New LS Powered GN Build Thread

LS-GN

I figured I'd start a build thread in case it may be of interest or helpful to others building an LS GN. The goal is for the car to be a low budget (sort of) street cruiser that can also hold its own at the track.

The car is a stored winters 87 GN with t-tops. It was purchased as a rolling chassis and came with a steel cage and a 9" in it. This makes it a very heavy car, especially when we put a V8 and a turbo from an old bus in there. For this reason, the first step is to take a little weight out of the car. I chose a complete TRZ front suspension kit with a rack and pinion conversion. This would take weight out of the car as well as give us more room for our turbo system, by eliminating the steering box and linkage. This is the "street" version of the TRZ kit, which uses bushings instead of hiem joints.

514e6c31601c1d2.jpg

The next idea I had was to put a fiberglass bumper on the front. Since this is a street car, I was uncomfortable with the idea of absolutely no protection at all in the event of a front end collision. For that reason we decided to make chrome-moly bumper mounts, and use a chrome moly tube to connect them together. This way we end up much, much lighter than the stock bumper and bumper shocks, but still have at least some amount of protection. This picture is from behind the bumper taken through the empty engine bay:

514e6c316002b94.jpg

We also decided to do a custom chrome-moly core support. This was done in a way that it could be unbolted, and it also allowed the use of the stock hood release. I'm not sure how much weight it saved, but it did seem to be a decent amount. Anything helps because this is one heavy brick.

514e6c316026d9e.jpg

In case you're wondering, all the chrome moly fabrication is being done by PRE in Brownstown, MI. Unfortunately I do not have the skill set to do this stuff and Rich @ PRE is a master craftsmen. The bars fit perfect and the TIG welds are beautiful.

The next step is to install the junkyard LS engine and begin building the turbo system. I hope to have pictures of the engine being mocked up later this week.

Old Bus turbo? What type of engine is it coming off of? It sounds like our build on my brothers 5.3 C10 a couple years ago.

,Dan

Pm me if you need any info on turbo stuff.

Thanks, will do.

Old Bus turbo? What type of engine is it coming off of? It sounds like our build on my brothers 5.3 C10 a couple years ago.

,Dan

I'm told it was originally from a 12 liter bus engine, it's a Garrett turbo, and I think it's 80mm.

The engine mounts showed up, so I hope to have shots of it sitting in the car soon. These mounts and adapters are said to set the engine low and back compared to other swap mounts, which is always good in a drag car. I was told these would place the ls engine in such a way that it could bolt to the stock GN trans. This car has already previously had a TH400 in it behind a v6 in the stock location, and we're using a TH400 as well. The TH400 cross-member is still in the car. So theoretically, this should be a bolt in. We'll see.

514e6f52b631319.jpg

Part numbers are:

Moroso 62530
Moroso 62630
Edelbrock 6706

Thanks, will do.

I'm told it was originally from a 12 liter bus engine, it's a Garrett turbo, and I think it's 80mm.

The engine mounts showed up, so I hope to have shots of it sitting in the car soon. These mounts and adapters are said to set the engine low and back compared to other swap mounts, which is always good in a drag car. I was told these would place the ls engine in such a way that it could bolt to the stock GN trans. This car has already previously had a TH400 in it behind a v6 in the stock location, and we're using a TH400 as well. The TH400 cross-member is still in the car. So theoretically, this should be a bolt in. We'll see.

514e6f52b631319.jpg

Part numbers are:

Moroso 62530
Moroso 62630
Edelbrock 6706

Thank's for the info...

OK....it wasn't a bolt in. The main cradle had to be notched/boxed in multiple places to fit the stock F-body oil pan. The placement of the engine is great though. Pics/Details to be posted tomorrow.

This should be fun to watch..and just ignore all the people that will eventually come along saying you shouldn't do this to a GN.

Solid Mounts

I did a 5.3/80mm(s400 1.32 A/R) Turbo in my 87GN,At first I ran solid mounts just like you and I wasn't comfortable with it,Felt Like i was driving around in my skid steer, I Ended up Doing solid on driver side and A rubber on the passenger side.Felt alot better.Just speaking from my experience ,anyways good luck,

This should be fun to watch..and just ignore all the people that will eventually come along saying you shouldn't do this to a GN.

The work is top notch, it didn't detract from the quality of the car. Once fabrication is done, this car is going to paint and will end up very straight and very sharp. Any haters of V8 powered cars shouldn't be in this section anyhow.

