no brake lights

jason walker

my friends car he just bought has some wiring issues when he hits his brakes they work but if he hits his left turn signal on the third brake light blinks so I stated investigating and seen where someone had spliced into the third brake light wire to power the brake lights so went to fuse box no power on any wire except blue wire which is third brake light why does he not have power at fuse box on yellow and green wire which is left and right tail light any ideas why it would not have power checked all fuses none blown plus instrument lights do not work either , stereo and ac control light up but nothing else [[[ please help ]]]

The white wire from the brake switch goes up to the column turn signal switch. The hazard and turn flashers also go to the column turn switch. There is a connector right under the column that these wires pass through. I've had issues with the wires pulling out of the terminal of the connectors.

Here is the wiring diagrams (for an '87):

TurnBrake_0.jpg TurnBrake_1.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

thanks I will check that out this evening you are the only one that has responded to my post so thank you !

As can be seen on the wiring diagram, the third brake light signal should come from a different switch under the dash, it should basically be a strait shot to the 3rd brake light, I believe. The brake light signal , as stated, will go to the turn signal cam and split to left and right sides. Once you get the two circuits seperated then you can start to diagnose the system. Keep us posted

OOOPS, looks like the same switch for both signals, I was wrong. That connector sounds like a good place to start

The white wire from the brake switch goes up to the column turn signal switch. The hazard and turn flashers also go to the column turn switch. There is a connector right under the column that these wires pass through. I've had issues with the wires pulling out of the terminal of the connectors.

Here is the wiring diagrams (for an '87):

View attachment 202817 View attachment 202818

RemoveBeforeFlight

I was wondering if you could repost the diagrams ? As you know they were wiped out in the crash and now I need them.

Thanks,

Michael