No start in Va Beach

slow305

One Cool Guy
I have a no start situation. Car was running fine a few weeks ago when I pulled the header to have a EGT bung welded in. FINALLY got it back yesterday and car would not start. During the three weeks of down time, I installed a Powerlogger and a hot wire kit. Car has spark, fuel pressure, cam sensor working, all fuses good. Could I have fried the ECM or broken a connector while putting in the Powerlogger?

Double check your connections,does it has fuel pressure? try spraying some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it tries to catch. It's has injector pulse? Try a different ECM. You didn't mess with the cam sensor? The crank sensor?
Try a different module,coil pack. We'll go from there:biggrin:

I picked up a noid light, no injector pulse. Pulled out ECM again and yanked out the Powerlogger to see if it was fouling up something. Also changed the chip back to factory. Still nothing. Just went ahead and order another ECM from Casper's.

By the way, I called RK Buick, and they told me that they could get me a new one for the low-low price of $880. The parts guy said he could go as low as $620 though. We both had a good laugh at that.

I have spare parts you can troubleshoot with. Don't start tossing money at the car. You can get a Reman ecm locally for about $80.

No injector pulse could be the cam sensor.Sometimes the shaft gets alot of up and down play,the ring hits the cap and ruins the magnet or breaks/bends the ring. That maybe worth a look.

If that checks out it could be the crank sensor. If yours is original,there's a new design to replace the 1st design because it was failure prone.

BTW: RK Buick lost their Buick Franchise yesterday. I work at a GMC Pontiac dealer and can get any part cheaper than they will sell to you. My number is in my sig,if you need help just ask.

How do you check the crank sensor? Where are you getting these rebuilt ECM's from? Casper's charged me $236. I have a cam tool, and it lights up so I'm pretty sure that's good. I'll give you a call on Monday.

Advance Auto parts,they are made by Cardone(a major parts company). Caspers maybe selling a new GM one.

Cam sensor sounds like its good. I saw your thread in the general tech. You are on the right track. Use that troubleshooting tree. It won't steer you wrong.

Do you have a spark tester? See if you have spark. That should tell us if your crank sensor is ok.

Double,triple check all your recent work in the engine bay...just for peice of mind. Did you mess with the module/coil pak?

No, I didn't touch any ignition parts. I pulled off a plug wire and put a plug in and put it against the brake booster and had my buddy crank it. No spark. I called Advance and they said the computer was going to cost more than I got it for from Casper's. Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing.

For $30 try a cheapy crank sensor from advance. Sometimes they fail for no reason just out of the blue. It's 3 bolts. Get the new bracket also.

77148,the bottom one is correct. 86-87 Regal and 89 Trans AM.

Agian use that trouble shooting tree in the tech section. That's what we use at the dealership everytime if we are stumped. It won't steer you wrong.

I have a caspers ignition tester. Can put a load on the coils and CCI. I also have a spare ECM and cam sensor you can borrow. Marc

I don't mean to sound like it a know it all but check the pins to the ECM. I had a pin that was corroded and snapped in half on the ECM. Same car later destroyed the crank sensor.

Did you make sure that you have gas in the tank? Just joking, I remember when I bought my TR, the damn thing didn't want to start... I did pretty much everything I could. Come to find out that although my gas gauge was showing 1/2 a tank of gas, it was actually empty:eek: I put some gas and it started right up... This happen last year (True story).;)

That's awesome! Actually the first (and easiest) thing I checked was fuel pressure, since my gauge was already mounted. The ECM was looking pretty good for being 20 years old. No rust or corrosion or anything like that. Maybe a replacement?

By the way, is there ever any kind of Buick gathering in the area? I've never met any of you guys.

By the way, is there ever any kind of Buick gathering in the area? I've never met any of you guys.

Where you at? Last gathering we had was last winter. Turned out really good. We all finally met, etc. Then GDNF2ET, SteveV and myself went to Maryland International Speedway and beat hell of the cars for a little while!:biggrin: Other than that, we just have been talking about getting together but that's about it...

German

I live down in Va Beach off of Rosemont. I'm surprised you don't go down to Elizabeth City since you're in Chesapeake already. I went a lot back in 2006 when I had more time and the car was running like crap.

Called Casper's today and they're going to let me send the ECM back to them when I receive it. Thank God! That thing was $150 more than the one I ordered from Advance. So HOPEFULLY I'll get the car running by this weekend.

Got back from Baltimore this afternoon and picked up my new ECM, (by the way, thanks for the cheapy model Steve) and it fired right up. Thank the lord! I can finally drive it once again!

Just so you know there is nothing wrong with Cardone,they are a major auto remanufacture of lots of compents(brakes,electronics snd so on...) so don't feel like you've got junk in there.:biggrin:

No reason to get ripped of by the general.