no start troubleshooting

cetme1

My 87 GN would not start a few days ago. Battery appeared to be dead and would not charge over 60%. It was 3 years old so I just purchased a new battery. I do not drive the car often and it can sit for months in the garage.

After changing the battery, the engine still would not turn over. Interior lights would come on. Scanmaster not showing any problems. Car ran great last time I drove it. Tried charging battery and even jump starting, but the engine refuses to turn over.

Can someone point me to a trouble shooting guide? I have very limited time to work on the car and would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks.

You mean engine won't even crank ? See if your lights dim when trying to crank it, if so probably your starter.

Yes, the engine will not crank.

I tried turning on the headlights and then trying to start the engine, headlights did not dim. I know that could indicate a starter or solinoid prblem.

I noticed that with the ignition on (while trying to start it) that there is a loud ticking coming from around and behind the radio/steering wheel column area. Its very noticeable and ticks about every 2 seconds? Any ideas?

With the car in park, grab the column close to the dash and turn it counter clockwise till it stops.

Try and start.

While replacing the battery, my horn kept going off. I disconnected the horns since I didn't want to bother the neighbors. I was going to leave them disconnected until I finish repairing the car. Would that have any bearing on my no start problem?

Did the column move at all with your hand?

Does it move when you move the shifter?

Try starting in neutral. If that does not work, hold the key to the start position and move the shifter slowly through the gears. Make sure your foot is on the brake. If the car starts in gear it will want to move.

This will help determine if it's a nss issue.

While replacing the battery, my horn kept going off. I disconnected the horns since I didn't want to bother the neighbors. I was going to leave them disconnected until I finish repairing the car. Would that have any bearing on my no start problem?

I just hooked up the horns and tried again, no luck. BUT after about 30 seconds the horns start beeping. I had to disconnect them again.

Is this a security/alarm issue? The car has a GM black box under the dash under the steering wheel. It looks sealed so I can't check anything. Previous owner had a toggle switch under dash that controled the system. I usually leave it off.

Did the column move at all with your hand?

Does it move when you move the shifter?

Try starting in neutral. If that does not work, hold the key to the start position and move the shifter slowly through the gears. Make sure your foot is on the brake. If the car starts in gear it will want to move.

This will help determine if it's a nss issue.

Thanks again, but no it still will not turn over.

I just hooked up the horns and tried again, no luck. BUT after about 30 seconds the horns start beeping. I had to disconnect them again.

Is this a security/alarm issue? The car has a GM black box under the dash under the steering wheel. It looks sealed so I can't check anything. Previous owner had a toggle switch under dash that controled the system. I usually leave it off.

Box has GM GOODWRENCH SECURITY SYSTEM PRINTED ON IT.

Still can not find the source of the ticking noise.

Do you have a light that flashes 'security' on the dash ? My old one had one and it would activate the horn if you didn't open the door with a key. It stopped working for awhile and I found it was a loose connection at the door lock cylinder. You can get under the car and hit the ignition wire at the starter solenoid with a volt meter and see if your getting juice to it when someone else cranks it, might want to pull the orange ecm wire at the battery to be sure it doesn't start while your under there.

Thanks williamsgn.
No there is no light on the dash, never had one. There is suprisingly little information about gm's security system on the web.
I went ahead and ordered a new starter, Mine is still original so it's probably time to replace it, since I'm going to have to get under the car anyway.

Unless you have tons of miles on it, I wouldn't replace it but have it tested at the store, I would check the ignition wire down there first for voltage.

Old school test I did was to pull the ecm wire and crank the thing and make sure voltage didn't drop below 9-10v when cranking on a charged battery. Obviously you aren't cranking so you can't test till then.

I think the horn means something is wired in and causing a problem. Look into the wiring from the ignition to the starter. I'm guessing its one run of wire, mine is purple at the starter - hopefully still stock. gnttype.org has wiring diagrams - if the gm security box cuts into that ignition wire try to see if the voltage is being carried out the other side.

hi
i'm having the same problem as cetme1. it will not crank. But in my case the problem started after replacement of the trans.
Please explain "a nss issue". Could there be some issue with unconnected cables inside the trans?

regards Jan.

hi
i'm having the same problem as cetme1. it will not crank. But in my case the problem started after replacement of the trans.
Please explain "a nss issue". Could there be some issue with unconnected cables inside the trans?

regards Jan.

The nss switch is in the column.

There is a linkage on the driver side of the trans that needs to be connected in order for it to work.

Did the linkage get re connected?

no I did not dismantle the linkage.
I just dismantle the connection nut to the trans.
I checked the ECM code and the only code I got was" service engine soon" nothing more.