New TR owner here , need help with choosing the right turbo

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Sure I have run alot of turbos,and have used many tnetics turbos.since you want to run 11.5 maybe a little quicker a 49/44 is more than enough.the tnetics turbos can be had in 62mm billet as well and are really good,the bb spools fast and works better with a tighter converter,however any journal will hit that mark.the tnetics single bb is much cheaper than a double bb pte or a triple bbb comp but you will usually need to go in mm to compete with pte and comp.your goals are not in need of latest greatest so chose wisely.fyi I went 10.6 on a 49 but I do feel it's an mid to low 11 sec turbo.no matter what turbo you choose you will not run a stock motor to 11.5 on 20 psi,so understand you will need to raise boost well into the 20s,if you are not prepared to do that then dont waste any money and run a stock turbo,its actually faster up around 22psi and lower.
His convertor is unknown at this point. What you do with a 44/49 and what 99% of what most others can do is a whole different ball of wax. :) Was waiting for you to jump in.;)

karol

Canadian limited
Sure I have run alot of turbos,and have used many tnetics turbos.since you want to run 11.5 maybe a little quicker a 49/44 is more than enough.the tnetics turbos can be had in 62mm billet as well and are really good,the bb spools fast and works better with a tighter converter,however any journal will hit that mark.the tnetics single bb is much cheaper than a double bb pte or a triple bbb comp but you will usually need to go in mm to compete with pte and comp.your goals are not in need of latest greatest so chose wisely.fyi I went 10.6 on a 49 but I do feel it's an mid to low 11 sec turbo.no matter what turbo you choose you will not run a stock motor to 11.5 on 20 psi,so understand you will need to raise boost well into the 20s,if you are not prepared to do that then dont waste any money and run a stock turbo,its actually faster up around 22psi and lower.
The 49 was ok to be honest , was in the operative word .. scored hoising , bearing pooched , need to be machined and oversized . Understand in Canada prices are steep . $ 1000 to rebuild a old 49
so I’m thinking of taking this opportunity to put in a converter , little tranny work , tuning and a upgraded turbo .. next year a set of champs or very well ported stockers and tuning of Course .

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
I may have missed it but read:
Stock cam, stock heads (?), stock transmission, stock boost, stock IC core . . . to me it all means stock turbo.

With the current combo, the car will be quicker with a stock turbo for the money. Spend the extra cash on a real converter, fuel system upgrade, alky injection, real transmission, wide band, power logger, and tires for now. Lol

karol

Canadian limited
I may have missed it but read:
Stock cam, stock heads (?), stock transmission, stock boost, stock IC core . . . to me it all means stock turbo.

With the current combo, the car will be quicker with a stock turbo for the money. Spend the extra cash on a real converter, fuel system upgrade, alky injection, real transmission, wide band, power logger, and tires for now. Lol
Ported stock heads , valve springs , new internals , new cam 212 , lifters , 80lb injectors , duttweiler intercooler , 2800 stall, 3 “ down pipe . Walbro pump , hot wire . Cold air intake ,TT chip as of now ... so no , not bone stock .

karol

Canadian limited
Ported stock heads , valve springs , new internals , new cam 212 , lifters , 80lb injectors , duttweiler intercooler , 2800 stall, 3 “ down pipe . Walbro pump , hot wire . Cold air intake ,TT chip as of now ... so no , not bone stock .
Forgot , wide band & M/T drag radials also ..
I’m sure I forgot couple bits but that’s the most part for now that’s in it

Nigel

The board history is full of turbo info, I would spend more time understanding the converter. You can see how much input and opinion just this topic has generated. The turbo is the easy part. To me a sloppy converter is one of the worst things that can be done to a car. Also, you have to choose the converter for the power the car is going to make in addition as to whether it can spool the turbo. How you drive the car is also important as to how much you are going to like it. A stock converter with a garret 63 on a 44/49 actually works very well with a well tuned car as an example (takes a little bit to spool at the line but slips very little at the big end). I went 11.60s with a similar combo to yours with a 44 and a stock converter as an example. A Husek 3021 LU put me in 11.50s and was excellent on the street and real easy to launch. My current combo also drives awesome on the street. This is just for reference because you are getting tons of feedback. A modern compressor wheel will probably surge less then the 44/49. Bison can rebuild your current turbo and give you a good suggestion on wheels for your intended purpose. He can also help you out getting a matching converter. Dave Husek can also provide you a great converter. Do yourself a favor and really think about how you are going to drive the car, get a modern turbo that fits, and then put a good converter on with it.

