New TR owner here , need help with choosing the right turbo

karol

Canadian limited
Yeah I get it. From this thread and many others I've read is stock turbo can take you far. "Stock down pipe has seen 11's" "get alky or E85 and keep everything" and so on. I'm just coming from the angle of -IF one has to replace a part, is there a suitable upgrade that without going overboard won't hurt performance but has room in it to expand. From my understanding a 58/5858 is the updated version of a TA-49.
I believe the 5858 is the updated version of the 49 as well .. I know from the precision site , the 5831 that is in they’re entry level category. It states that the 5831 is the “new “ ta44 .
I’m still waiting for a post where someone says , they went 10.90 on a flat tire , plugged cat & 2 missing plug wires .... but they ran a allky with a tune

hensleyt

Karol what 112/112 cam? Flat or roller.
And how much RPM at 0 boost with your 2800?
I talked to Patrick when he worked at Precision the 6262 and 5857 was just out. I went 5857 because my goals was 11.5 I was not going to put a roll bar in the car.
The new Gen II have the ability to make more boost and move more air to make that extra 100 hp. Me I like to keep my number under 30 it’s a street car.
I could entertain a turbonetics HPC you get a compressor map with it too.
If Borg-Warner made a 3 bolt I would be all over one of those
11.5 to 12.0 5858
10.5 to 11.5 62 mm
I feel your shipping pain were not hit in Hawaii as hard as you up there. So we need to study more than most because we hate spending twice.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
You're going around chasing your tail. Get the 49 rebuilt, Get a Powerlogger and Alky Control, tune to 26psi and run 11s.

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I’m still waiting for a post where someone says , they went 10.90 on a flat tire , plugged cat & 2 missing plug wires .... but they ran a allky with a tune
Here it is...
June 1988, Reynolds Silver Dollar raceway.
86 T Type company car.
Adj gate, cai, bias ply m/s, 6psi in rt, 26 in left.
All wires were good, the car was new, the dual 15 alky nozzles worked great.
Only reason it was as good a pass as it was, the stiff bias ply sidewall kept the rim off the track.
By the time I got to the timing shack, the rt was totally flat.
10.79 @ 131.

83 posts/opinions, is what you get when asking an open ended question.;)
My suggestion: Stick a GTQ70BB on it. :D

karol

Canadian limited
Here it is...
June 1988, Reynolds Silver Dollar raceway.
86 T Type company car.
Adj gate, cai, bias ply m/s, 6psi in rt, 26 in left.
All wires were good, the car was new, the dual 15 alky nozzles worked great.
Only reason it was as good a pass as it was, the stiff bias ply sidewall kept the rim off the track.
By the time I got to the timing shack, the rt was totally flat.
10.79 @ 131.

83 posts/opinions, is what you get when asking an open ended question.;)
My suggestion: Stick a GTQ70BB on it. :D
I knew you were out there somewhere ,

83 posts , I’m ok with . I’m always up for suggestions, or previous experiences.
like I said I’m new with this TR I’ve got and this is my first post ... it didn’t cross my mind that it would be such a loaded question. Honestly there’s been a tremendous amount of valuable information shared here .

karol

Canadian limited
Karol what 112/112 cam? Flat or roller.
And how much RPM at 0 boost with your 2800?
I talked to Patrick when he worked at Precision the 6262 and 5857 was just out. I went 5857 because my goals was 11.5 I was not going to put a roll bar in the car.
The new Gen II have the ability to make more boost and move more air to make that extra 100 hp. Me I like to keep my number under 30 it’s a street car.
I could entertain a turbonetics HPC you get a compressor map with it too.
If Borg-Warner made a 3 bolt I would be all over one of those
11.5 to 12.0 5858
10.5 to 11.5 62 mm
I feel your shipping pain were not hit in Hawaii as hard as you up there. So we need to study more than most because we hate spending twice.
Here’s the story .. I I bought this limited maybe 1.5 years ago , where I wasn’t even looking for a car .. 2 owner low miles , (60k on the clock ) mint .. for a price I just couldn’t say no ($3500)
they only catch was the.motor was hurt/ weak .. it was 100% factory except the ta49 and a cold air .
so I pulled the motor and sent it to a local machine shop/ builder that has done TR’s in the past . So he put in a set of rings and bearings, new set of je or trw slugs , arp bolts throughout, polished the crank and balanced assembly. Top end , he ported the heads and intake, new valve springs ( lt1)if I recall ..he said they were much stiffer , the turbos need it .. so I said ok, 212 cam flat lifters and new chain , 80lb Siemens injectors, incase I wanted to move up on the turbo in the future .
since the motor was out , converter went to a 2800 . TT CHIP , fuel pump , dutt neck etc
The only thing that didn’t get touched was the 49 . After driving for about a couple hundred miles , I noticed oil in around the pipes .. pulled the 49 , sent it to a shop and they said it’s toast . I don’t remember looking at the 0 boost rpm , I was just cruising the first couple hundred miles for the break in period . And here we are , turbo is done and not worth rebuilding.. same cost to rebuild as it to buy new for the same one ..
based on what’s been done... and it’s mainly a street car , little track time & street racing.
If it was your car , would you stick with a 49? 44? Or 58 ?

