New transmission shift question

Scarab

My car has a new Jasper trans in it. I called them and made sure it has the correct trans and valve body for a grand national. My question is that it shifts good 1st to 2nd, not a hard hit but a good shift. Then it bumps 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th. My old Grand national I had before would chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd driving it easy. This one will not. I cant tell if it does when I get on it because it blows the tires off of it all the way into 3rd gear before it will hook.

I took off easy and slowly mashed it, as the boost came up it starts spinning and smoking the tires, It turns sideways and then straightens back up still smoking the tires. Once it shifts to 3rd it tried to break your neck and puts you in the seat very hard.

what should I do to make it shift firmer 1st to 2nd without changing the tv cable settings. It is set correctly and shifts at the correct shift points but doesn't give me the chirp I am looking for.

I would call turbobuickperformance. He doesn't charge for advice.:) My TV cable has between 5 and 6 grooves exposed. it shifts very firm 1-2 part throttle. 2-3 has a nice positive feel. If I go tighter than 6 grooves exposed it bangs a little too hard for my liking. I just rebuilt mine though and the band is adjusted perfectly. I was messing with my TV cable adjustment for my own educational purposes, however once set correctly, the TV is not supposed to be used as a crutch for other issues. You can pull the pan to see if it has BRF written on the side of it., there's also two pressure switches on the valve body vs. just one on a regular 2004r. and the tag on the side of the trans should say BRF. you can check the governor also. I didn't touch a thing on my trans until I spoke to David first. He also has a specific break-in procedure after a rebuild. hope this helps. ;)

I hope you didn't trade your original trans in as a core. You are finding out the "hard" way why you don't want to get the local or in your case the volume builder unit. No matter what these people told you, your brf vb and governor are special and different than any other 2004r. The pieces can be duplicated but it costs.

Did they even put a "694" servo in it? Look at the round aluminum piece on the pass side there at the numbers molded on. It should end in 694 if it is a GN piece. This is the largest factory servo put in a 2004r by the factory(Yes there are two that were put in the th200 that one was larger and one the same size). A larger unit might help your 1-2 shift.

I put the over/under on your trans at six months before bigger probs arise.

As suggested, give David H a ring. Or Lonnie D. has a brf vb copy he sells if you traded yours away.

Let us know how you do.

I hope you didn't trade your original trans in as a core. You are finding out the "hard" way why you don't want to get the local or in your case the volume builder unit. No matter what these people told you, your brf vb and governor are special and different than any other 2004r. The pieces can be duplicated but it costs.

Did they even put a "694" servo in it? Look at the round aluminum piece on the pass side there at the numbers molded on. It should end in 694 if it is a GN piece. This is the largest factory servo put in a 2004r by the factory(Yes there are two that were put in the th200 that one was larger and one the same size). A larger unit might help your 1-2 shift.

I put the over/under on your trans at six months before bigger probs arise.

As suggested, give David H a ring. Or Lonnie D. has a brf vb copy he sells if you traded yours away.

Let us know how you do.

The transmission was replaced before I bought it. I call Jasper and told them the part number. They assured me that it is the correct trans for my turbo buick. Even though I always dont believe them. It shifts good and has firm 2nd to 3rd shifts but I wish 1st to 2nd would chirp the tires at low speed like the one in my other GN back in the early 90's. I guy named Chuck built my old one and it was bullet proof. I dont know where Chuck went and cant remember his last name but he was in columbus ga back in the early 90's and race a Grand National he owned. Super Guy. I will take a look a look at the trans as soon as I get the car out of the trailer and back into the shop.

