New Owner 87 GN 1 owner 14K miles

They last to low 12s then the usual is a 2-3 flair at 12 flat. You've got time. It's going to take some seat time and tuning before your at that point. Go for a 2800 stall lu converter when it's time to beef up the trans. Don't forget a trans cooler too. Holding boost at the line creates heat. You'll also need some MT drag radials. I'd go with 235s or 255s until you're trapping in the 112 range.

so all my upgrades previously mentioned are in and the car is ok but not quite what I expected, I've set the AWGA to 16psi for now but I'm getting some KR. The part that I'm a little surprised by is the car just won't turn the tires over and is kind dead from a dig, once it spools up it pulls pretty strong but I honestly don't think it's any faster than my wife's Audi Q5, that may be hyperbolic but it def doesn't feel like a 12 sec capable car at this point- I've been told it probably needs a looser converter i.e. 2800-3000.
thanks!

Turn the boost down til you have no knock. Unless you know it to be false knock always tune for zero. (Read the first 2 sentences again) It's probably a mid 13sec car at this point on pump gas and 16#s. There are adjustments to be made in the chip to lean it out a bit for a better launch and spool BUT proceed with extreme caution. Mistakes are easy and costly to make.

so all my upgrades previously mentioned are in and the car is ok but not quite what I expected, I've set the AWGA to 16psi for now but I'm getting some KR. The part that I'm a little surprised by is the car just won't turn the tires over and is kind dead from a dig, once it spools up it pulls pretty strong but I honestly don't think it's any faster than my wife's Audi Q5, that may be hyperbolic but it def doesn't feel like a 12 sec capable car at this point- I've been told it probably needs a looser converter i.e. 2800-3000.
thanks!

Do you have the LT1 or LS1 MAF with Translator upgrade? If not, you’ll need that with your mods.

Did bison recommend a converter to go with your turbo?

Also, what Fuel Pressure Regulator are you running and what is your fuel pressure set on?

And like berserker6 said turn it down until you get a handle on the KR.

My car has very similar mods and my trans (which was awesome until then) had since started flaring. So, I have a new trans sitting on the floor now ready to go in. There are quite a few names out there that can build your trans to handle that horsepower (and much more). So, you might check with Bison, Husek and there are others out there as well depending upon your location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as stated above, turn down the boost until you get the knock retard straightend out. KR will kill that motor faster than a hot knife thru butter. also, make sure you have no vacuum leaks, those 30 year old lines get awfully brittle. baby steps sometimes work better than throwing 10 mods on at a time. makes troubleshooting a little easier.

ya- I should have mentioned I've dialed the boost back and will be installing my MBC so I can fine tune the boost levels better. I need to clear a code we caused when checking for a misfire issue as well then test driving the car for further analysis. Thanks!

Do you have the LT1 or LS1 MAF with Translator upgrade? If not, you’ll need that with your mods.

Did bison recommend a converter to go with your turbo?

Also, what Fuel Pressure Regulator are you running and what is your fuel pressure set on?

And like berserker6 said turn it down until you get a handle on the KR.

My car has very similar mods and my trans (which was awesome until then) had since started flaring. So, I have a new trans sitting on the floor now ready to go in. There are quite a few names out there that can build your trans to handle that horsepower (and much more). So, you might check with Bison, Husek and there are others out there as well depending upon your location.

I have a Kirban AFPR set to 43 PSI now _ I've not considered the MAF to this point but I will ask Bison about it- to this point the 2 items next for consideration is the TC and a 3" DP from RJC but I do want to do some more tweaking first.

I have a Kirban AFPR set to 43 PSI now _ I've not considered the MAF to this point but I will ask Bison about it- to this point the 2 items next for consideration is the TC and a 3" DP from RJC but I do want to do some more tweaking first.

Bison is the man! Can’t speak for others, but, I know that my car ran like “Total Dawg Crap” after I upgraded my fuel system (255 pump, hot wire kit, new Oem style baffled tank, adj fpr, flow matched PTE 65’s and new TT chip made for upgrades). And once I installed the MAF / Translator, it was a new car again. So, check with Bison and see what he says. You can’t wrong following his advice.

Without re-reading the entire thread I'll just ask, do you have the RJC power plate? If not I say its a must. Others may say otherwise but I think at your level of mods its a no brainer, inexpensive and simple to install

Without re-reading the entire thread I'll just ask, do you have the RJC power plate? If not I say its a must. Others may say otherwise but I think at your level of mods its a no brainer, inexpensive and simple to install

I do not have the Power Plate currently, but I'll check it out, thanks!

I've gotten my boost and fuel pressures adjusted properly without any KR at roughly 15/16 psi on the gauge, but now when I launch the car it's flaring on the 1-2 shift. This is a very low mileage car that was kept completely stock by the original owner whose spouse sold it after he passed away. I guess the car could need the trans rebuilt but with only 14k miles I guess I'd be surprised. It's also very likely the trans fluid is stock so would fluid and filter service be worth a try to start with?

Where are you located? Maybe a Turbo Buick trans builder is near by and could look at it.

Follow the post on the TV cable adjust just to make sure it is not just an improperly adjusted cable, will cause delayed shifts or worse. again, easy on it until you get it straightened out

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/tvcable.htm

maybe take a pict. to see where it was before you started in case you need to go back to it.

Car is back from Steve V and it's miles better overall - Had mild trans work (did what he calls 11.50 Build) with an XHD 12" Stock TC with ≈ 2700 stall speed. He also installed 3"DP w/Test Pipe, LT1 MAF w/Translator & a trans cooler. Car runs noticeably stronger with all else being the same, the transmission shifts firm but not harsh and is very streetable on the TC he used, I'm completely happy with the work Steve V did. I do however now feel some boost surge at WOT, not sure exactly the cause but I've read that's not uncommon with the TA49, I've asked for some advice from Steve and Bison but was curious about any additional thoughts about solutions short of replacing the 40 with a 60.
thanks,