New TR owner here , need help with choosing the right turbo

karol

Canadian limited
Hi all , proud new owner of a TR limited .
this is my first post , hope I have it in the right section . I need some help with choosing the right turbo , and any other advice is greatly appreciated.
Just bought a 87 limited , it’s a stock block with new internals , mild cam, ported stock heads with lt1 springs , ta-49, . Precision .63 housing ,dutt neck, 50lb injectors 3” down pipe ,2800 converter .
the turbo is leaking I’ve been told it’s a 49 but after taking it apart , there is no numbers anywhere. So I don’t know even if it a 49 . I’ve been told it’s a 90’s era turbo
So since everything else is fresh , I’d like to get a new turbo setup.. what’s the best combo based on what I have ? Te-44 ? New ta 49 ? Something else ?
much appreciated for any knowledge to share

karol

Canadian limited
Thanks ! From what research Ive found there’s a few 58 mm out there .. would the te44 be my best bet ? With a .63 housing ?
It’s mainly a street car ,

V6sleeper

Thanks ! From what research Ive found there’s a few 58 mm out there .. would the te44 be my best bet ? With a .63 housing ?
It’s mainly a street car ,
Any te44, ta49,pte-5858, mfs 58 will work, .63 Garrett would be your best bet but not easy to find anymore , the bigger .63 pte will work fine in your set up. stay away from the .85 housing with the 2800 converter you have

karol

Canadian limited
Any te44, ta49,pte-5858, mfs 58 will work, .63 Garrett would be your best bet but not easy to find anymore , the bigger .63 pte will work fine in your set up. stay away from the .85 housing with the 2800 converter you have
Awesome thank you for you input , I’ve got a precision.63 from a old 49 that I can use ,couple more questions if don’t mind .
1. I’ve the stock elbow , should I clean up the inside casting ? Or replace it with a new 1 piece down pipe ? Running a 3” at the moment .
2. will I need to replace the chip if I go with a 44 ? What’s in there now is based off a 49 .
3. running a stock maf at the moment , is the lt1 worth putting in? If it’s just a street car .

hensleyt

58 mm is new tec. Good down pipes have some advantages but you can’t full anybody that it’s stock. If that’s ok I would go 58 and new down pipe.
dose it have a TT chip if not time to move forward there too

karol

Canadian limited
58 mm is new tec. Good down pipes have some advantages but you can’t full anybody that it’s stock. If that’s ok I would go 58 and new down pipe.
dose it have a TT chip if not time to move forward there too
Already got the TT , I’ll look into a new downpioe .. not concerned about the stock look . I’ll shop around for a 58 mm ... appreciate the info !

GNVYUS 1

Leaking as in, oil getting past the bearings into the comp/exh wheels or leaking past the oil return tube?

A new 58mm PTE etc is a great street turbo that'll make nice power without serious fuel needs and other needs.

Go slow, there's a learning curve to these things.

626gn

Already got the TT , I’ll look into a new downpioe .. not concerned about the stock look . I’ll shop around for a 58 mm ... appreciate the info !
What are your foreseeable goals for your car? If not looking to go faster than high 11’s or so I would put the downpipe money towards other things. You mention your current downpipe measures 3”, if that is correct then it’s already an aftermarket piece (stock was 2.5”). Maybe it’s a Kirban replacement that uses the stock elbow? If money is not an issue and you just have the urge to put cool parts on your car, go ahead and get a new downpipe, nothing wrong with that either. Just make sure you got your car lined out and without issues before you start throwing performance parts at it. What is your current downpipe connected to? Stock (read restrictive) exhaust with the cat converter still in place? If so, a new downpipe will do very little if anything to improve your performance. The last thing I’ll say about 1 piece aftermarket downpipes if you do decide to get one is do your homework and ask around. Finding a proper fitting one may not be as easy as you would think.

Post a pic of your new ride. I have a Limited as well and always enjoy seeing how different they can look from each other.

karol

Canadian limited
Leaking as in, oil getting past the bearings into the comp/exh wheels or leaking past the oil return tube?

A new 58mm PTE etc is a great street turbo that'll make nice power without serious fuel needs and other needs.

