New pump pressure.

Roy L.

I purchased a new pump from Alkycontrol along with the GN tester. New pump only shows 140 PSI. The instructions for the tester says new pump should be 170-180psi. old pumps will read 150-160PSI. why would a brand-new pump read 140psi? I emailed Alkycontrol (Julio) and got an auto reply back that they are out of the office this week.
What would you guys suggest that I try? I followed the instructions to a tee for the tester. Reason for new pump is the old pump would only wine and did not stumble the engine when pushing the test button. It was 2 years old. Old pump can no longer be rebuilt because Alky doesn't do them anymore and the pumps head design has changed. I had to add the new switch after the filter that the new style pump requires.

Thanks, Maybe Julio will see this post or possibly respond to my email. Time is ticking for the nationals.

Subscribed. I just changed over to the new one as well. But I have not tested or primed the system. There is a set screw on the new switch. I believe you can raise pressure there but don't quote me to that. I hope to test drive my car this weekend and tinker around with it.

I purchased a new pump from Alkycontrol along with the GN tester. New pump only shows 140 PSI. The instructions for the tester says new pump should be 170-180psi. old pumps will read 150-160PSI. why would a brand-new pump read 140psi? I emailed Alkycontrol (Julio) and got an auto reply back that they are out of the office this week.
What would you guys suggest that I try? I followed the instructions to a tee for the tester. Reason for new pump is the old pump would only wine and did not stumble the engine when pushing the test button. It was 2 years old. Old pump can no longer be rebuilt because Alky doesn't do them anymore and the pumps head design has changed. I had to add the new switch after the filter that the new style pump requires.

Thanks, Maybe Julio will see this post or possibly respond to my email. Time is ticking for the nationals.

The old ones can't be rebuilt, and I have two, so I have a spare when one is being rebuilt. So now I have to buy two more new ones.

Are the new ones supposed to last longer than 2 years?

I can't figure out why they can make e85 pumps that run for decades but our pumps only last two years.

The old ones can't be rebuilt, and I have two, so I have a spare when one is being rebuilt. So now I have to buy two more new ones.

I can't figure out why they can make e85 pumps that run for decades but our pumps only last two years.
The "sure flow" pumps are use a lot the RV world..i have seen them last for several years without fail. I do not have any flow degradation numbers but empty the tanks,do their job, in a uniformed fashion every time. Alcohol will surely change the equation but imo if you flush it each winter before storing, it will pump full pressure ,for at least 4 years. I base all this on my personal experience only.

I don't think you can compare water to methanol for pump life, and some of us live in warm climates where we never store our cars for extended periods, except when they break, lol.

The new ones have an 18-month warranty. I'm in the same boat I now have 2 of the old ones that are basically junk.

I have same situation 2 cars and 3 old style pumps so wondering myself. Also I’m installing a new sure flow on a friends car tomorrow. Wondering what pressure we should expect to get.

Why can't the old ones be rebuilt?

I used to send one of my two back to Julio for a rebuild every 18 months. He can't do them any more?

I used to send one of my two back to Julio for a rebuild every 18 months. He can't do them any more?
No I think Julio said they are not supporting them and no warranty. New pumps can be rebuilt at home you just get the parts from Julio and DIY so no shipping and prolly don’t need extra pumps…

Correct he said cost was to high. Said the total cost with shipping would be close to the cost of a new pump. The new pump design u can buy replacement heads and do it yourself. Cost is $80 and u don't have to send in and wait for it to come back. Also u don't need 2 pumps if u were like me and rotated them. You can now just keep a new head on hand. I like the over all idea.

So, does any have any idea why my new pump only shows 140 PSI? We kind of got off track and started discussing the new design.

A SWAG....
Gauge is kaput.
Pump is defective.
Relief is stuck.
Block or choke off the line to the nozzle and see what you get.

A tip from a real pro! {Not me} 😁
Start the engine before you check the psi.
Thanks, Chuck
However, the instructions that came with the tester says to only put the Key to the on position and the Alky Daul to 8.
Are you thinking that I don't have enough volts with engine off to get the proper reading?

Does it cost something to try it?
My source runs 8's with alky, so I take his suggestions seriously.

Does it cost something to try it?
My source runs 8's with alky, so I take his suggestions seriously.
Oh yes you are absolutely right. I hope to give this a try here this evening or tomorrow. when I get out to the garage. I appreciate the idea.

Oh yes you are absolutely right. I hope to give this a try here this evening or tomorrow. when I get out to the garage. I appreciate the idea.
When you do that, check volts at the pump with and without the engine running.

A SWAG....
Gauge is kaput.
Pump is defective.
Relief is stuck.
Block or choke off the line to the nozzle and see what you get.
So the new install is getting 130 psi using Julio’s kit in prescribed manner. Gauge is verified to be close enough for government work…volts around 12.2-12.5. I can give above suggestion a try over the weekend. Old style were higher under same conditions.
Side note- can’t get the LED to switch to green either. New pressure switch that comes with new pump is set for 50 psi. Checked ground is good, but not digging into that yet.
Will wait for Julio to get back.
Thanks guys!