New Grand National in Peoria, IL. Need to find local GN peers

Decided to listen to the advice here, we will reassemble without header gaskets and use the high temp copper stuff. The header gaskets were completely shot with full layers missing. The waste gate was fine, the issue was the gasket between turbo and down pipe/waste gate. It was completely blown out around the wastegate hole and I'm sure that was what caused me to lose boost instantly. The moment that gasket finally let go and blew out, boost no mo. My mechanic will also do a vacuum leak test as well for good measure. I'm wondering how this thing is going to run on the test drive after reassembly, the temp will probably be in the 20s or so here in central il.

I would keep the boost under 15 psi with the temps we have now. Alky doesn't vaporize well under 70 degrees. No need for a winter rebuild. ..

Bryan

I just have to say that if Phone Guy is not a alcoholic after all that I would be amazed. I had to have a drink after reading about it. You must really love that car I would have cut ties and got out after the second rebuild. Good luck is coming your way brother. Your a dedicated man

I just have to say that if Phone Guy is not a alcoholic after all that I would be amazed. I had to have a drink after reading about it. You must really love that car I would have cut ties and got out after the second rebuild. Good luck is coming your way brother. Your a dedicated man
HAHA...
I do enjoy my Jack Daniels ...:)
I just couldn't let the car win !!!
Car is running pretty well now, I had some boost control issues in Bowling Green where I could not get the boost any higher than 24.9 psi and couldn't get my launch boost higher than 2.9 psi. The car went a best of 6.67 @ 107 with these issues. Also the trans has a flare on the 2-3 shift.
I have since installed a new Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm wastegate, Moser axles and a rear end girdle. Bought a CO2 bottle for boost control, new Hurst Line Lock. Hopefully I can get the car to launch with 8-10 psi and get the boost up to 28-29 psi through out the run. I think she has a low 6 in her...

Bryan

HAHA...
I do enjoy my Jack Daniels ...:)
I just couldn't let the car win !!!
Car is running pretty well now, I had some boost control issues in Bowling Green where I could not get the boost any higher than 24.9 psi and couldn't get my launch boost higher than 2.9 psi. The car went a best of 6.67 @ 107 with these issues. Also the trans has a flare on the 2-3 shift.
I have since installed a new Turbosmart Hypergate 45mm wastegate, Moser axles and a rear end girdle. Bought a CO2 bottle for boost control, new Hurst Line Lock. Hopefully I can get the car to launch with 8-10 psi and get the boost up to 28-29 psi through out the run. I think she has a low 6 in her...

Bryan

Watch that flare man. You'll smoke that trans with a flare and a bunch of power.

Watch that flare man. You'll smoke that trans with a flare and a bunch of power.
I know. .
Bought a pressure gauge to test the pump pressure. If I can get done with the honey-doos here , I can check it out and may be making a road trip to see Richard and Patrick in a few days. The tranny is fresh ...
Patrick had the same issue with his and found that the pump had too much clearance on the vanes. When we built the tranny in August we ran out of time to test it before I had to come back home.

Bryan

I know. .
Bought a pressure gauge to test the pump pressure. If I can get done with the honey-doos here , I can check it out and may be making a road trip to see Richard and Patrick in a few days. The tranny is fresh ...
Patrick had the same issue with his and found that the pump had too much clearance on the vanes. When we built the tranny in August we ran out of time to test it before I had to come back home.

Bryan

Good luck brother. Glad you're on it. I thought you were turning it up and running it as is.

Good luck brother. Glad you're on it. I thought you were turning it up and running it as is.
Oh hell no !!!
It flared bad on the last 2 runs in BG. Have driven it around town just cruising a couple of times since then. Dont want to get on it at all till we figure out the issue. Patrick called a couple of hours ago wanting to know if I got it tested yet...I will get it tested tomorrow and may have to pull it and haul it up there on Friday...its a road trip for sure, over 800 miles one way, but it is cheaper to drive there than ship it, go figure.

Bryan

Oh hell no !!!
It flared bad on the last 2 runs in BG. Have driven it around town just cruising a couple of times since then. Dont want to get on it at all till we figure out the issue. Patrick called a couple of hours ago wanting to know if I got it tested yet...I will get it tested tomorrow and may have to pull it and haul it up there on Friday...its a road trip for sure, over 800 miles one way, but it is cheaper to drive there than ship it, go figure.

Bryan

Damn good gas mileage muscle car! You'd rethink that in a big block car with 4.10s or something.

im in bloomington, illlinois …..not to far from you…I've got an 87 GN. learning all the buick stuff as well. collecting parts to build a motor. sold my race car this fall so going to make the GN fast…:) also have a shop with a chassis dyno if you ever need anything…..

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 147
Nice car indeed. Gong to pick mine up today. The test drove the other day went well, car sounds awesome. However, it dies not like the extreme cold add predicted. Even keeping the boost low it just didn't like it. Ran sketchy and knock registered easily on scan matter.

Ran great yesterday. Although the scan master Keeps registering knock when I hit about 10 - 15 lbs of boost. I'm sure it's probably false knock, but it seems to be more touchy about reading knock than it was last (late summer) fall. I must have been drunk when I posted the last message, or at least unaware of my auto correct and swype inaccuracies lol. It sends to run fantastic. I turned alky off and keep it below 15 lbs. Would like someone in my area with more knowledge than me to go for a ride with me and point out any potential problems and figure out what to address next.

Do you have a powerlogger? If so post a log so someone can help you out before you end up hurting the motor. I would turn the Alky back on as it may be supplementing your fueling depending on who tuned it. What kind of timing are you running? What heads and spark plugs, gap?

Bryan

we are going to put the holley efi on mine over the winter, and get it to work with the stock sensor's. be able to put it on the dyno and fine tune it. don't really care for how mine runs right now either, its pretty rich. it has a turbo tweak 110 chip in it with 42lb injectors, and i run vpc12 in it.

Ran great yesterday. Although the scan master Keeps registering knock when I hit about 10 - 15 lbs of boost. I'm sure it's probably false knock, but it seems to be more touchy about reading knock than it was last (late summer) fall. I must have been drunk when I posted the last message, or at least unaware of my auto correct and swype inaccuracies lol. It sends to run fantastic. I turned alky off and keep it below 15 lbs. Would like someone in my area with more knowledge than me to go for a ride with me and point out any potential problems and figure out what to address next.

Benny,
If you're still running the alky chip, with the alky turned off, it has too much timing for just pump gas. You will knock. You'll want to pull about four deg out, if you can.

My mechanic did end up installing exhaust header gaskets, the remflex brand ones. When weather clears up, I'll take a volunteer for a joyride that can give me an educated opinion on how is running. Volunteers in my area anyone?