Go slow, there's a learning curve to these things.
I noticed oil dips around the intercooler , so I started unbolting all
What are your foreseeable goals for your car? If not looking to go faster than high 11’s or so I would put the downpipe money towards other things. You mention your current downpipe measures 3”, if that is correct then it’s already an aftermarket piece (stock was 2.5”). Maybe it’s a Kirban replacement that uses the stock elbow? If money is not an issue and you just have the urge to put cool parts on your car, go ahead and get a new downpipe, nothing wrong with that either. Just make sure you got your car lined out and without issues before you start throwing performance parts at it. What is your current downpipe connected to? Stock (read restrictive) exhaust with the cat converter still in place? If so, a new downpipe will do very little if anything to improve your performance. The last thing I’ll say about 1 piece aftermarket downpipes if you do decide to get one is do your homework and ask around. Finding a proper fitting one may not be as easy as you would think.

Post a pic of your new ride. I have a Limited as well and always enjoy seeing how different they can look from each other.
Exhaust is a pypes kit , no cat . Down pipe is 3” on a stock elbow , I wasn’t sure if the stock elbow is restrictive at all since the casting isn’t excactly smooth .
i definitely don’t want to throw money around , but I don’t mind spending some $ for worthwhile items , if it makes a difference.
Ultimately a bottom 11 would be great , but If I had to settle for mis 11’a that ok too .
Everything else is working well on the car , the engine builder said that when he did the motor he prepped it for a bigger turbo if I decided to go there .
I know it’s all about getting things working efficiently together .
What I like about the limited is that it’s a bench seat column shift , I was always about having something a little different & cool

karol

Canadian limited

Trying to upload a picture from my phone , but it says image file too large for server .. I’ll try again in a bit

karol

Canadian limited
Trying to upload a picture from my phone , but it says image file too large for server .. I’ll try again in a bit

Attachments

• 4EA86CFD-67B4-487E-A702-4E149C642A2B.jpeg
    4EA86CFD-67B4-487E-A702-4E149C642A2B.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 2513A39B-C942-480F-BB30-355A43DC1A61.jpeg
    2513A39B-C942-480F-BB30-355A43DC1A61.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 50
  • 9CAC1956-D1BC-49FA-8AAC-BCF7F915FF6A.jpeg
    9CAC1956-D1BC-49FA-8AAC-BCF7F915FF6A.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 45

karol

Canadian limited
Any idea if the transmission has been upgraded?
It’s got a 2800 converter .. could be 3000 but I’ll have to make a call to make sure , a converter was replaced when the motor was out to get re freshed

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
It’s got a 2800 converter .. could be 3000 but I’ll have to make a call to make sure , a converter was replaced when the motor was out to get re freshed

Try to find out if the internals have been modified. There is a limit that the stock trans can handle without hardened or billet internals.

karol

Canadian limited
Try to find out if the internals have been modified. There is a limit that the stock trans can handle without hardened or billet internals.
Yes , as far as I know it’s a stock crank , arp bolts throughout. JE pistons , rods I’m not sure double roller chain , and a cam lifter kit ... 212 if I can recall

GNVYUS 1

Its leaking oil past the return tube I bet, not a serious issue to warrant turbo replacement unless you see it coming past the compressor bell flange area or down pipe flange.

These cars leak a lot, if you replace every leaky part you'll be a broke man soon. LOL

Nigel

I noticed oil dips around the intercooler , so I started unbolting all

Exhaust is a pypes kit , no cat . Down pipe is 3” on a stock elbow , I wasn’t sure if the stock elbow is restrictive at all since the casting isn’t excactly smooth .
i definitely don’t want to throw money around , but I don’t mind spending some $ for worthwhile items , if it makes a difference.
Ultimately a bottom 11 would be great , but If I had to settle for mis 11’a that ok too .
Everything else is working well on the car , the engine builder said that when he did the motor he prepped it for a bigger turbo if I decided to go there .
I know it’s all about getting things working efficiently together .
What I like about the limited is that it’s a bench seat column shift , I was always about having something a little different & cool
I cleaned up my stock elbow, opened the outlet up close to 3", welded a 3" to 2.5" reducer and then welded the stock downpipe to it. I have been 11.07@ 120mph on that. Don't know what a down pipe would buy me, but I have other places to drop $600 on before I will do a down pipe.

I think a TE44/TA49 is good for 53 to maybe 56 lb/min, the new 58mm wheels are good for around 62 lb/min, that is around 10% more flow potential. Big hoursepower guys don't think much of that, but I like the newer wheels over the older ones. I had a TE44 then replaced it a few years leter with a PT5858. If you want yours rebuilt, send it to Bison, keep the exhaust side and ask him to upgrade to a 58 or 59 wheel on the compressor.

Read up on fuel and spark management, add alky, take your time.

Last edited: