New to board......Hello! (I also need help)

Mike1987GN

Hello to all of you.

My name is Mike, and I own a 1987 GN (purchased in 1991 with 14,000 miles on it) that currently has 79,000 miles on it. I only use it during the summer months (garaged Nov. thru Apr.), and only drive it occasionally around the south suburbs of Chicago (I live in Orland Park, Illinois).

I've run into a bit of bad luck recently with the car, as several mechanical issues have come up with the car. Most of them are common issues that I have had resolved through local repair shops (new muffler, new catalytic converter, plugs and wires, oxygen sensor, etc.), and I myself have done the lubrication (oil change, joint greasing) on a regular basis, but I still have an acceleration problem (a hesitation/sluggishness at about 35 MPH). Some of the above mentioned mechanics have an idea about what the problem might be - fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector - but they also say that they are not experts on the GN, and can't guarantee that replacements will solve the problem. Also, the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on briefly about 5 minutes after the engine has started, but then goes off after a minute or so, and remains off. Diagnostic tests have come up with a computer error code 45 (fuel related?) - can this be a related symptom?

I'd like to get in contact with someone who has a more intimate knowledge of the car, and can get the car running back to proper street performance. I'm not looking to modify the car's factory performance specs, nor am interested in "hot-rodding" it. Please let me know if and where I can get help, and how I can reach these people. Thank you in advance.

Mike F.

Welcome to the forum Mike, the code 45 is O2 sensor Rich was this code before the sensor change or after?

Thanks for response, Dave....

The 45 code is currently coming up, after all things were checked/changed. And yes, the car is running slightly rich and the engine races a bit upon starting (but after about 10 minutes or so, idles back down to a normal speed.

Mike F.

I hate to tell you to throw parts at it... I would change the O2 sensor again. New doesn't mean good. Way back when my car was stock I had that sort of stumble and it turned out to be the MAF. But again throwing parts at it. lol
Change the O2 again and if need be find another TR owner local and try their MAF before you go buy one.

x2 on the O2 sensor. Make sure you get a Denso or AC Delco. Not a Bosch. There have been lots of threads on here about the Bosch's causing troubles even though they were new.
After that the MAF is the suspect. This is not something you can get a parts store. Well you can, but it's NOT the right one even though it shows them correct in their books.

A supporting vendor of this website will have the correct ones. Kirbans, Highway Stars or Full Throttle just to name a few will have what you need and it be correct and not be suspect of being defective out of the box.

Even though you are not looking to Hot Rod it you really should consider a new computer chip. You'd have to see what you have it there currently but todays chips are meant for today's gas and run the right amount of timing for it. It will run much better if you put a new chip in. Turbo Tweak, another supporting vendor, can take care of that for you. He really knows his stuff regarding these cars and chips! But look in your ECM and see what is in there now. Chances are pretty good its stock with nothing else being done to the car.

Here's some reading for you too. We recommend you start at the top with the "spring cleaning" article.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/maintpage.html

Oh, and welcome aboard! Post a pic of your ride too!

Though the o2 sensor could be the cause of the code 45, I doubt it's the reason for the stumble.
I could take a look at it and get you in the right direction. I'm in Mokena.

Thanks for the help, guys, and thanks for the invite, Rick. I'd like to take you up on it. Let me know how to reach you, and when, and I'd be happy to stop by and get your feedback.

Right now, I've spent about a grand on the car trying to resolve things, and there has been some progress. I've replaced the exhaust system (muffler/cat converter/pipes), new plugs and wires, coil pack, and MAF sensor, and have already committed to having the fuel injectors replaced next Wednesday (free labor for this, as the mechanic working on this admits he's running out of options). The car still runs a bit rich (the cat is already showing a dark spot) and the engine races a bit upon first starting (but does eventually idle down by itself after about 30 seconds). And I get the "SES" light briefly (but again, then disappears for the length of the travel).

Spending money to make things right doesn't bother me. I would just like to know we are making progress.

Stop throwing parts at it until I diagnose. Don't want to see you throw money away.