I did a 5.3/80mm(s400 1.32 A/R) Turbo in my 87GN,At first I ran solid mounts just like you and I wasn't comfortable with it,Felt Like i was driving around in my skid steer, I Ended up Doing solid on driver side and A rubber on the passenger side.Felt alot better.Just speaking from my experience ,anyways good luck,

I have a high tolerance for vibration in my street cars. I plan on adding power every year indefinitely, so I'm trying to set it up correctly on the front end. I will be posting pics later today.

Here's a front view of the core support and rack. You can also see the Wilwood Street/Strip brakes. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics.

514e7a08d414fdc.jpg

Here's a front view of the cradle. You can see where it was notched and boxed back in. It is as strong or stronger than it ever was from the factory.

514e7a08d491d39.jpg

This pic shows the way it sets in the car. It sits nice and low and far back, which will help the car work well and also give us more room for the headers and turbo system.

514e7a08d49fc5e.jpg

Looks great, really dig the placement in the engine bay, that should do some good things in the chassis setup. That pan is close to the cradle! No pulling the pan with the engine, huh? Looks awesome, this will be a killer build. Keep up the good work!

that engine looks like it belongs there - keep up with the good work ..

Looks great, really dig the placement in the engine bay, that should do some good things in the chassis setup. That pan is close to the cradle! No pulling the pan with the engine, huh? Looks awesome, this will be a killer build. Keep up the good work!

Definitely not worried about pulling the pan with the engine in. If we have to pull the pan for any reason, it's coming out. I am a little concerned about fitting an engine diaper in there for safety at some point, but I guess we'll figure that out when the time comes.

Thanks for the compliments.

Headers

The car is back at my buddy Pat's house in Michigan, where the turbo system will be fabricated. Send me a PM if any of you Michigan guys need fab work, he does a great job.

We mocked up some headers today to see how much work it was going to be. We have three options we were considering:

1. Custom headers
2. Modified Gibson 6.0 truck headers
3. Modified FMS stainless shorty Ford Mustang headers

I have a brand new set of the truck headers laying around. We mocked those up and they would need so much modification that it wouldn't be worth starting with those.

I also have a brand new pair of FMS shorty headers laying around. We had previously welded V-bands on them and used them to build a turbo kit for a 5.0 Mustang. The combination changed on the Mustang before it was even run, and the turbo system had to be redesigned, so these were spare. Huge thanks to the Bamford's and crew for sharing this idea with us in this thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/lsx-tech/269507-mike-bamfords-dls-powered-turbo-lsx-project.html

We mocked up the FMS headers and we think they will work. They definitely need plenty of modification, along with the new flanges, so I understand why the other fab guy was not willing to make them without a car being there. All primaries have to be shortened on the flange side around 1 inch. They header also has to be welded to the LS flange at a slight angle in order to clear the steering shaft on the driver's side and the cradle on the passenger side. Here are pics taken with the headers just laying in place:

514e7fd26a1c298.jpg

They look like they fit, but they don't.

514e7fd269ce62a.jpg

This is the driver's side, you can see it smashed against the steering shaft, and it's not even far enough back to line up with the head.

514e7fd268ce0c8.jpg

This is the passenger side, you can tell that the bottom of the header smashes against the cradle, and the v-band has to be completely cut off, and a bend will have to be added to the header right after the collector. I think it will be a slight challenge for Pat to make these work, but we're going to try it before I ask him to build custom headers because this is supposed to be a budget build.

I'll post more pics as the system starts coming together.

OK, haven't had updates because we changed directions and decided to go with custom headers. Pat is going to build the whole system with 304 Stainless. The way we mocked it up, it should be very simple and clean looking. We are almost certain the Ford headers would have worked, but not as nice as they would work with the engine higher, like on Bamford's car, plus we may still have steering shaft clearance issues. We ordered a bunch of stainless, I hope to have some progress pics up after next weekend.

I was trying to get some SBF headers on mine as well and ran into the same problem. Whoever got those to fit on Bamford's car is a wizard, it's not easy.

I was trying to get some SBF headers on mine as well and ran into the same problem. Whoever got those to fit on Bamford's car is a wizard, it's not easy.

I think Diamond did it, and he is a wizard. I think it has more to do with the placement of the engine with the mounts they used though.