V6sleeper

Since the heads are ported or future champ irons you said are next, your combo fits a 62mm jb or bb, just verify the converter. 2800 stall doesnt mean much it could be a 12" off the shelf or spec'd for a NA application.

karol

Canadian limited
Since the heads are ported or future champ irons you said are next, your combo fits a 62mm jb or bb, just verify the converter. 2800 stall doesnt mean much it could be a 12" off the shelf or spec'd for a NA application.
Correct , the heads are ported .. and champ irons are definitely next years upgrade .
converter will be verified for sure and replaced with if needed . Along with a new chip and a logger and alky .
Would the walbro 255 I have , be sufficient for a 62?

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
Correct , the heads are ported .. and champ irons are definitely next years upgrade .
converter will be verified for sure and replaced with if needed . Along with a new chip and a logger and alky .
If the heads are professionally ported as mentioned, I wouldn't spend money on champion irons for your goal.

Maybe, try this;
Borrow a stock turbo, install it, run it and see what it does. Not ideal with what you have, but it will surprise you.

What oil are you running?

V6sleeper

255 walbro will be good for what your doing ,just make sure you have a hotwire kit and the proper voltage under boost .

karol

Canadian limited
If the heads are professionally ported as mentioned, I wouldn't spend money on champion irons for your goal.

Maybe, try this;
Borrow a stock turbo, install it, run it and see what it does. Not ideal with what you have, but it will surprise you.

Unfortunately I can’t get a turbo to borrow , I’m a lone wolf in my pack , only TR in my group . Everyone else is NA or nitrous
Since the motor is fresh , maybe 100 miles or so .. it’s got break in oil in it . What oil would recommend?

karol

Canadian limited
255 walbro will be good for what your doing ,just make sure you have a hotwire kit and the proper voltage under boost .
It does have a hot wire kit , voltage will have to check once something bolted on again and fired up

hensleyt

If it was your car , would you stick with a 49? 44? Or 58 ?
If it was my son’s I would go 49 because we want to keep it stock appearance
My car 58 or 62 and yes you has e enough pump for both.
If my 58 died I would be in the market for a 62 but not sure how’s I’d get

karol

Canadian limited
Probably best to start a thread on that

Maybe, try this;

I think he is joking.
There’s always a somewhere

karol

Canadian limited
If it was my son’s I would go 49 because we want to keep it stock appearance
My car 58 or 62 and yes you has e enough pump for both.
If my 58 died I would be in the market for a 62 but not sure how’s I’d get
Like you , I’m not super concerned on stock appearances . Think I’ll be going 62 .

karol

Canadian limited
Yeah I know about NA. Applications .. last car had a Neil chance & Bruno combo .

434nova

My advice is LISTEN to scooby. He’s not trying to sell you anything like a vendor will. Most will sell you stuff that is not needed for your goals. For low 11s or even high 10s a journal 6262 is more than enough turbo. If you have extra money get a ball bearing. Scooby is leading you in the right direction on his tried and true combo. No need to buy stuff you don’t need. You should look to upgrade the trans at that level. Spend your money there. Fyi a 6262 has been 10.20s on a stock motor with valve springs and timing chain, with 38psi and e85. So the turbo is definitely not a limiting factor. Plenty of room to grow if you do upgrades later on. But like scooby said get a powerlogger, maf translator and a lt1 maf. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.