nightmare

alb84

Grumpy, Greasy, Old
It ran great for a day, then started with a miss, and now it won't start. It will try to start and then acts like a cross fire, or waste spark back fire and quits. Here is a list of new parts. ECU, chip,coil pack,ignition module,cam sensor,crank sensor, balancer, and mass air. The wiring harness is open and no melted wires to be found. What am I missing? A brain? Well maybe. Any ideas out there? Thanks. Later....Danny

It's possible one of the new items you have put on has already died.
Just cause it's new, doesn't mean it's good.
your description indicates a cam sensor or ignition problem...possibly the Maf too (although they will usually start with a bad MAF)
Verify the cam sensor setting, maybe you forgot to tighten it and it has turned.

Sounds like the plugs are fouled, especially if it rasn fine the day before. Pull em and see if they are soaked.

I am begining to think that it has some sort of capacitive or static problem in the ecu. If the car sits with the battery cable off for a couple days it will run. The longer it sets, the longer it will stay running. Yesterday it was sitting for about 16 hours with the cable off. It ran for about 3 min. and then started what sounded like a miss fire and then combustion on the waste spark every 15 seconds, then every 10, 5 ,until it would not even start. In 16 years of playing with GNs I have never run into this. Anyone have a similar experience to share? Or better yet a solution?Later.....Danny

You might check and/or R&R the plug wires. I had a very similiar problem with a GN that turned out to be my NEW and HIGH dollar if I might add, Taylor wires. R&R'ed the wires and low and behold the motor ran like a top!!

I did not change all that. It was done while it was in 3 other shops before it landed on me. I replaced the crank balancer, and key. It was cracked, seriously cracked, and had killed the crank key, and sensor. So I have replaced the crank sensor, and the original cam sensor. All replacement parts are from NAPA mainly bacause the owner of the car works there. I have found several real problems while on this journey, but not THE problem. The coil pack (New) had a broken connector on the bottom. Not the problem though. No codes(at least not any more).While on the scanner the chip ID# was changing every 5- 10 seconds but it has stopped doing that now. It's got multiple personality disorder! I have so many hours in this I have developed a few new personalities myself. Of course I understand that new doesn't allways mean good, and I will continue to test and retest these parts. A new direction to look is needed. I feel my core is becoming unstable. Help! I'm melting.....Melting.....Melting away to nothing! Later....Danny

Almost sounds like a bad ground somewhere. As it runs for a while it heats up a smaller ground wire causing too much resistance. Just my $.02