New transmission wont shift from first to second, advice needed!

Steve

I bought a fresh, never used Brian Hoffer 200r4 from a board member in 11/2011. The previous owner bought it from Brian Hoffer about 3 years prior to that but never used it. Before I installed it I pulled the pan and looked around and it looked great. It was obviously a rebuilt and unused transmission just like the seller had stated. I put the trans in this past week with a new 9.5 PTC converter and when I test drove the car it would not shift from first to second at any RPM. I adjusted the TV cable but still no luck. I brought the RPM's up to 1500 in park and pulled and released the TV cable several times in the hopes that the TV valve might be stuck and this would free it up but no luck. The TV cable seems to be working correctly in that it is spring loaded when you pull it and it snaps back to its original position with no problems. I feel like the problem is something sticking due to sitting around for 3 years and I wanted to get some suggestions on what to check. Thanks for the help!

Have you got on it while driving? Sometimes you just need to run it upstairs to get it to shift the 1st time...might not work but worth a try .

Have you got on it while driving? Sometimes you just need to run it upstairs to get it to shift the 1st time...might not work but worth a try .

I did get on it pretty hard and then let off in the hopes it would shift once I let off but it still did not shift. I plan to take some pressure readings this afternoon.

check the govener spring

I am going to check the govener this afternoon to make sure the springs are ok. I have slung one off before some years back but since this one is built I hope the govener has the set screw mod.

mine set for a year after a rebuild,No 1-2 up shift ,My trans builder suspected a stuck spool in the valve body. He was going to send me a new valve body but I was willing to take it apart first .Not as hard as you would think ,got my trusty GM service book out and Wal La. Just make sure you get the map for the ball location.

Try your TV trick while driving. Full throttle/no throttle real quick several times while just cruising slow. I seem to remember a situation like this once & it was due to the jelly they use to put them together.

Hello, I too am having the same problem with an 85 T-type that sat for years. No 1st or 2nd gear. Just changed the fluid and filter in hopes of correcting it because the car sat about 13 years. I'm new to transmissions so I really have no idea where the tv cable is or how to adjust it. I did read another tread on another site and was asked to check the governor spring. There were no loose parts in the pan so I assume it's ok? Is that a bad assumption?

I have not driven the car since the fluid change due to bad weather. Will try later this afternoon.

Is there anything else I should look for before driving it?

Thanks,
Dave

Check the servo I went through this last year with one of his transmissions he turns down the inner piston to use as a spring seat mine had a large burr on the inside that was stopping the servo pin from applying it was an easy fix but hard to find

I have an update on my 200r4. I pulled the govenor and it was gummed up and the weights would not move. I took the govenor apart and cleaned it up and now the trans shift from first to second ok. It is working ok but its still acting a little strange. It may be fine once I run it some but I would be interested in hearing if anyone has other suggestions on what might need to be cleaned. Thanks

Throttle valve & Plunger, Shift valves in Valvebody are all that's left. As you said it may free itself up after some use.