New hotair intakes underway!

I got a 33 - with blue top injectors. What do you all figure my FP should be set at ? I got a code 44 the other day (lean condn) driving it back from the tranny shop.

I can believe what a difference a new trans with converter and shift kit makes - JJJEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Shes a rocket now.

My kit will get installed in Jan for sure - after the gas heater in my shop....

Keep us up to date on the trip to the dyno - we are all waiting!!!!

Fuel Pressure

All injectors are designed to run at about 40-45 psi, but you can increase the volume with larger injectors. Remember that you may need to increase fuel pump volume with larger injectors.

Depending on the fuel pump you have, the FP can be adjusted in a very wide range. Mr. Buick is right...I like 40 to 45 max for a stock pump, but have run as much as 50. If you have the walbro 307, you can go as high as 60 before the bypass spring starts sending the fuel back to the tank, and 70 on a 340.

Up your pressure by 5 psi, or until it seems too rich/ loses performance. Then back it down by about 1 psi and run it again, keep backing it down and re-running it until you get the best performance w/o a lean condition. Eventually you will either find a sweet spot, or learn you have outmatched your injectors. (remember this may change as weather conditions change, so keep an eye on it)

I hope that idiot light is not the only engine monitor you have!!!!!
That code 44 could be a bad o2, and if thats the only way you have to watch your engine, I see a big bang in your near future.

Do yourself a favor, buy a cheap laptop or scanmaster, and really know whats going on under the hood. Otherwise you are just guessing.

Not flaming you here, I just dont want to see you have a major engine failure. These mods you list are a recipe for China syndrome if you are not right on top of things.

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback.

I definitely am in the market for a scantool now - just waiting for the ideal laptop to come along. My intentions are for a Turbolink.

I dont drive the car much at all - so I am much cognizant of the detonation situation and havn't pushed the car as a result. Heard the horror stories before so I want to do it right the first time.

Didnt realize I could up the pressure that much with the 307 or these injectors - good to know. I intend to make good use of them and the scantool when I begin tuning in the spring with this new kit installed!

Any word on dyno numbers yet ????

Anything can be done, and will be considered.

For such a combination few will choose, it takes time. Time= money.

Now if 10 people said, yea I want to do the for sure, it makes things easier.

For a 1 person it makes it expensive.

The only thing needed to make the powerstroke i/c fit this kit is the tubing to go to the intercooler. We have had one kit that used the stock i/c in a front mount location. The rest of the kit is unchanged...if you want one without the intercooler, you could just get a powerstroke unit and have an exhaust shop bend the pipes.

The problem with a ps intercooler is that there is a lot of hacking to the core support to make the thing fit, most people don't want to cut their cars up that much.

What I was thinkin the other day while looking at my kit was the IAC mount problem. I think theres a way to fit a 90 deg fitting into the blockoff plate the came with the kit. Its would need to be welded or soldered into place and holes drilled.

Then hoses connected to the 2 fittings and ran to the remote mount IAC. This eliminates the problem of having to plumb into the vac block - or wherever to hook up the IAC.

Kinda popped in my head and I went browsing at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle...found a couple of 90 deg bends that might fit.

Did you guys try anything like this....? I dont wanna cover any ground that has already been covered. Im still kinda lost as to where the IAC 'plugs in' to the system if its not where the block off plate is...where ? The vac block ?

The iac is nothing more than a controlled vacuum leak. Any vacuum source can be used....the only source of vacuum available on this intake is the vacuum block. There is a vacuum port on the front of the lower intake behind the coolant temperature sensor which could be used, but we recommend using a larger port on the vaccum block to be closer to the diameter of the stock vacuum passages.

The iac motor is a stepper motor with a plunger that moves in and out to allow air to feed the engine at idle since the throttle plate is nearly 100% closed. IF the engine needs more air the leak gets bigger, if it needs less, the leakgets smaller, and once he throttle is opened it ceases to be necessary.

IF you find that using 90's and stock passages will clear the t-stat housing...thats great, but I think that once you install the kit you will find it much easier to run one side of the remote mount to the vacuum block and the other to atmosphere or the intake tract (before turbo.) The extra work of mounting the 90's s not necessary.

We will be at the Nationals for certain...haven't missed one yet.

Just checked the mail box, don't know why it shows full, only 1 pm???
If you need to get some Questions answered just gimme a call 859-743-4967.

Any idea of when some real world results will be available? I am interested in this kiit but for the same price I can afford a complete LC2 engine, so I want to make sure this is worth it.

One question, I am in the process of doing a conversion of my own, I am undecided regarding clocking the turbo forward to go to my FMIC before retuning to the front of the intake or leaving it mounted as-is and using a pipe like the kit does, leaving the turbo mounted in the stock location, unclocked, and running a pipe from the inlet to the front of the engine, then down to the FMIC and back. I am not relocating my throttle body at this point. Will that pipe fit with the throttle body still in there? It looks like it would. If so, can it be purchased separately for my application?

Real world stuff I am hoping to get soon. Been so tied up keeping up with the intakes we have done, as well as my syclone typhoon stuff.

Throw in family and a full time job, doesn't leave much time.

I do have new wheels on the way for the buick though, and a new laptop is here since the last one I was using died during tuning.

Never enough time during the day right?

As far as rear pipe, it requires you to remove the old inlet back there for it all to clear. As you can see in some of the pics, the complete backside is machined away where the old inlet was.

Thanks for the info! I had the rear inlet machined off when my intake was getting worked over, it's gone now so the pipe should clear in theory. I figured I might like to try something along the lines of what you guys were doing, but since I had the parts and machine access, I did it myself on the cheap.

I know what you mean about "real life" though, I'm getting married in September and have been watching the account balances dwindle slowly. "Cheap and no time" is a way of life now.

I'd like to run my FMIC with my TA33 and 009's, should be a decent combo, at least as good as a TA49/009's equipped '87 (high to mid 11's). Good anyways until a TA62 and 60# injectors and 3000 stall come along for 11.00's.

Will kit components be available separately for pleebs like me trying to cheap something together?

LC2 engine?

OK I have to ask what a LC2 engine is? and it has to be more than $550
I was looking at your mods and we are about the same, what kind of times has it run at the strip? I just got mine running last year and never got it out the the strip. I just sent the modified intake to the shop to be ceramic coated, I will post pictures when it's done.

LC2 is the engine code for the intercooled '86-'87 turbo Buicks. Expect to pay $1500 to $2000 for a good condition complete motor.

I have no problem selling just pieces if someone should want that. I started in the car world as a DIY type person and respect that in every way. I just now have more and more tools allowing me to offer things most hobby/diy don't have access to.

Obviously I am not getting rich at this also.

Re: 1/4 mile times

Originally posted by Mr.Buick
12.89 / 104 mph looks good, what setting on the Ultra chip?

Actually, I was running a Turbotweak street chip. I should have been running a race chip, ported elbow and cooler plugs, two ranges cooler would be perfect. Could've eeked another two tenths out of her. Oh well!