NO START! New Module, Coil and Crank Sensor

twstdv6

Hi, I was driving and everything was fine, parked at a friends and when i came out to start it, it would turn over but didn't start. I replaced the Ignition module, coil and crank sensor. Tripple checked all three and the crank is showing bars on the boost gauge while cranking, the ignition module is showing power and the coil is also new, but i get no spark! is there a relay of something else that may control this? was thinking it was the chip, tried 2 other known good chip, still the same thing, No spark! Any ideas are appreciated, lost here, only thing i can think of is maybe the computer went bad...:confused:

You forgot to check the cam sensor. Without a signal from it the car WILL NOT start.
Pull the cap, and see if the "wheel" inside is NOT spinning on it's own, it should be solid, not broken loose.

Hi,
I don't think a cam sensor can cause no spark,because the C3i system is independent of the ecm until 400 rpm or so. I think that cam sensor failure will cause fuel shut off only. Was the crank sensor adjusted? You need to get tech info,and follow the appropriate flow chart to handle this one. It is likely a power or ground issue. I have no other ideas at this time. Good luck with your trouble.

The crank sensor was adjusted correctly and as I assumed the cam sensor was more towards the fueling! I will also give that a look at and make sure it's spinning and aligned right.

If the CEL is coming on when you first turn the key on it's likely not the computer. If it isn't go look for fuses first then replace the ecm.

cam sensor will cause a no start!

Yes indeed! I use Steve Wood's procedure with my home made tool and it never works (I think my tool works backwards from Casper's). It spins over normal 4 or 5 revs and the next rev bogs down like it's got a 15:1 compression ratio, then a poot fire, then repeats over again but never starts. I always puzzle over why it won't start and then give it a 10° twist clockwise and BINGO!

Had a similar problem last night in my GN. Was out cruising with a buddy and the car just died pulling away from a stoplight. Just came out of nowhere. Had the car up to PA on Sunday and no problems at all.

Car cranks fine, battery has full voltage, and the ECM is working because I can use the ScanMaster. The AutoMeter tach will register RPM but the SM wont, and there's no spark advance on it either. Im thinking its either the cam sensor or the crank sensor. BOTH were replaced with Delco units last year, along with a brand new coilpack & module.

Gonna go out and play with shortly.

Any help appreciated.

Scott

Had a similar problem last night in my GN. Was out cruising with a buddy and the car just died pulling away from a stoplight. Just came out of nowhere. Had the car up to PA on Sunday and no problems at all.

Car cranks fine, battery has full voltage, and the ECM is working because I can use the ScanMaster. The AutoMeter tach will register RPM but the SM wont, and there's no spark advance on it either. Im thinking its either the cam sensor or the crank sensor. BOTH were replaced with Delco units last year, along with a brand new coilpack & module.

Gonna go out and play with shortly.

Any help appreciated.

Scott

Would you expect the ECM to know the engine RPM (and therefore the scanmaster) before the engine exceeds 400 RPM. I always thought that the cranking event took place in the Ign module the ecm was kind of oblivous to it until the engine fired.

For instance I do not see an RPM signal on the powerlogger during cranking.

I'm also trying to figure out a no start. in my case I have Spark, Injector, a new IGN module, Coil and crank sensor.

It's is firing the plugs but it's not very hot. And it has full voltage to the ign module.

Subscribe, I had the same problem as scojack 2001. I was at WOT and left off the throttle the car shut off and would not restart. Will crank over fine and I have fuel pressure but not spark. I did remove the cam sensor cap and it is spinning. I did not think it would be the cam sensor since the car shut off will running. I did not check fuses yet but that was my next step. I do have a known good ignition module that I will try after the fuses.

Aminga what is CEL

Sorry to hijack your thread

Subscribe, I had the same problem as scojack 2001. I was at WOT and left off the throttle the car shut off and would not restart. Will crank over fine and I have fuel pressure but not spark. I did remove the cam sensor cap and it is spinning. I did not think it would be the cam sensor since the car shut off will running. I did not check fuses yet but that was my next step. I do have a known good ignition module that I will try after the fuses.

Aminga what is CEL

Sorry to hijack your thread

Check Engine Light.

Did you check you fuel pump/injector fuse? We were about to push my car in the garage and my buddy said to check the fuses. This is the first one I went to. Blown 15 amp. Replaced it and the car started right up. The new fuse blew after about a minute, so I gotta check the wiring.

At least its not the crank sensor.

Hope this helps.

Did you assemble the new coil module to the coil pack? If so, you might have caught one of the coil primary wires under the coil pack between the module, causing a short. This can cause a start-up condition and rapid fuse blow.

The cam sensor will indeed prevent both spark and fuel if it's defective.

Fuse blowing can be caused by a shorted coil as well. Be SURE the parts you're using are factory original GM, especially the module itself.

I had this happen to my GN. Turned out to be the fuel pump prime/test wire built into the wiring harness behind the alternator. It was exposed and shorting out thus blowing the fuse.

Did you check you fuel pump/injector fuse? We were about to push my car in the garage and my buddy said to check the fuses. This is the first one I went to. Blown 15 amp. Replaced it and the car started right up. The new fuse blew after about a minute, so I gotta check the wiring.

At least its not the crank sensor.

Hope this helps.