New repro headlight bezel's or repair and respray originals?

GoldHawg

My original headlight bezels are no longer black, and one of them has a crack that will need repaired. I was planning on just epoxying the crack, painting and putting back on, but I've seen new repros are available pretty reasonably ($100-150) so was thinking of going that route. What's the consensus of the quality of the repro bezels? Is there any difference in the Goodmark one available from summit for $99 vs the Part's Place one on ebay for $149? Love your feedback. I'm doing a pretty high-quality restoration so want it to look nice.

What side do you need, I think I have a passenger side, How does $50 shipped sound, let me know, is so I can send pictures after work tomorrow

I painted mine in 2003 even used the plastic primer paint first.
Lasted about 4 years on a daily driver, didn't peel or crack, just became sandblasted grayish white in a lot of places.
Daily driver so that includes lots of road debris, sand, salt, ice and snow removal of headlights with gloves etc. etc.
For a good restoration I would seek out NOS or gently used originals, or wait for feedback on the new replacements.
On a car not driven much try the repair and paint, doesn't cost much, and it should hold up well in a garage. :cool:

I painted mine in 2003 even used the plastic primer paint first.
Lasted about 4 years on a daily driver, didn't peel or crack, just became sandblasted grayish white in a lot of places.
Daily driver so that includes lots of road debris, sand, salt, ice and snow removal of headlights with gloves etc. etc.
For a good restoration I would seek out NOS or gently used originals, or wait for feedback on the new replacements.
On a car not driven much try the repair and paint, doesn't cost much, and it should hold up well in a garage. :cool:
Thanks. I do plan on using mine unless I can get good feedback on the repros. According to the ebay ad, lots have been sold--hopefully a fellow forum member will chime in on their thoughts.

Just get new ones. Quit screwing around with 35 year old plastic. I replaced headlight bezels, grill, bumper and bumper strip. Nobody in 5 years ever noticed the difference at Turbo Buick car shows.

Just get new ones. Quit screwing around with 35 year old plastic. I replaced headlight bezels, grill, bumper and bumper strip. Nobody in 5 years ever noticed the difference at Turbo Buick car shows.
Any specific feedback per my original post? Is there a difference between the different ones out there? Which one did you use? Thanks!

I could write a few chapters about headlight bezels...

a few things to remember -

GM made three different versions of headlight bezels before they were discontinued.

first GM production run that came as factory installed and available into the early 1990's were molded in GRAY ABS and then painted black or chromed. these bezels did not have the tab extensions on the inside at the corners. over time, these sagged in the middle between high and low beams.

below is a pic of the first GM version.
P1030498 copy.jpg

second production run from mid/late 1990s to about 2002 were molded in BLACK ABS. otherwise same as the first version.

below is a pic of the second GM version - molded in black
P1030495 copy.jpg

for the third GM version, production was moved to Canada. The Canadian produced bezels were molded in GRAY ABS and painted BLACK or Chromed as needed. Notice the Canada version has the tab extensions on the inside corners in an effort to stop the sag the previous versions suffered over time.

below is a pic of the third GM version - molded in gray with the tab extensions and painted black
P1030499 copy.jpg

P1030500 copy.jpg

It's important to remember for GM originals, at the corner of the marker lights, the bezel molding marks are ANGLED.
P1030496 copy.jpg

For the aftermarket headlight bezels...

there are two versions available - creations by two different companies.

Goodmark had a version made that is most like the first version by GM

Gilbert's g-body had one version made using a visually different extension tab on the inside as well as a different molding mark at the marker light to avoid copyright infringement.

because of post attachments limited to 10, there will be separate posts for each of these aftermarket versions containing the pics taken from internet listings.

below are the pics for the Goodmark version

Attachments

• headlight bezel reproduction (PartsPlace) description.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction (PartsPlace) description.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 66
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_1.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 59
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_4.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_4.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 57
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_3.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 60
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_2.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 64
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_5.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 62
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_6.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_6.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 66
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_7.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 63
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_9.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_9.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 57
  • headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_8.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by PartsPlace_8.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 64
below are the pics of Gilbert's version...this version has the molding mark at the marker light straight up vs the GM version which as angled.

Attachments

• headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_6.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_6.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 81
  • headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_5.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_5.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 80
  • headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_4.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 70
  • headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_3.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 58
  • headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_2.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 61
  • headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_1.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction by gbody_1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 66
  • headlight bezel reproduction (gbody) description.jpg
    headlight bezel reproduction (gbody) description.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 68
@GoldHawg, for a true high dollar restoration, I would focus on NOS GM (any of the three versions) or the GoodMark version. The discerning eye will pick up upon the molding mark by the marker light if the car would be subjected to the likes of Bloomington Gold certification for Buicks.

PartsPlace was selling the GoodMark version. not sure what the are doing today as the ebay link you posted in #1 uses an unknown, maybe internal part # for parts place. you'd have to contact them to confirm what they are selling.

Goodmark bezels via Summit is a great deal as NOS headlight bezels would be 3X that price or more. something to consider.

Here's a comparison of a re-pop aftermarket hood emblem vs. a 35 year old used, bought from GBody years ago, emblem.
You tell me which one is the original, 5 years or so on the car. o_O
If I had good shiny paint I would be diggin' the "blackout" emblem.
Not all remade parts are an improvement over GM.
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG

I bought a set a couple yrs ago made in Taiwan they look ok but feel like they were made with a 3D printer. I think I paid like $80 for the set. They came wrapped in a foam bag inside a plastic bag when you opened the box. I have a set of the repos made about 10yrs ago they were a much better quality and a little more money. Pictured are the new set with the green sticker.
1AE32325-CB8C-457C-B35F-8362E26D04A8.jpeg
E7671EF2-5685-432C-9A12-32B895439730.jpeg

I have a pair of brand new nos gm bezels but don’t know what to ask for them. Been a while since I’ve had a set. They were in the trunk of a car I just got that I’m probably going to part. They have the Canada sticker on them