New guy needing help

Offalmangler

Ok long story short.

Looking at a 87 GN. I habe the vin and have checked the VIN online. Says it comes up as a GN turbo car. On the option list it gives me i dont see a WE2 or WE4 though. The trunk is missing the option decal.

I just want to make sure this car is legit.
It was an insurance scam car that this guy bought so the vin will come up to an auction and salvage title. But it was given its clean title back.

Can anyone help me if i give them the vin number?
I just want to make sure its legit beforeni drop some coin on it. And i heard this is the best place to come

I just want to make sure its legit beforeni drop some coin on it.
The "long and short" of it. Keep looking. This car has waaay too much drama connected to it. Kinda like marrying a gal that has 5 ex husbands, and 4 kids. ;)
With the SPID label gone, it's likely suffered either a rear end wreck, or the lid was rusted out, and replaced. If it was rust, you can BE SURE there's rust elsewhere.
I'm betting the seller has no real history on the car, from before he acquired it.
Other items: Does the engine VIN match? Is the trans the right one?, is the differential the correct one?
There several NICE cars out there. Spend some more $, and get one that doesn't have the history, this one does.

I agree with Chuck. Look elsewhere. The SPID label is one of a few ways to verify that the car is the real deal(also have the metal tag by the wiper motor). When you're paying "GN" money, verifying what you're buying is very important. It's also an important part that any buyer "in the know" would look for. After all, you're asking about it now. If you were to sell the car at some point, your prospective buyer would want to do the same.

Ageed, walk away especially if you not experienced with TBs.

Normally i would agree with you. But this one is a hell of a good deal. Its solid and no rust or rot. Online vin decoder says its a turbo grand national. I have looked up here in canada. I cannot find one that is in my price range. Only 3 available tha i have found. Starting at 25 to 60k. Way out of my price range.

vin number will only tell if it is a turbo regal...since the spid label in trunk is gone ... you will need to cross check with the body cowl tag...there are other more in depth methods to check ...the body cowl tag will have gn specific codes on it ...it will have the 19U 19L and say laquer after those paint numbers ...and will have 82C AR9...the 82C is the GN optioned interior code and the AR9 is for the reclining bucket seats associated with WE2 package...this is not a definite confirmation ..but does help if your missing the spid label in the truck ...BUYER BEWARE

Last edited:
Normally i would agree with you. But this one is a hell of a good deal. Its solid and no rust or rot. Online vin decoder says its a turbo grand national. I have looked up here in canada. I cannot find one that is in my price range. Only 3 available tha i have found. Starting at 25 to 60k. Way out of my price range.

There might be a reason it's a hell of a good deal. Resale should be one thing to consider before even buying a car such as a turbo regal. They aren't cheap...and if they are, it's for a reason.

Ok so this is what i have dug up.
Vinchecker.com lists it at a buick regal grand national turbo.

Vin # indicates it IS a turbo car

Gm dealer only lists a W02 rpo code. Not a WE2 or WE4.

Weird?

Is it a hell of a deal for a GN or a hell of a deal for a T? If your looking for a real GN I'd move on like others have said, but if youre looking for a turbo buick of any flavor then this one could work for you. The more info you have the better deal you can strike, then more money for upgrades or issues, there WILL be issues. If it's rust free like you said thats great, but have you only seen pics? Pics lie, so do people. Best to find a local to put eyes on it for you.

The WO2 code I believe is the blackout package for the trim... Around the headlights, the tail lights etc. The black trim replaced the chrome...

So its either gn or turbo t according to the vin. Gm heritage centre is closed due to the virus, so i cannot find out for sure. Im.awaiting pic of trim tag to see paint cide etc.

Then, why ask for responses, if you are already convinced? Waste of bandwidth,,,,,,

Ok long story short.

Looking at a 87 GN. I habe the vin and have checked the VIN online. Says it comes up as a GN turbo car. On the option list it gives me i dont see a WE2 or WE4 though. The trunk is missing the option decal.

I just want to make sure this car is legit.
It was an insurance scam car that this guy bought so the vin will come up to an auction and salvage title. But it was given its clean title back.

Can anyone help me if i give them the vin number?
I just want to make sure its legit beforeni drop some coin on it. And i heard this is the best place to come
If your only concern is weather or not it is a real turbo car,you can look at the 8th VIN character. If it is 7,it is a turbo car. If you want to know what options came on the car that were identified by the trunk sticker,I think Dennis at Kirban Performance can find that info for you. Also,there should be a build sheet inside the drivers door. You'll also want to look at the trans tag on the passenger side of the transmission. It should have a BR........F printed on it.

So how much is a "good deal"? At this point you only know its a salvage title. Regardless whether it's a real GN or T, you know nothing about the car. If you know nothing about Turbo Buicks and you buy a pig in a poke, you are in for a world of hurt, Bud.

O.P.- where are you in Canada?
Lets see these pics you speak of. You came here for the wealth of knowledge.

If it's such a great deal go ahead a purchase it .It's only money and you can't take it with you. But it sure sounds like you're going to be one Pissed off Hombre when the dust settles. To many What ,Where, and If's to deal with in this sale ?? As mention photos of car is like a thousand words on this forum. Welcome to the forum..

Pics
ad_9_1583802282383.jpg

ad_8_1583802282383.jpg

ad_5_1583802282381.jpg

ad_7_1583802282382.jpg

ad_1_1583802282379.jpg

ad_2_1583802282379.jpg