New rims/tires for the track

qws2000

black rims 001.JPG black rims 002.JPG black rims 003.JPG Ok I did get Race stars Black rims and they are 15x10 5x4.75 bolt pattern b/s 7.25.... I only got 2 rims as they are going on the cars that go to the track. My questions are is that too much backspace, and Is there a big difference between 15x10 and 15x8. I am putting on 275/60/ D/R on the rims..

I dont think those will work even with a frame notch...Try bolting them on and see.

Bryan

should have done your homework first ,maybe for a vette
but on a turbo regal even with a frame notch youll need over 2.5" of spacer

I would have not purchased it with the 7.25 b/s.... But funny thing rim does fit... I have 17x10 on the back now with 295/50/17s and no frame work or rolling... I was more worried they wouldn't be able to handle the abuse at the track... Good news they can go back, and since my wife bought them as a gift, she tried her best... I love the style of the rim, so I am getting 15x10 5x4.75 lug and 5 B/S

You'll likely need shim(s) to get the 275/60/15's off the frame rails with the 5" backspace.

You'll likely need shim(s) to get the 275/60/15's off the frame rails with the 5" backspace.
Hope I don't sound stupid but when you state shim does this mean adding space between the wheel/hub and frame rails? Is this something like a washer of sort but for wheels?

Hope I don't sound stupid but when you state shim does this mean adding space between the wheel/hub and frame rails? Is this something like a washer of sort but for wheels?
probably means thin spacer, i have seen 1/4 inch spacers crack i'd imagine that a 1/8 would also crack maybe easier and faster.

if you need more spacer than is safe for your lug studs either get longer studs or you can run adapters
if you need spacers , first rule is dont stack them , if it needs more than one measure the total and find that size in a single spacer. i've run 1" spacers (actually adapters with the bolts knocked out using tall lug studs in the axles) with low 1.4 launches off the brake . NHRA allows them but only one, stacking is against the rules
the pepboy spacers are junk cast .. not solid or lug / hub centeric , ebay has solid spacers that are drilled for your bolt pattern or hub centric ,when it comes to adapters you want dual hub centric and on aftermarket that have a larger hub it may require a ring to center the wheel

GM used thin spacers on the late 80's camaros

Last edited:
PLEASE Someone Give Me Info..... I have 17x10 on Rear tires 295/45/17... I have these new race star 15x10 and putting Hoosier D/R 275/60/15.... Is there a big difference in the two Tires at the track.... I mean this is going to run about 1500 extra for the entire package???? Please what will I gain???

Not sure I'm getting your question correct but here's a shot.

Making around 400 rwhp, Steel bullit style 17x9" 275/40/17 555r's vs stock aluminum 16x7.5" 255/50/16 555r's was good for .3 in the 8th. The weight difference was 65lbs total iirc on all 4 rims.

PLEASE Someone Give Me Info..... I have 17x10 on Rear tires 295/45/17... I have these new race star 15x10 and putting Hoosier D/R 275/60/15.... Is there a big difference in the two Tires at the track.... I mean this is going to run about 1500 extra for the entire package???? Please what will I gain???
That is going to depend on how much power your car makes. What are your current 60' times ? Does your car spin at the line now ? You will be able to hit the tires harder with the 275/60/15 due to the sidewall being taller.
If your car doesn't have the power to spin the current tires then you will gain nothing.

Bryan

Take a look at Bryan's picture. See how the rear tires are flattened out and the sidewall narrowed? Can't do that as well with a 50, 45, 40 or 35 series sidewall. Some can hook with thinner sidewalls but I haven't seen many. That squish is what makes the tires grab for a good 60'. For the track, you could just find 2 inexpensive aluminum 15x8 rims and mount the 275/60/15 dr's on them. No need to drop $1500 on a set of rear track tires/rims for a few days at the track.

Take a look at Bryan's picture. See how the rear tires are flattened out and the sidewall narrowed? Can't do that as well with a 50, 45, 40 or 35 series sidewall. Some can hook with thinner sidewalls but I haven't seen many. That squish is what makes the tires grab for a good 60'. For the track, you could just find 2 inexpensive aluminum 15x8 rims and mount the 275/60/15 dr's on them. No need to drop $1500 on a set of rear track tires/rims for a few days at the track.

What he said. I just picked up 2 weld drag lights for 200 dollars on craigslist yesterday.

Paul, Thanks I was going that way more likely ... Thanks for the info guys, just so many people tell me I need to be at a 275/60/15.... I have 295/45/17 and get no traction, really very little, but I just didn't think there was that big of a difference....