor checking mode the tach sweeps and stops at **something**, start the engine and set the sensor so the tach reads that same **something**

this will work with good tachs, bad tachs, whatever.

Bob

Exactly what I thought! Thank you so much Bob! This thing rocks so far!

Measured out 1.45" on a strip of tape and then struggled for 30 minutes trying to affix that onto the balancer (I have thin fingers and still could barely reach it.) Once I got that mess figured out,

Next time spin the engine so the TDC mark is facing down where you can see it add the tape and mark it.

Another way to set the cam sensor without any of that mumbo jumbo is on here in these forums. I was taught this by a guru. There is a pointer on the outside of the timing cover cam sensor hole. Line that up with the notch in the cam sensor for the cap. Make sure the window is opposite that on the trailing side, i believe its trailing. and drop that sucker in. Obviously get your engine to tdc compression stroke.

Another way to set the cam sensor without any of that mumbo jumbo is on here in these forums. I was taught this by a guru. There is a pointer on the outside of the timing cover cam sensor hole. Line that up with the notch in the cam sensor for the cap. Make sure the window is opposite that on the trailing side, i believe its trailing. and drop that sucker in. Obviously get your engine to tdc compression stroke.
Your signatures Gif pretty much sums up the cam situation quite nicely I think. Good to know though! You coming to MAGNA this year? Up for a rematch :)

Your signatures Gif pretty much sums up the cam situation quite nicely I think. Good to know though! You coming to MAGNA this year? Up for a rematch :)
Lol unless you can lend me some $$$$$ so I can get mine running again no chance of a rematch. Me showing up to Cecil again, most likely. Finally showed up to the monthly meet this month. Need a whole new heart for my beast :confused:.