Last edited:

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
If you don't want to run more than 18 or so psi no other turbo is going to make you more power than a stocker. Any of the aftermarket turbos will shine with 20+. You'll need alky, E85 or race gas to run that psi. You're going to push a lot of air early so expect surging at 12psi with your setup.

karol

Canadian limited
The board history is full of turbo info, I would spend more time understanding the converter. You can see how much input and opinion just this topic has generated. The turbo is the easy part. To me a sloppy converter is one of the worst things that can be done to a car. Also, you have to choose the converter for the power the car is going to make in addition as to whether it can spool the turbo. How you drive the car is also important as to how much you are going to like it. A stock converter with a garret 63 on a 44/49 actually works very well with a well tuned car as an example (takes a little bit to spool at the line but slips very little at the big end). I went 11.60s with a similar combo to yours with a 44 and a stock converter as an example. A Husek 3021 LU put me in 11.50s and was excellent on the street and real easy to launch. My current combo also drives awesome on the street. This is just for reference because you are getting tons of feedback. A modern compressor wheel will probably surge less then the 44/49. Bison can rebuild your current turbo and give you a good suggestion on wheels for your intended purpose. He can also help you out getting a matching converter. Dave Husek can also provide you a great converter. Do yourself a favor and really think about how you are going to drive the car, get a modern turbo that fits, and then put a good converter on with it.
When I put up this original post, I never actually expected to get so much info and feedback to be honest . It just shows how much knowledge is here and how helpful the members are .
iam grateful to the community here for sharing their experiences and TR expertise
Nigel, Your reply is one of the most understanding and easiest to understand that I have received.
So if I stick with the 49/44 and the .63 housing , the cost of a new 44-49 is basically the same cost as a rebuild.. ( shipping from Canada to the states is astronomical )
From the research I have found the precision entry level turbo is The 5831 is a modern day 44 , there’s also the5931 .

karol

Canadian limited
If you don't want to run more than 18 or so psi no other turbo is going to make you more power than a stocker. Any of the aftermarket turbos will shine with 20+. You'll need alky, E85 or race gas to run that psi. You're going to push a lot of air early so expect surging at 12psi with your setup.
One of the reasons I was considering the 6262, is when I read Patrick Rubio’s tread on turbos .. he said in his opinion that the 6262BB should be the first turbo upgrade period .. and based on his level of knowledge, I thought it should have value . I’m not doubting anyone here whatsoever ever , it’s just such an array of options..
In one hand I’m recommend to stick with the 44-49 then a precision turbo engineer posts that a 6262bb should be the first upgrade .
is he wrong , in you’re opinion?

Nigel

When I put up this original post, I never actually expected to get so much info and feedback to be honest . It just shows how much knowledge is here and how helpful the members are .
iam grateful to the community here for sharing their experiences and TR expertise
Nigel, Your reply is one of the most understanding and easiest to understand that I have received.
So if I stick with the 49/44 and the .63 housing , the cost of a new 44-49 is basically the same cost as a rebuild.. ( shipping from Canada to the states is astronomical )
From the research I have found the precision entry level turbo is The 5831 is a modern day 44 , there’s also the5931 .
Yes both of those turbos are comparable to the 49, too bad about the shipping costs. The 31 is for the T-31 exhaust wheel which is identical to the one you have now. Compressor wheel is a machined wheel vs cast, so a little more modern.

