New Rims and Tires

Major Nutz

I would do the 15x7's with 225/70 or 235/60 & 15x8's with 275/60's. That's the combo I've been concidering for my car.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
Would that tire size rub in the back? And would I need any spacers?
These wheels were designed for our cars using the 275/60’s. If you have the stock brake setup they should fit with no rubbing and no spacers. I can see where rubbing would occur if a car was in an accident and not put back together right.

Jonc82

These wheels were designed for our cars using the 275/60’s. If you have the stock brake setup they should fit with no rubbing and no spacers. I can see where rubbing would occur if a car was in an accident and not put back together right.
Yeah, car is pretty much still stock with the stock drum breaks in the rear. One questions though, if I were to convert to disk brakes in the rear would that be a problem?

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
Yeah, car is pretty much still stock with the stock drum breaks in the rear. One questions though, if I were to convert to disk brakes in the rear would that be a problem?
It seems most rear disc brake conversions use rotors that are around 1/8” thicker than the steel drums and shouldn’t be a problem.
Worse case you may have to roll the fenders a bit.

The threads I’ve read about these wheels don’t say what brakes they run. I wish they did.

SLIC V6

I've run 235/60-15's in the front on stock rims with no rubbing at all. (15x7) - Stock Front Discs.
I upgraded to the GBodyParts Aluminum Reproduction rims recently.
This is a picture of mine installed:
small pass side washed 2.jpg
15x7 with BFG Radial 215/65R15 in front on stock discs and stock springs.
15x10 with MT SS DR 275/60-15 on the rear with the stock drums with stock replacement springs.
The rears are tight, but do not rub on the limited mileage that I put on them thus far.
I have upgraded upper and lower control arms on the rear as well as an HR Parts anti roll bar that keeps the side play of the axle limited.
Here is a picture of the space between the stock frame rail and the inside of the 275/60 tire:
20200228_174636.jpg
I am getting the rear fender lips rolled, just incase the rear comes down hard on a strip launch. (FYI)
I hope that this helps you out!
I purchased the rim package from Brian at GBodyParts, had them at my house in 3 days, excellent service!!!

ENJOY!

Jonc82

I've run 235/60-15's in the front on stock rims with no rubbing at all. (15x7) - Stock Front Discs.
I upgraded to the GBodyParts Aluminum Reproduction rims recently.
This is a picture of mine installed:
View attachment 356613
15x7 with BFG Radial 215/65R15 in front on stock discs and stock springs.
15x10 with MT SS DR 275/60-15 on the rear with the stock drums with stock replacement springs.
The rears are tight, but do not rub on the limited mileage that I put on them thus far.
I have upgraded upper and lower control arms on the rear as well as an HR Parts anti roll bar that keeps the side play of the axle limited.
Here is a picture of the space between the stock frame rail and the inside of the 275/60 tire:
View attachment 356614
I am getting the rear fender lips rolled, just incase the rear comes down hard on a strip launch. (FYI)
I hope that this helps you out!
I purchased the rim package from Brian at GBodyParts, had them at my house in 3 days, excellent service!!!

ENJOY!
Thank you very much for the pictures. That Mickey Thompson tire looks great but would it be any good for everyday driving? Btw, I don't track the car.

SLIC V6

Thank you very much for the pictures. That Mickey Thompson tire looks great but would it be any good for everyday driving? Btw, I don't track the car.
Glad that I could help.
If you aren't looking for 'hook' on the street, then there are plenty of other tires that will be better 'everyday drivers'.
The MT SS will wear out much quicker and won't be as good as a 'normal' street tire in the rain.
I'm running mine for street and track, but the car is not a daily driver.

Enjoy!

conn84gn

I had the Nitto 555R 275/50R15 on a 10" rim and a good tire 26" tall
Better than street tire hooked well
They where even OK the rain drive soft and they got you home