No oil pressure

Tim_D

I’d like to hear some points of view regarding which major purchase to do first.

I see the advantages to alky being you can benefit from more boost right away. But the (relatively small) turbo upgrade I have in mind will increase efficiency, as long as I run it with sensible levels of boost.

I’m leaning towards alky.

a stock turbo will be maxed out at 24/25 psi ...so id go alky if you want to turn up the boooossstt...
I probably won't go over 20psi or so with the stock turbo, with alky. Running about 15psi now.

I'm likely maxing out at about 25psi, with an upgraded turbo. A car capable of high to mid 11's is plenty fast enough for me.

I probably won't go over 20psi or so with the stock turbo, with alky. Running about 15psi now.

I'm likely maxing out at about 25psi, with an upgraded turbo. A car capable of high to mid 11's is plenty fast enough for me.
I remember saying if I can just get in the 12’s I’ll be satisfied. Now ten years later and lots of $$$ and the pain of learning I’m looking for low 10’s. It’s a great addiction. But I recommend getting Alky first for the safety factor. Good luck!

QUOTE="SCOOBY DOO, post: 3913996, member: 22963"]
Powerlogger
[/QUOTE]
How stupid of me
I wish that came first On my combo , might have been able to figure out why I kicked the rods out of my OEM. Our better yet not kicked them out.

Make sure every system working perfect before considering either. Much depends on what mods you have, how much you want to spend (easily double that figure) and how good your relationship with your wife is.
I'ld go fuel improvements, trans improvements, Powerlogger, alky/chip and tires before turbo, unless it's failing.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments so far. I guess I owe a little more background.

The trans was gone through last spring. It was shifting from first directly to third (due to a smoked band), and it got new clutch packs prior to reassembly. I installed an FTI 12" converter (lockup, 2400rpm stall advertised). It has a Hughes deep pan and the 700R4 filter.

The engine is installed in a non-TR chassis (early GM A-Body). As such, the fuel system is not stock. It includes an EFI tank from Tanks Inc. and has the Walbro GS340 pump in it. I have some 42lb injectors waiting (thanks @hensleyt), and I have an adjustable FPR.

Engine currently is basically stock. I was reassembled with new gaskets (with Fel Pro head gaskets.. Wish I'd done the RJCs), a link style timing chain with iron gears, and all new sensors prior to installing in the car.

I guess I'm going to have to research the powerlogger. I'm assuming this tool is an aid to make sure everything is working as it should prior to mods? If I need a laptop to use this, I guess I can add that to the list.. :(

The car currently has the stock BOP 10-bolt that came in the car, open diff, with 3.23 gears. I'm still deciding if I want to keep this and install a posi, or bite the bullet and get a 3.50-geared Ford 9".

I remember this car I I love that car.
You was not going to be racing it just a cruiser. Did that change?
Powerlogger probably not need Unless you race it.
I have lots of respect for those old BOP 10 bolt. Never broke one in any one of my GTOs
The 5857 and 5858 And a steppingstones for use shy beginners. These are getting to be old turbos ,keep your eyes open for one of those. Not best converter for it. 6262 can make good power and definitely a 10 second turbo You’ll need a converter for sure.
Nice seeing you around enjoy your car for the summer

@conn84gn, I do have a Scanmaster installed currently. For those interested, my vehicle build is in the Hybrid section, at the link below:

'64 Special Build Thread

@hensleyt, I do not plan to regularly race this car. Maybe once per season or so. Mainly I would like to have something that lives up to its "sleeper" status. Not many coral-colored '64 Buick Specials ran 12 flat 1/4s from the factory.. ;)

I'm not as concerned with the strength of the stock rear end, in as much as I am stuck with the 3.23 ratio. This is the maximum ratio I can run in a 2-series BOP carrier. The only reason I'm considering an upgrade is to use the preferred 3.42-3.55 ratio. And a 9" Ford can be had for ~$1800 with trac-loc posi, and custom built with GM housing ends (allowing use of the stock aluminum drum brakes I scored a year back).

Sounds like, given that my engine state of tune is currently good (which I believe it is), the methanol injection would be the preferred preliminary power adder.

Alky will save you from yourself, a little bit bigger turbo and lame 91/93 octane pump gas.

Friggin' cool build!

P.S. A bigger turbo comes with a lot of other necessary upgrades, if want it to work right.

Last edited:
Oh ya, I remember that build. Cool car. The Powerlogger is a nice tool for tuning and also keeping check on all the systems the ECM looks at. The best feature is you go back and look at a log and actually see what's happening. It's hard to look at the Scanmaster while at 25psi, LOL. The Alkycontrol kit is the best on the market for Buick engines. You'll need an alky chip too.

But the (relatively small) turbo upgrade I have in mind will increase efficiency, as long as I run it with sensible levels of boost.
on the stock motor,you will need to make boost past the effective stock turbo levels in order to see a performance gain.an example of this is,stock turbo run at say 24psi and you put a bigger turbo on you will need to make 25/26+psi to see a gain.either way you will need alky for octane and cooling the air temps.this one of the most easiest,cost,effective things you can do to the car performance wise.

on the stock motor,you will need to make boost past the effective stock turbo levels in order to see a performance gain.an example of this is,stock turbo run at say 24psi and you put a bigger turbo on you will need to make 25/26+psi to see a gain.either way you will need alky for octane and cooling the air temps.this one of the most easiest,cost,effective things you can do to the car performance wise.
I’m running about as small turbo as anyone,and busting 25 lb to go constant 11.5 @ 118-119 and it’s not stock..
Stock heads and cam same turbo 12 flat and a few 11.90 @114. This car is vary street able.
What back tires do you run? The 3.23 gear my be ok. Most of us run a 28 in tall tire.I can’t remember but a 26 was a big tire bake in the day on a old GM car without some modifications.