Mr.Spool

His convertor is unknown at this point. What you do with a 44/49 and what 99% of what most others can do is a whole different ball of wax. :)
i understand ;) but you know whats interesting is he might not have an issue with his converter with wanting mid 11s,i have seen 9.5 vigilante s,9 inch nl art carrs,12 inch orange strips,just about every converter out there has gone mid 11s.im more concerned that this guy wants to spend thousands of $$$ on a car with no boost.and to top it off the 212 cam is not the right cam for a 44/49,the turbo needs to be bigger at that point.will it still do mid 11s ?maybe but not with 16-20psi.with a 212/212 cam and heads 64bb all day with a good converter.there is no spool difference in the 64/65 bb from tnetcs and a 62dbb from pte and the 64 makes alot more power if someone wants it and at that level you will need a better converter for sure.moneywise the tnetics 64 is cheaper.but......thats if we really want to spend his money:)in the end 10 secs 11 secs is still just that and a good converter, a jb turbo will be cheaper than bb anything to run those numbers.his cheapest way is to run that 49 and what he has to mid 11s.if not any turbo out there in this thread besides the stocker will run 10/11s.the bb lites it up faster and easier its like having more compression,but its not needed.

Pronto

You can't knock them up with spit.
No need for larger turbo, ported heads, 212/212 cam and stall converter if you never intend to run more than stock boost levels. My bet is you would lucky to see mid 13s with 16psi.

karol

Canadian limited
No need for larger turbo, ported heads, 212/212 cam and stall converter if you never intend to run more than stock boost levels. My bet is you would lucky to see mid 13s with 16psi.
Ok , well I can’t un-port the heads , don’t feel like putting it back to factory specs .
so if the boost need to cranked up , ok so be it .

V6sleeper

Ok , well I can’t un-port the heads , don’t feel like putting it back to factory specs .
so if the boost need to cranked up , ok so be it .
If your heads are ported professionally and your converter is of quality? and its indeed a 212/212 you were probably under turbo'd to begin with with a 49
Boost is only a number, my car at 20 and your car at 20 is 2 different animals im sure of it,20 psi isnt high by any means in this car, you just have to figure what your end goal is and aim for it,
if its a mild 400hp there's a recipe for it, if its 650hp with street-ability there's a recipe for it so on and so forth - 80 hp per hole is average for a modded lc2, most of us have spent 10s of thousands of dollars on these cars so we can help on cutting your cost in half once you figure out where you want to end up

karol

Canadian limited
16 to 20 psi yes very stock;)
If your heads are ported professionally and your converter is of quality? and its indeed a 212/212 you were probably under turbo'd to begin with with a 49
Boost is only a number, my car at 20 and your car at 20 is 2 different animals im sure of it,20 psi isnt high by any means in this car, you just have to figure what your end goal is and aim for it,
if its a mild 400hp there's a recipe for it, if its 650hp with street-ability there's a recipe for it so on and so forth - 80 hp per hole is average for a modded lc2, most of us have spent 10s of thousands of dollars on these cars so we can help on cutting your cost in half once you figure out where you want to end up
Yes the heads are in fact professionally ported , cam is 212 etc ... all that is said in fact true . Im a modest guy .. never intended to come here and post numbers I’ve run in my other cars . Which none of them were turbos .. and none were streets cars .
I’m a rookie on turbos , but not on mph or 60ft .

3-5.0

If you need to replace or rebuild the turbo which used to be a TA-49 and have to throw money at it regardless, I'd look at a TA-58 ?

karol

Canadian limited
If you need to replace or rebuild the turbo which used to be a TA-49 and have to throw money at it regardless, I'd look at a TA-58
Yes , In one of my previous posts I mentioned that either a ta58 (5858bb) or a 6262bb was a contender . So far , I think every turbo has been suggested to me from a stock oe up to a 6262 .

3-5.0

Yes , In one of my previous posts I mentioned that either a ta58 (5858bb) or a 6262bb was a contender . So far , I think every turbo has been suggested to me from a stock oe up to a 6262 .
Yeah I get it. From this thread and many others I've read is stock turbo can take you far. "Stock down pipe has seen 11's" "get alky or E85 and keep everything" and so on. I'm just coming from the angle of -IF one has to replace a part, is there a suitable upgrade that without going overboard won't hurt performance but has room in it to expand. From my understanding a 58/5858 is the updated version of a TA-49.