You are talking about Chuck at Nashville Transmission. I still got one of his transmissions. I AM NOT getting this trans built unless he is BUILDING it... My trans would bang 1-2,bang 2-3, and would try to bang 4th... Whatever he did to this tranny, it was PURE HEAVEN... He was AHEAD of this Time.... I have been all over Georgia looking for him...I am almost to the point of marking the tranny, valvebody, and every other part on tranny and sending it to Dave Husek or either Lonnie.. I am almost sure there are some ONE OFF parts in it.... I can remember at Tech Session at Bowling Green years ago, a bunch of people were arguing over tranny mods and Chuck shut them up with his Valve body, front pump mods... This was the early 90's... He was also a racer. His modded GN would bark slicks 1-2, 2-3 and 4th... This Guy was awesome. If you find him or his whereabouts, PLEASE let me know...

You are talking about Chuck at Nashville Transmission. I still got one of his transmissions. I AM NOT getting this trans built unless he is BUILDING it... My trans would bang 1-2,bang 2-3, and would try to bang 4th... Whatever he did to this tranny, it was PURE HEAVEN... He was AHEAD of this Time.... I have been all over Georgia looking for him...I am almost to the point of marking the tranny, valvebody, and every other part on tranny and sending it to Dave Husek or either Lonnie.. I am almost sure there are some ONE OFF parts in it.... I can remember at Tech Session at Bowling Green years ago, a bunch of people were arguing over tranny mods and Chuck shut them up with his Valve body, front pump mods... This was the early 90's... He was also a racer. His modded GN would bark slicks 1-2, 2-3 and 4th... This Guy was awesome. If you find him or his whereabouts, PLEASE let me know...
I will, he was a great guy to hang out with and he made my old gn trans back in 90 chirp the tires on shifts without and trying. He did the front pump, hardened parts and valve body. It would shift at 5600 every time and was friggin awesome.

If that was Chuck Smithwick he is a crook. He went to Columbus running from ripping people off when he had Tech Transmissions in Nashville,GA. Mine lasted a week before flairing on 1/2 and 2/3 at 1/2 throttle. 3 of us had ours done at the same time. One guy couldn't even make it home 25 miles. The 3rd was done by Chip and it was great. He closed the doors but I got in touch with Chip and he redid mine and worked great for years. I watched chip tear mine down and the kit I brought down there had red clutches and "chucky" had put stock ones in. He ripped ATR off for at least a turbo and full exhaust. He took a customers car from Atlanta, put his wheels on and street raced several people in Nashville, GA. Even did a huge burnout in front of Hardees.
He had opened a Trans shop in Tifton,GA a few years back and it closed the doors too. I wouldn't piss on Smithwick if he was on fire. The GSCA used to praise him and even saw Lasseters GS there.
He did nothing special with his valve bodies but drill out holes and remove check balls. He hasn't done jack crap but copy someone elses shift kit and this came from Chip who reopened Tech Trans and made my trans good. I paid him to put blue clutches in the directs and redo the seperator plate.
Sorry for the rant.

I took mine up to his shop on a Saturday, I watch and helped him build my transmission with a new 10 vane pump and all the other good parts including clutches. He pulled the trans and built it and put it back in the same day. I left his shop and never had a problem with the transmission at all. It always worked great until I sold the car. Now I don't know where it is but Chuck did a great job for me. We used to go to silver dollar raceway with him and he was always great. I am sorry you had problems but I on the other hand did not. And I cant say anything bad about Chuck as he was a fun guy to hang around back in the day. Me Chuck and Ken Buckner all had GN'S and we all raced together at silver dollar. Always had a good time and always enjoyed it.

He was fun to hang out wit for sure till he screwed me and a lot of others over. He was up to his eyeballs in debt and got over on lots of people. I saw him at Silver Dollar a couple of years later. He got within 50ft and saw my car and turned around an went to steppin and my wife pointed him out. I shouted his name but he made a beline to his car and left. I was just married with a baby on the way and busted my ass off to save up for him to screw me over. All he had to do was the right thing.
Just tell him if you see him that Doug Tatum(me) and Greg from Tifton are the 2 that showed up at his apartment after Tech Trans closed, that he still owes us.....