New to the turbo buick world

I have tried it spool up feels quicker but may not really be moving as fast, you need 28" tires to get through the traps with .373s and a 2004r in 3rd , with 26"/373s you fall short of the traps and hit the rev limit , they did 60' a little better in my application but thats about it and were nice from a 40mph roll,though my best times were with 27" and .342s
Thanks for the insight. :)

Not exactly off topic, what was the spool up time compared to the 3.42's.
when you go taller on the tire and change the gear ratio you going closer to the smaller tire 3.42 gear,you just have more sidewall and rollout.a 28/3.70/3.73 is like running a 26/342.

when you go taller on the tire and change the gear ratio you going closer to the smaller tire 3.42 gear,you just have more sidewall and rollout.a 28/3.70/3.73 is like running a 26/342.

I understand that part of it. Did you notice a difference is spoolup time.

here's some physics involved in this, so I'm curious.
when a car is geared up the spoolup is quicker. the motor will rpm faster and the gear in the rear more adds torque.i used to run 4.10s on my stock car for a long time on 28s,worked great!especially on a heavy car.i used to leave the line using the ebrake on the 3.42 and 15psi, with the 4.10s the same 60ft was achieved with a 1/2psi leave.as far as buzzing through the traps well it depends on fast your going and where the finish is 1/8 or 1/4.if your car is under 24mph on the backhalf i found there to be a gain in et even if you lose some mph.on the street if the traction is there the car comes alive much faster and the gear helps it leave.

when a car is geared up the spoolup is quicker. the motor will rpm faster and the gear in the rear more adds torque.i used to run 4.10s on my stock car for a long time on 28s,worked great!especially on a heavy car.i used to leave the line using the ebrake on the 3.42 and 15psi, with the 4.10s the same 60ft was achieved with a 1/2psi leave.as far as buzzing through the traps well it depends on fast your going and where the finish is 1/8 or 1/4.if your car is under 24mph on the backhalf i found there to be a gain in et even if you lose some mph.on the street if the traction is there the car comes alive much faster and the gear helps it leave.

Thanks. With this info if I had to do it all over again, I'd slapped 3.73's in it as I ran the 1/8th. Once again, thanks. :)

Evening all. Thanks again for the info. I have ordered a scanmaster g as well as a TT 5.7 chip along with 60 lbs injectors. The car doesn't have a factory fuel pressure regulator I will pull it off and replace with an adjustable one for tuning purposes.

Ignore my ignorance but what are throttle blades?

Evening all. Thanks again for the info. I have ordered a scanmaster g as well as a TT 5.7 chip along with 60 lbs injectors. The car doesn't have a factory fuel pressure regulator I will pull it off and replace with an adjustable one for tuning purposes.

That's a solid start.

The throttle blade/butterfly valve /throttle valve is the round disc inside of your throttle body that rotates from an almost closed state to a wide open state and anything in between depending on the position of the accelerator pedal. There is a set screw on the top drivers side of the throttle body. If it is unmolested,it will have a rubber cap on it painted silver. Mr.Spool is advising you to turn the screw head under that cap inward/clockwise to move the throttle valve to a more open position to lower your idle BLM number. Turn the set screw until the BLM moves down to 20.

After you do that,reset your TPS voltage.

Last edited:
A little steeper gear is fine lots of guys run 3.73 all the talk of not making it through the traps in 3rd?? Are there still guys running 1/4 mile lol

"The car doesn't have a factory fuel pressure regulator "
Before you pull it off, pull the hose off, and look in the hose nipple. There may be a Allen set screw in there, that's used to set the psi.

Evening I will set the throttle blades then reset tps and see what that does thanks again all the info although overwhelming it does help for sure. I have found that the fuel reg is installed upside down to allow the fitting to work. I have noticed it does have a nut with a screw attached to it next to the very kinked vaccum line. So I will flip it around and check out its condition to see if it needs to be replaced.

Evening I will set the throttle blades then reset tps and see what that does thanks again all the info although overwhelming it does help for sure. I have found that the fuel reg is installed upside down to allow the fitting to work. I have noticed it does have a nut with a screw attached to it next to the very kinked vaccum line. So I will flip it around and check out its condition to see if it needs to be replaced.
Upside down????

What does that mean? I absolutely need to see a picture of this!

Yes upside down so the vaccum line and the adjustment is on the bottom and the fuel is on the top. Basically very hard to get a wrench in there to adjust the fuel pressure. I don't have the car with me right now but will try and get a picture up soon.