New H & K Battle Rifle

nice, wish I had the dough for something like that. Probably a Saiga-12 for me this summer, not the best but still something to have fun with.

Travis,
Just working alot at two jobs and enjoying the holidays with what little time off I get. Have a great new year and see you on the other board.;)

Drew

I'm underwhelmed. The trouble is the XM-8 still fires the same poodle shooter .22 caliber round that the M-16 does. I'd take an M-14 or M1 Garand over the XM-8 or M-16 any day. Not to mention the scope on the XM-8 will probably break at the worst possible moment or not hold its zero. Unless you are a sniper who needs a scope anyway? Can't anyone shoot with iron sights anymore? Just my opinion. :)

5.56x45 vs 7.62x51 vs 7.62x39

I work in the medical field and have witnessed injuries from all these calibres...

The "poodle round" 5.56x45 from what I noticed, caused the most tissue damage in patients..
the m-16 round especially the 55gr round made a tiny entry wound, broke into many pieces then literally destroyed all the tissue a few inches after the entry hole "real messy to work on".....

the 7.62 x 51 round usually went completely through the individual with less tissue damage than the 5.56x45.

the 7.62 x 39 round usually stayed in one piece inside the individual with less tissue disruption than the 5.56x45.

Im not trying to say that the 5.56x45 round is the best but it definitely is not a weak round up to 300 yrds away. Beyond 300 yrds 7.62 x 51 rules.. The 7.62x39 AK-47 round "only from what I have noticed" falls short of the performance of the 5.56x45 between 150 to 300yrds. I guess thats why the new version of the AK uses a similar round to the m-16..

My final "personal" conclusion is any of these rounds are effective if they are well placed hits.
I like the 7.62x51 if you have to shoot through barriers and have some kind of wheeled transportation to carry large amounts of this ammo.
If i have to travel long distances by foot Ill take the 5.56x45 because of it light weight you can carry alot more than the 7.62.
The 7.62x39 Ill use only if the 7.62nato or 5.56nato is not available.

Originally posted by Drac0nic
nice, wish I had the dough for something like that. Probably a Saiga-12 for me this summer, not the best but still something to have fun with.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Saiga-12 , and if you buy one you will have a great time with it. :D

Attachments

• saiga-12.jpg
    saiga-12.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 181
cool looking gun. i've had a chance to shoot an mp5, put a few clips through it. its an amazing gun. after shooting it compared to the other guns i've shot (granted no other sub machine guns, or anything even close to that) i'd buy an hk over anything. i've been looking around a little trying to find one of the semi auto versions of the mp-5, i know there out there but there not easy to find, and are quite expensive.

maybe if that new gun starts coming out i'll be able to pull a few strings with some people i know and go shoot it.

Originally posted by TRBON8R
I'd take an M-14 or M1 Garand over the XM-8 or M-16 any day.

Ditto on that. For some reason I sould just feel like that you have a lot more knock down power with the good ole .30 cal. I don't like that XM-8 it looks like some sort of fisher price toy. Hell, I don't even see a bayonet mount how intimidating is that?

BallisticV6 - What part of the medical field do you work in? I just got certified as a Firefighter and I got my EMT back in May. I am starting Paramedic school on Friday.