New to forum, back in black.

2blacklines

Hello all. I just recently purchased an '87 Grand National, again. It's been over 20 years since my last. Now married with a couple of boys I/we are ready for a special car. Purchased from an older couple that have held the car since '97. A wonderful couple which i will have the pleasure to drive to their home so they can visit with their ol' girl as the changes unfold. Last time car was permitted on the road was 2007. Only moved for circulation.

The car will be going in for certification next week. As of now, service performed was new plugs, cleaned TB & MAF sensor, changed oil to Mobil1 synthetic. Still need to change fuel filter. Getting new tires put on the original rims. Original rims have seen better days but i'd rather them than the existing. I'm in no rush but if anyone knows of a steel wheel refinishers for the GN wheels i'd appreciate it.

Upgrades are, larger injectors (unknown size, O/O does not remember), front mount intercooler (unknown brand), FP regulator, upgraded fuel pump. tie down strap and boost gauge. Transmission shifts hard, I assume it was rebuilt in the past.

I look forward to meeting you all and exchanging thoughts and opinions on this beautiful passion we all share. Hope to be part of that awesome group at the Oshawa Autofest one day.

I'll start thanking you all now because i have A LOT of question. lol
IMG_9829.jpg
IMG_9829.jpg

welcome aboard ... nice story...and glad your here ..very helpful site...i can help you with your wheels..

welcome aboard ... nice story...and glad your here ..very helpful site...i can help you with your wheels..

Hey there. Glad to be here and part of a crew. Ya, when i opened the trunk i thought they just needed a polish. lol But, when i pulled them out it was a different story. A couple of them have some peeling chrome and rust. Black paint is rusted in the center of all, a couple dents on the rim edge.

I'm putting new rubber on them today because i think they're nicer than the ones i have now. I'd never sell them. Just have a nice set stored away as I will eventually get new wheels after the paint and body work is done, but that won't be for some time. I'm more focused on getting it running right, being able to stay on and feel confident it won't leave my stranded on the road.

Welcome to the forum. I see you have one of those really fast black ones. Lol
It’s nice you let the previous owners stay involved and take it by to see them.

If you’re looking for another option for a factory looking wheel, gbodyparts has some factory looking aluminum wheels as well as some 18” GNX style.

Welcome to the forum. I see you have one of those really fast black ones. Lol
It’s nice you let the previous owners stay involved and take it by to see them.

If you’re looking for another option for a factory looking wheel, gbodyparts has some factory looking aluminum wheels as well as some 18” GNX style.

Hey thanks. Ya, i've seen those larger GNX wheels. They look sharp. I have seen some really nice options on Instagram as well. Wife and I are debating "arguing" on the look. I like larger rims, less rubber. She likes the fatter more rubber look. I used to have a drag car, i'd like a street/mod style now. If that's what it's called. you know, coil overs, low, sleek.

Hey thanks. Ya, i've seen those larger GNX wheels. They look sharp. I have seen some really nice options on Instagram as well. Wife and I are debating "arguing" on the look. I like larger rims, less rubber. She likes the fatter more rubber look. I used to have a drag car, i'd like a street/mod style now. If that's what it's called. you know, coil overs, low, sleek.

I gotcha, I’m trying to get “that look” with UMI performance 1” lowering springs, so we’ll see.

Hey there. Glad to be here and part of a crew. Ya, when i opened the trunk i thought they just needed a polish. lol But, when i pulled them out it was a different story. A couple of them have some peeling chrome and rust. Black paint is rusted in the center of all, a couple dents on the rim edge.

I'm putting new rubber on them today because i think they're nicer than the ones i have now. I'd never sell them. Just have a nice set stored away as I will eventually get new wheels after the paint and body work is done, but that won't be for some time. I'm more focused on getting it running right, being able to stay on and feel confident it won't leave my stranded on the road.

Body looks very nice, what's wrong that it needs work? The wheels on it now don't look bad, actually lots better than some. Just don't put Cragar SS on, looks totally out of place, lol. I think your Mrs. is a sharp cookie about the tires, 26" rims with a 1/2" sidewall look puke. Jmho.
Welcome and don't let these old fogies intimidate you. :ROFLMAO:

Body looks very nice, what's wrong that it needs work? The wheels on it now don't look bad, actually lots better than some. Just don't put Cragar SS on, looks totally out of place, lol. I think your Mrs. is a sharp cookie about the tires, 26" rims with a 1/2" sidewall look puke. Jmho.
Welcome and don't let these old fogies intimidate you. :ROFLMAO:
lol, no no. No Cragar SS's. lmao. I saw this charcoal t-type on instagram with matching CCW Wheels Classic 2 rims. OMG it sat so beautifully. ten i saw the price, so that fell off the table. Gbodyparts.com has a nice set of 18" GNX wheels for a nice price. Either way, i'm far from wheels at this point. I'm prepping the car as much as i can for safety certification on Monday. I put new tires on the original rims. Today i need to change the cracked bumper turn signal lenses. While the car was up i crawled underneath and found i need a LH front quarter floor pan. Underneath is quite rusty. I knew this going in but compared to what i found and asking price in relation to my budget, this was the best of the bunch. And, it actually isn't all that bad. I know i need a couple of doors and a trunk lid.

First thing I need is the safety, next i need the engine to run right. It doesn't stay on, on first ignition. I have to give it al little rpm's for about 30 seconds. i managed to keep it on for four heat cycles which was ok but, she dies when put in gear so i double foot it. I'm not confident in it yet to take us on a cruise. After the engine diagnostics and tune, my job this year is to source out parts for the restoration and enjoy driving it while doing that.

Every car in the listing was black n shiny. Until I went to see it. Then i get told to just drive and enjoy it. So, i said if one doesn't spend money on preservation, one will not have a car to enjoy.

Welcome to the board !! After it gets certified , lets get it running right .... first . Worry about looks after cause nobody will see it sitting in you garage . Do the spring cleaning http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html , get a Scanmaster & fuel pressure gauge if it doesn't have one , what chip is in the ECM ?? It may not hurt to replace the fuel pump if it's 13yrs old . How old is the gas ?? May need to drain the tank . Lots of things to check off first before it will be reliable . If you have any questions , come hear for answers cause you don't know who your talking to on FB . Also put all your known mods in your signature to help us help you . Good Luck with your new ride . Sam

Spring cleaning doesn't mention checking ALL vacuum hoses for cracks or dry rot and don't worry about changing trans & rear diff fluid right now .

Spring cleaning doesn't mention checking ALL vacuum hoses for cracks or dry rot and don't worry about changing trans & rear diff fluid right now .
Hey Sam, thanks for the info. In response to your questions.
Scan master is top of list of tools to get.
-think i might just go with the Scanmaster G
I have a fp gauge.
ECM chip info is unknown. Not sure if it's stock or been programmed.
Age of gas is unknown but there was about 1/4 tank left so I put some fresh premium and now it's over 3/4 full.
I'm attaching some photos, hopefully there is some info there that could help out. And i wanted to show my "new" old wheels with new skins.
IMG_9858.jpg
IMG_9859.jpg
IMG_9863.jpg
IMG_9864.jpg
IMG_9866.jpg

I like the silicone hoses for most , but some places need thinner wall hose , like on top of the plenum with 4 lines close together . Zip tie every hose connection no matter how tight it pushed on .
If the chip is stock , you'll want to get one from Eric @ Turbo Tweak . The stock 87 chips are not go for today's gas

I like the silicone hoses for most , but some places need thinner wall hose , like on top of the plenum with 4 lines close together . Zip tie every hose connection no matter how tight it pushed on .
If the chip is stock , you'll want to get one from Eric @ Turbo Tweak . The stock 87 chips are not go for today's gas
Awesome, thanks Sam. I'll work on getting that part straightened out.
I appreciate it.