NHRA helmet rules 2006????

pacecarta

LOGGED OUT
Staff member
does any one have the transcript of the new 2006 NHRA helmet regulations

i need to get a new one this season

also because I cant read the tag in the one i have now any one have a link to how to determine what size helmet you need to order without actually going and putting one on your head ,

According to the 2006 NHRA rule book in General Regulations section 10:7 Helmets & Goggles:

"As outlined under Class Requirements, drivers in all classes, including motorcycles, must wear a helmet meeting Snell or SFI Specifications. Snell K-98 is acceptable in place of any Snell M-rated helet.
SFI Spec 31.1A = Snell SA, open-face helmet
SFI Spec 31.2A = Snell SA, full-face helmet
SFI Spec 41.1A = Snell M, open-face helmet
SFI Spec 41.2A = Snell M, full-face helmet

Drivers of NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E.T. cars (13.99 or quicker) must use a helmet meeting Snell 95, K98, 2000, 2005 or SFI 31.1, 31.2, 31.1A, 31.2A, 31.1/2005, 41.1, 41.2, 41.1A, 41.2A, or 41.1/2005 Specs."

"Modifications to helmet/visor/sheild are prohibited. All helmets must have the appropriate certification sticker affixed inside the helmet"

Everything else in the section refers to open bodied cars and funny cars.

Steve

thanks steve , look forward to seeing you out at the track this season
, 6 more weeks

i have a snell 95 but for some reason i thought oldbridge wanted 2000 or better for this year

No problem :) Hopefully I'll be ready, cars still apart right now.

I dunno what oldbridge wants but according to the NHRA Snell 95 expires 1/1/2007 so it should be good for next year(I hope scince I have a Snell 95).

So wait. Now no matter what speed you run in the quarter mile you have to wear a hlemet? I thought you only had to wear a helmet if you went faster than 14?

my85grandnation said:
So wait. Now no matter what speed you run in the quarter mile you have to wear a hlemet? I thought you only had to wear a helmet if you went faster than 14?

No according to the NHRA "Drivers of NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E.T. cars (13.99 or quicker) must use a helmet...."

However each track can add their own rules in addition to the NHRA and each state can add their own rules too, for example NJ requires all drivers to wear a helmet regardless of speed or ET.

HTH,
Steve

It's always a good idea to wear a helmet no matter how fast you are going. You may be slower than 13.99, but the guy next may run easy 10's. Say he gets a late star, what happens when he crosses the center line benind you as he is going 30mph faster than you.

Paul, went to the track yesterday(2/25)and tech said snell 95 is good this year. Figured I'd let you know for sure.

Steve

thanks steve
still waiting on an MSBC-1 from jack for the 86 and have a couple more items to do on the 87 but I can run as is right now , ill be there wed night