No start: Fires with starter fluid need some help

If you don't have the map input connected to the I/O that is likely the problem.

When your cranking the map signal is not moving as it should. KOEO map should read between 98-100. When you start to crank the map signal should drop down I'm guessing in the 50-60 range. Once the motor starts and idles down it should be in the 40's.

Last edited:
You need the map signal connected to the powerlogger I/O for the sd chip to work.

When your cranking the map signal is not moving as it should. KOEO map should read between 98-100. When you start to crank the map signal should drop down I'm guessing in the 50-60 range. Once the motor starts and idles down it should be in the 40's.

If you don't have the map input connected to the I/O that is likely the problem.

it is connected. i was merely referencing a situation i had in the past where it fell off the plug and the car still cranked up. but it doesnt matter. ill go now and give it a seperate source. its also using Julios tps jump harness. did you see something in the log that i can reference so i can learn? i see the psi go from 0 to -2 up and down up and down as i crank. is that what i should be looking at? i can put up a screen print

#frustration: got rid of my gauge and directly connected mad to upper plenum , no dice. even tried my backup 3bar map so frustrating i could not log or monitor as my pc was not able to connect to the logger today . i kept getting a usb unrecognized error. One thing i found ODD. was i could have sworn that every time i used to disconnect my ecm battery plug (orange wire) and connected it again i would hear some sort of clicking and ticking no even with the key not in the ignition. can anyone validate this bc im not hearing squat right now except with the key in the ON position.

when you said you reset the cam sensor .was it taken completely out ? if it was was the engine rotated when it was out ?and then when it was put back in the wrong orientation if so you might have to give it 1 revolution to 20* btdc. if it wasn't taken out then disregard what i said.then i would go back to all the settings in the chip and double check everything as if your putting it in for the first time make sure its all right .i am no expert but sometimes you have to go back words before you go forward.just tring to be helpfull i know how these cars are love hate .

I will run a new green wire to the input board just for kicks. The only difference now is i taped and loomed a bunch of wires together. Unless that is somehow causing signal interference. There are a few power and singal wires together. One is a 4 awg. The signal board is connected. I would love Eric to chime in on this bc the way it cranks is the same without the map sensor connected at all.

The log looks pretty normal. The computer is commanding the correct pulsewidth for cranking. The MAP sensor is not used at all during cranking, so it doesn't matter what the reading is at that point.

The video sounds like it is firing, but not correctly. Like maybe only 2 cylinders, or maybe the cam sensor setting is not right.

Have the spark plug wire locations been confirmed?

Last edited:
Put a meter across the coils while you are searching. Have you pulled a plug and spun it over to see if it is sparking?
Have you got another set of injectors/matching chip to try?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It seemed the map signal should be moving more while cranking but I was mistaken. I had to verify on my own car. The map signal does not move much till the motor is started. Did not mean to misinform. Sorry.

I keep going back to the video and wondering why it does not pop right off with the starting fluid. For as much as you spayed, it should have lit up right now and ran strong for a few seconds. Instead it comes to life slow and struggles to run. Like something is blocking air from getting in or out of the motor.

@TurboBuRick No worries man im willing to try anything to be sure. A local gn owner is willing to come over and let me test his coilpack next week. Crappy rain hasnt let me recheck the cam sensor. I did put a plug on each wire by groud source and they all sparked. Im sure theres nothing clogging the turbo but if all else fails ill take off the intake and make sure the 1200s gaskets didnt move around on install. It bolted up no issues so i cant imagine the alignment was that off. Im going to check all rockers are moving.
Plan of action:
1. Check cam sensor
2.check known good coilpack
3.try to borrow some injectors/chip
If no dice then
4.take off intake n valve covers
5.if nothing set it on fire lol

Cam sensor has NOTHING to do with ignition timing.
I know what you mean, maybe a bad choice of wording on my part. Regardless, if the cam sensor is not set correctly the car will not start. Is that correct?