No hvac fan, smoke from vents

BoilerDeez

Hello all, just purchased a T and noticed this morning driving to work that when i turned my hvac on to vent and fan on high, it failed to blow and I could smell/see smoke coming from my vents. Where do I start? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sound like the blower motor resistor either failed or heated up due to lack of airflow from the blower not functioning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second what precizion818 said, same thing happened on my 84 GP that I have now, back in the day, it happened to my 81 Monte
My 83 Regal and my 82 GP.
It’s a common G body fault, think the last one I bought was like 22.95 at car quest

Sound like the blower motor resistor either failed or heated up due to lack of airflow from the blower not functioning

Doesn't appear to blow at any speed, but on the way home, I left it on speed 1 and it at least didn't smoke and smell like it was burning up...

Second what precizion818 said, same thing happened on my 84 GP that I have now, back in the day, it happened to my 81 Monte
It’s a common G body fault, think the last one I bought was like 22.95 at car quest
Thanks guys. So should I just change out the blower motor and resistor all at once? Any good place to get these at?

Thanks guys. So should I just change out the blower motor and resistor all at once? Any good place to get these at?

I got all the parts from Autozone or Advance when I did it. Go for the metal version of the blower motor fan while you at it. People claims it blows stronger..... I can tell but it felt like it may have ... lol

Got a blower and resistor on the way! Ill just change them both out and see what happens. Thanks!

High is when i noticed the smoke. Hope i didnt fry some wiring. Understood that high speed bypasses blower resistor. Thanks!

So... what are these melted connectors to relays? These are mounted along the fender on the passenger side under thr hood. Thinking i should likely start here...
5ca9962c328211ea91ecf11a6b09806f.jpg

Fuel pump relay- should be the one unplugged
A/C compressor relay- plugged in
Unless they have been replaced or got switched around, I would probably replace the A/C relay also, it wouldn’t hurt, seeing as that one is probably 30+ years old
Just my opinion
Good luck getting it sorted out, super group of folks here, always willing to help.
And there is a TON of info archived, always try searching, and more than likely you will find what you need.

Great info, thanks guys! Was told car has fuel pump hotwire which would explain the unplugged connector.

Just to update, swapped out the blower motor and that seemed to be the issue. Fan blowing at all speeds now. Thanks for all the help!