New oil catch can thread

That's because they know the average car owner wouldn't empty the can. I'm happy to empty my catch can so I can see what crap it catches.

I took a different route, since this thing is so big, with limited space in the engine bay, I fabricated a custom bracket out of 316 Stainless Steel, used the turbo shield bolts as an attachment point, all in all, thing works great, and no longer am I getting oil sucked up into my intake from the PCV

I have 2. One forthe PCV mounted near the AC drier and the other for the valve covers mounted on the front of the turbo shield. No problems. This isn't a good photo but i"ll post some better when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 43
I was reading where the newer Camaros have a catch can that drains back into the oil pan so you never have to drain it. Apparently GM engineers figured whatever is caught in the can, can be reused.

What ends up in the can came from the crankcase, so as long as it hasn't been contaminated by dirt or fuel, draining it back into the pan isn't going to be a problem.

Most German engines use a venturi in the PCV circuit to separate the oil from the air and drain the oil back into the pan. It works great, but in BMW's case, they made it out of two pieces of plastic held together with some shrink tubing, and then mounted it behind the timing chain. It's a $12 part that costs $3000 to replace.

One thing you do have to be aware of is water content. Modern cars run at higher temperatures than ours. A BMW will run with the water around 220, which puts the oil in the 220-250 range. Any water in the lubricant quickly boils out.

But we're putting around town with 160 degree thermostats. Unless we're banging on it, our oil rarely reaches 200. So if you drain condensation from the catch can into the pan, it won't boil out.

Alky and E85 also produce more water in the combustion process which contaminates oil too.