New turbo

xrunner123

Hi.
I am looking into getting a new turbo to replace the TE63E as I am leaking some oil into the exhaust. I've narrowed it down to the turbo and with a shaft play of 0.015 Precision says it is most likely the turbo or at least it's on its last leg. Instead of rebuilding I am looking for something new. From my research and talking to Precision the 6262 is a close match. Does that sound correct?

I'm not sure what options to get as far as housing. I have my external waste gate in the cross over pipe. My header flange is a 3 bolt with a 4 bolt for the TE63E.
Should I go with the buick housing with the 5 bolt outlet? or T3 4 bolt? I will get a new downpipe since mine is a 4 bolt pattern that Precision says they can't mate with. If I go with the 5 bolt outlet with no puck hole should I get the downpipe with the internal puck and just not use it?
Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190716_164326.jpg
    20190716_164326.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 81
Hi.
I am looking into getting a new turbo to replace the TE63E as I am leaking some oil into the exhaust. I've narrowed it down to the turbo and with a shaft play of 0.015 Precision says it is most likely the turbo or at least it's on its last leg. Instead of rebuilding I am looking for something new. From my research and talking to Precision the 6262 is a close match. Does that sound correct?

I'm not sure what options to get as far as housing. I have my external waste gate in the cross over pipe. My header flange is a 3 bolt with a 4 bolt for the TE63E.
Should I go with the buick housing with the 5 bolt outlet? or T3 4 bolt? I will get a new downpipe since mine is a 4 bolt pattern that Precision says they can't mate with. If I go with the 5 bolt outlet with no puck hole should I get the downpipe with the internal puck and just not use it?
Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
3 bolt 64/65 or 66dbb.

Or you can rebuild the turbo . Or sell it to me and I’ll rebuild it and run it .

Or you can rebuild the turbo . Or sell it to me and I’ll rebuild it and run it .

Will a 6266 pull the same at the TE63E?
Regarding rebuilds I see some diy youtube videos that just swap out the bearings. Is this something that I can do?
Or does it need to go to someone like Tim's turbo or a rebuild shop that will rebuild and balance the turbo.
thanks

Is it ball bearings or journal? It’s pretty easy if it’s journal bearing .

3 bolt
6262 jb will match its power and spool way quicker
6465 hpc Turbonetics will far supersede its power and still spool quicker then the te63

and i would change the vigilante converter

if you go 4 bolt its a whole different conversation..

It's jb.
Why would you change the converter? Works well at least with this turbo.
Its old school and not as efficient as todays 9.5 non lock converters especially if its a 7 disk lu , converter technology came along way since then. i ran a 5 disk 2800 that worked good till about mid 11s .
You will gain huge with a Ptc 9.5 or a Husek 3021.