New member from NC

Heckishfire

Morning everyone! I was burning through the fast and the furious movies and wondered, "what is that black car that looks so smooth and mean?" So I googled it and .. it's a BUICK!? Haha, yea I was surprised, but then I started reading more on it and became very impressed. I was hooked. So, while I don't have a GN of my own ... yet... I plan on getting one next year sometime. Interestingly enough Richard Clark is about 30min down the road, if you don't know who he is check out his webpage here.

I'm from Durham NC area, 38yrs old. I have no idea what to look for in a GN (I'd like to get a '87) i.e., what's a good price for one that runs, but could use a little TLC (nothing major, I'm a total noob but would like to learn how to fix things myself). Thanks everyone! Glad to be here!

Welcome. Unfortunately, in 2019 these cars are being advertised and/or sold in the $20-35k range. Once in a while a fair car with over 100k miles will turn up for $16-20k. There's still Regal T's popping up in the $12-17k range. Don't be afraid of a T if that's your budget. They are just as awesome.

Yea it seems you're right. I was looking around online and on barnfinds.com among other places (ebay, etc) and seems the only way to get a cheap one is if they're a rust bucket, otherwise they're 18-25kish bummer. I think I could swing 20k, but I wanted to tinker a bit and learn as I go too.

I live in Mebane, NC, 12 miles from RC's shop. Let me know if you plan on going to RC's and I will try to meet you there.

I'm not far away either but am no expert. You should def take Jim up on his offer to meet at RC's it is a very cool place. Lot's of good turbo buick folks in NC. Do lots of reading on this site and gnttype.org for great reference information. Here is one for starters:
http://gnttype.org/general/buyguide.html

Don't forget to consider a T Type or Turbo Regal. All of the fun and surprising power, none of the expectation. The look on a Moostang guys face when he just got his ass handed to him is priceless.

They come in a million configurations and are just plain cool cars.

Yes, GN's get all the respect, but mine's plenty purty and way faster than most would think.

Besides, I'm a Rodney Dangerfield kind of guy........:cool:

Image result for i don't get no respect

Have fun with the purchase, no matter what direction you go!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thanks for the great replies! I hadn't thought of a T regal either, food for thought for sure. Jim, thank you so much for your offer, I definitley want to take you up on that. I probably won't have the funds until later this year or early next but I'd like to do a little homework first and see what costs would be and get an idea of what to look for. What days times work for you?

I was at RC's yesterday for a few hours but I can't really give you a date/time I can be there in the future. I have days of chronic fatigue (like today), so I can only plan for something and hope I feel well enough to accomplish it.2019-04-20 15.45.49.jpg2019-04-21 03.05.39.jpg

No worries at all, I totally understand that. All of this is contingent on my rental house selling (soon I hope) so I can A) build a garage at my house, and then B) do the research for a GN -- so there's no rush! I would love to meet Richard or at least take a walk around his place. We'll make it happen :) Also if you need a ride (I'm a fellow vet, Air Force) I'm happy to accommodate you! Great pictures, that's one sleek mean looking GN

Wish you well on selling the rental and being able to build a garage and thanks for the offer of help, also.

I bought my GN in 1989 with 6,000 miles so I have had a lot of time to get it looking the way I want.

Hope to meet you sometime soon.

Thanks for the great replies! I hadn't thought of a T regal either, food for thought for sure. Jim, thank you so much for your offer, I definitley want to take you up on that. I probably won't have the funds until later this year or early next but I'd like to do a little homework first and see what costs would be and get an idea of what to look for. What days times work for you?
I have owned my T for a few years now and I must say I am glad I bought this instead of a GN. Think about this same drive train with the T being 200 lbs lighter than the GN. Guess which one is faster! Plus, a GN comes in one color with one interior. I really like my dark blue T with the blue interior. Just some things to consider before you buy. Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I live in Mebane, NC, 12 miles from RC's shop. Let me know if you plan on going to RC's and I will try to meet you there.
Is RC's shop open? Covid has really impacted the entire world, but I'd love to drop by sometime in the next week or two and check out his inventory. Does he have cars for sale? I had elbow surgery in December, then covid hit in March, and on top of it, I'm doing some home projects and renovations, but I'm just now coming back around to thinking of the GNs -- hope to swing by soon if he's open to visitors.

Is RC's shop open? Covid has really impacted the entire world, but I'd love to drop by sometime in the next week or two and check out his inventory. Does he have cars for sale? I had elbow surgery in December, then covid hit in March, and on top of it, I'm doing some home projects and renovations, but I'm just now coming back around to thinking of the GNs -- hope to swing by soon if he's open to visitors.

What a difference 11 months has been, COVID is Brutal... Most TB car shows have been canceled, our country is in chaos.. But our cars are holding strong still on selling price. Check cars for sale section ,there has been some jewels of TB for sale lately, 24K to 30K.