No start: Fires with starter fluid need some help

I know what you mean, maybe a bad choice of wording on my part. Regardless, if the cam sensor is not set correctly the car will not start. Is that correct?

It has been my experience over the last 27+ years that if the cam sensor is set wrong, not only will it start, but will run and drive, although not all that well. Set 180 it will start and drive, set 90 0r so out, it likely will start, but not run well at all.
Now, with that being said there are cam sensor failure modes that will prevent the car from starting, such as broken shaft, sheared gear pin, sheared window pin. IOW a no rotation mode on attempting to start will not allow a start.
Once started though the cam sensor can be unplugged and the car will continue to run!

Yes especially if it's a whole revolution off

Sent from my LG-MS910

Nope..... as I stated above, if set 180 out the car will start and run, although not well.

IF the cam sensor internals are not rotating, then it will prevent the car from starting.

Ok got it .hope some one here will hit the nail on the head to get his gn started.?to see what was the problem.always learning.

Sent from my LG-MS910

But it wouldn't flash the noids on the injectors if the cam sensor were not turning? Did I miss something? Pretty much from the first post I read EVERYTHING is working electrically. Just the injectors are not supplying fuel. I would pull the fuel rail up and see if the injectors were spraying. Or try another set of injectors.

But it wouldn't flash the noids on the injectors if the cam sensor were not turning? Did I miss something? Pretty much from the first post I read EVERYTHING is working electrically. Just the injectors are not supplying fuel. I would pull the fuel rail up and see if the injectors were spraying. Or try another set of injectors.

By the same logic, if all injectors are flashing the noid light, then they're all supplying fuel, UNLESS they are ALL bad and stuck shut. Not likely.

Guys i much appreciate the input. Im flying to DC for some packet analysis training this week. Ill update the thread next week. Ill be testing a coil pack, resetting cam sensor, and taking off the rail to confirm injectors probably put a water bottle under each to see it spray. When i get back.

By the same logic, if all injectors are flashing the noid light, then they're all supplying fuel, UNLESS they are ALL bad and stuck shut. Not likely.
In a normal situation probably. Look back at page one. OP states all injectors were cleaned while engine was apart. Then left in open air for weeks. Chuck Leeper stated cleaning fluid would evaporate, and possibly leave the injectors stuck.

Can't you lift the whole fuel rail with the Injectors still in it, and crank it for a couple seconds to see if fuel is coming out of them?

Can't you lift the whole fuel rail with the Injectors still in it, and crank it for a couple seconds to see if fuel is coming out of them?

Ya, if you have a way to catch the gas, and the retainer clips are on all the injs..Otherwise, have the fire ext handy.:eek:

You could disable the ignition system during the test. The little bit of fuel that comes out shouldn't be a big deal.

Happy Holidays and new years guys!!! Got an update. A buddy helped me re-do the cam sensor just to be sure I didnt make any mistakes. Another local GN owner let me borrow his coilpack. After everything still no start. I sent the injectors to the same shop that cleaned them and asked them to check them . 4 injectors are shut and will not open. I asked them and they do not lubricate them after cleaning and are not willing to take responsibility of course. So now I need to shop for 4 120# injectors. This should be the cause of my issues!!! what are the odds ):

@Chuck... You think you can give the injectors a foam bath and try to bring them back to life or you recommend just grabbing 4 new ones? but then i guess ill still have to get the 6 flowed??

Try hooking 12 volts u.p to the injector, like directly to the battery and see if they will pop open. I was able to get two sets opened this way.

I've seen on a rare occasion where the light would light but the injector would not operate. Very rare but is possible. The problem wasn't the injectors either. It was the factory wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
4 out of 6 wouldn't open/flow on the injector flow bench ): the guy called later today saying he soaked them in flow test fluid and one more got unstuck. So 3 out of 3 now are flowing.

All this in 2 -3 weeks in the garage after cleaning. Pretty crummy experience. I guess if its not broke dont fix holds true sometimes

Chuck thanks you for everything .car is running . New injectors was the remedy.

U R most welcome....Flow fluid should not be used to clean injs...The fluid we use is not intended for that purpose.
As for "cleaning" them. He's full of :poop:. They were as dirty when he got done, and I got them, as when you gave them to him. Pretty hard to clean an inj that's lock shut.:rolleyes:

U R most welcome....Flow fluid should not be used to clean injs...The fluid we use is not intended for that purpose.
As for "cleaning" them. He's full of :poop:. They were as dirty when he got done, and I got them, as when you gave them to him. Pretty hard to clean an inj that's lock shut.:rolleyes:

I know who will be doing and recommending for injector service!! As far as MIC Turbo and Injection in Miami... Hit them with a crappy review on Facebook and will never see me again!!