Harley Davidson Owners Step Inside

SCOOBY DOO

BASED CANADIAN PATRIOT!!
Ridden bikes my whole life and currently own a 2006 50th Anniversary Yamaha R1 and a 2014 Honda CRF 250 L, both purchased new. Should I go with fuel injection or would a carb'd bike be okay. I retired in December, and it's time to do some cruising. TIA

hello people; I've been riding a while and the sound of less maintenance and more riding is sounding good to me. So that means a newer MC and that means FI.. I don't mind carbs but everything I hear about FI bikes is great. It would be just like your TB you change something and the computer does the work with some reprogramming....If I was about to retire that's what I would do but don't let a carb. bike scar you...

IBBY

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Really comes down to intentions, budget, and comfort level.

I had a 2000 Buell X1 Lightning Millennium Edition with their Dynamic Digital Fuel Injection.
It seemed to run well.

3F9675E5-EE7A-460A-B988-3147AB284238.jpeg

383D9F27-87BB-4CE7-9320-54641CA7E6F5.jpeg

Fuel injection or nothing at all for me.
2013 crf450r 2005 harley Road king classic
e26a6920d9aaffd62b087b843ad9eec6.jpg
0f0a1349643e00209b317c9b0ad2605a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've ridden almost every model of street, dirt bike and Atv made from 2000-2008 built by Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris with a few carbed Harley here and there. I worked as a motorcycle mechanic at a dealer for those years. The efi stuff ran the same as carbed. Basically no perceptible difference. Only thing you might notice is using the choke, which I found super easy mostly.

I've ridden almost every model of street, dirt bike and Atv made from 2000-2008 built by Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris with a few carbed Harley here and there. I worked as a motorcycle mechanic at a dealer for those years. The efi stuff ran the same as carbed. Basically no perceptible difference. Only thing you might notice is using the choke, which I found super easy mostly.

I'm up here in Canada. Would EFI be easier to start in cold weather?

I don't own a Harley but can say this bike with a carb got me to the top of and over the Rockies just fine
Screenshot_20200508-192309.png

Most of the pro-EFI bike guys I've run across, were the ones that failed to drain the carb bowls & use fuel stabilizer prior to storage. Then they had to take the bike to a shop to have the carbs cleaned every Spring.

I owned an FJ1200 for a while. It had a fuel pump & remote petcock due to the shape of the fuel tank. I was always concerned about those carbs being fouled because I could not close the petcock & run it dry. I use Lucas fuel stabilizer & I also add a small amount of Honda 2-stroke pre-mix to prevent rust inside the fuel tanks. It worked well & it always started in the Spring.

I've yet to own an EFI bike, but will someday. Won't have a choice after a while.

The neighbor across the road bought a new harley a few years ago, big into bikes and knows his stuff, FI and all the bells and whistles mostly for $28k. Up the road another biker bought a new harley last year and its spent more time in the dealership getting worked on. The japanese bikes, I hate to say, seem to be the most reliable. I prefer simple so would go with a carb. Years ago had a honda CL-350, put a dirt bike front fender on it and the more you beat that thing the better it ran. Talk about easy to work on. And didn't have to put a piece of cardboard under it. :D
How about a nice 4wd atv to explorer the back country?

The neighbor across the road bought a new harley a few years ago, big into bikes and knows his stuff, FI and all the bells and whistles mostly for $28k. Up the road another biker bought a new harley last year and its spent more time in the dealership getting worked on. The japanese bikes, I hate to say, seem to be the most reliable. I prefer simple so would go with a carb. Years ago had a honda CL-350, put a dirt bike front fender on it and the more you beat that thing the better it ran. Talk about easy to work on. And didn't have to put a piece of cardboard under it. :D
How about a nice 4wd atv to explorer the back country?

Already got the CRF for that. :)

Just take my 53 Fl out of garage. This riding season starts again. No electronic bikes for me. Points and carb brings you home. It takes couple of evenings to make mainentance. Checking and degreasing wheel bearings, chancing oil for engine and gearbox, chancing brake fluid and checking bads, oiling cables, adjusting clutch and mousetrap and waxing chain ( I use whitewall tire so it take time to lubricate chain that it isn t mess the wheel)