New Member and Looking to Learn

jjlilly16

Hello All!

I am a 38 year old molecular biology scientist and have been for 18 years. Back when I was younger and first got my license my Dad got me this crappy 1984 Renault Encore with a blown head gasket and told me if I could fix it, it was mine. My love for all things automotive was born.

I came from a broken family that was very poor (I know poor me ) but I really focused in College and became an accomplished professional with some resources at my disposal. In 2004 traded in my 2000 Pontiac GTP Daytona 500 Pace Car and bought an Infiniti G35X. Simply the best car I have ever had or driven. Until I got a new one in 2009. Just a wicked car.

But it's missing something. I can remember reading John Lingenfelter's "On Modifying Chevy Small Block Engines" and it became my bible. I worked on motors at the local track and built 383 strokers, was the time of my life in College.

I was ready to buy the new Infiniti Q50 this spring. Up at the beach last summer I was walking the strip and this hellacious sounding 1955 Chevy passed by and it brought back all the memories of real muscle. American muscle. I caught the bug.

While researching cars and seeing whats out there I saw an 1987 Buick Grand National at RK Motors in Charlotte and it was just bad ass. Looking around YouTube I saw all kinds of cool vids and especially "Tom's Turbo Garage" series on his GN project. Then I screwed up, I bought the film "Black Air" and now I am hooked. I really want one of these cars and I am gearing up to get ready to do something about it if this Massachusetts winter ever ends which does not seem likely :(

I am aiming for a 1986 or 1987 Grand National in good shape and mostly stock. Budget is around 28k which was far less than most of the built 1955 Chevy's I was looking at first off. Still some chance I go that way, but I think it's too late.

I have Kirban Guides and some other stuff but I guess if anyone has some literature suggestions that would be great.

Seems like an active board with great users, just happy to be a part of this respect for the Turbo Buicks.

Welcome to the site. Take your time and get the cleanest one you can find. The fixer-uppers will nickel and dime you to death. How quick of a car would you like to have? Keep in mind that slightly modded ones go elevens and twelves in the quarter mile.:)
Here's some tech info to get you started. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
I will be the first to warn you that these cars can be quite addictive. Don't say that you weren't warned. However, when you lay waste to your first six figure exotic and see the puzzled look on his face, all will be well in the universe. Well, at least your small part of it.

Let us know if you have any questions.:)

Mike Barnard

Welcome to the site. Take your time and get the cleanest one you can find. The fixer-uppers will nickel and dime you to death. How quick of a car would you like to have? Keep in mind that slightly modded ones go elevens and twelves in the quarter mile.:)
Here's some tech info to get you started. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
I will be the first to warn you that these cars can be quite addictive. Don't say that you weren't warned. However, when you lay waste to your first six figure exotic and see the puzzled look on his face, all will be well in the universe. Well, at least your small part of it.

Let us know if you have any questions.:)

Mike Barnard

Thank you!

I guess I don't really care about 1/4 mile times. I want a hardtop GN that has had the mods I want; better rear end, better control arms, upgraded valve train. Fun to drive, I am not going to race it. Mileage is not a factor is things are right.

No need to worry about the rear end if you're not going to race it.

Welcome to the dark side! Need anything let me know. I live in Plymouth county. Ill send you a PM with my number in case you have any questions.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Don't think that is in his wheelhouse being new to all this. A stocker or something with a handful of mods would be fine since he's not interested in racing.

It's not setup for drag racing though. Corner carving would be most excellent in this car. No cage or anything too. I don't think a stocker would even come close to riding as nice as the GNS car on the street and the back seat is still usable. Lastly, it's a TE44 car. How many other cars that never get raced are out there with WAY bigger turbos?

This is the ultimate street TR, imho.

That is some machine!!!!:woot:
I read the sticky on "Info for New Turbo Buick Owners" and even being somewhat car savvy, it was quite a lot to take in. These babies are complex for sure.
I will put together a more specific idea of the car I am looking for tonight. You guys are awesome here, I knew I came to the right place.

Welcome to the site!
You should make the trip to Cotton's on March 1st.
You'll meet a bunch of nice people, and have more than a few cars to drool over.
If you need any info, or any help finding a car, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help.

Welcome aboard !! These cars can be a blast or a curse ! You have a budget that will allow you to get pretty much any car you want. Take your time and find the one for you !
There are many members in your area that are willing to go check a car for you or with you. Good luck !!

Bryan

Gunslinger, thank you I really appreciate that.

Phoneguy, thanks!

I probably should have waited a bit to post to get things more lined up but I am sure about what kind of GN I want now so I will put up a post tonight about that to get a ball started. Always looking for help on this. I am pretty heavy schooled on Chevy builds (at least engine/tranny end of things) and to say the Buicks are more involved is an understatement. Really desire one of these but it's hard not to think I am getting in over my head.

Well, being snowed in for the next two days, I was checking my computer and forgot how great all the people here at the forum are and that I miss the GN talk.

I updated some members privately about the direction I went in. For a myriad of reasons I went with a new 2014 Camaro SS last Spring. "Christine" was built special and to order for me. If you care you can see the process here and the mods I have done so far:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358812

Anyone from the Northeast here??? OMG I can't take this snow much longer!!

In any case, the Buick GN dream is not over, just delayed. I can say I am very happy with the new car. Soon though I will have an empty garage bay and a sinister Black GN would be just perfect. My Camaro is black with the gray interior, as a shout out to the GN.

That's a great looking hot rod.:)
Post up some pics here when you get a chance, so others can drool too.

Congrats.

Mike B.

Welcome! You will find that although you are in MA and I'm in NY, the Buick world can seem quite small here in the north east. Most of us know each other and see each other often. Shows, track events, cruises, BBQ's and so on. And we may have our differences from time to time, we still share our love for these hulking big bad-ass cars. Get to know us in your corner of the world. With these cars, your not going to get your info from a magazine or the tech help at Jeg's or Summit. We need each other.

I know this because I couldn't do it alone.