New Grand National - Help with a setup

Will do, thanks!

I was looking online and it looks like 39lbs at idle is average? with that being said it looks like I am very low on fuel pressure then...

Cam
39-42#s is average below that is a problem, don't drive the car at 29#s until the problem is addressed

Thanks guys!,
I am guessing it is a fuel pump issue. My regulator should be coming in sometime this week, and it has a built in fuel pressure gauge. The GN is currently on the car lift so I can get the pump, regulator, and hotwire kit for the fuel pump installed this weekend. I will post back with results from that.

Cam

A majority of those octane boosters you can find on the shelves of walmart, autoparts stores and such generally only raise the octane by maybe 1/10th of one octane rating increase which doesn't do anything at all. It's easy to waste money on octane boosters that promise alot but barely boost things. There are some that actually will boost the octane rating of fuel by at least 1 octane rating higher or more, but have to do the research to make sure it actually will raise the octane rating by at least 1 octane rating to see any difference.
Hopefully that new fuel pump will get you having more stable and sufficient fuel pressure to keep it getting plenty of fuel. The new injectors / chip combo should help too with keeping things running smooth.

A majority of those octane boosters you can find on the shelves of walmart, autoparts stores and such generally only raise the octane by maybe 1/10th of one octane rating increase which doesn't do anything at all. It's easy to waste money on octane boosters that promise alot but barely boost things. There are some that actually will boost the octane rating of fuel by at least 1 octane rating higher or more, but have to do the research to make sure it actually will raise the octane rating by at least 1 octane rating to see any difference.
Hopefully that new fuel pump will get you having more stable and sufficient fuel pressure to keep it getting plenty of fuel. The new injectors / chip combo should help too with keeping things running smooth.

I can totally agree with that! It was just something my dad had laying around the house that he didn't need so I figured it couldn't really hurt anything so I dumped it in.

http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-octane-booster this is a link to the booster I used. I am not really sure if this one works or not.

However, like you said I am hoping the new fuel pump chip and all that will help stabilize the fuel system!

Thanks,
Cam

Boostane and torco are not your off the shelf octane boosters, they are race gas accelerants 2 different things look it up, but its a whole other debate we shouldn't get into on a newbe build,he should stick with alki and 93...

Well Injectors and chip have been ordered. Also the Fuel regulator and hotwire kit will be here Tuesday according to FedEX :)

Cam

I knew those boosters that you mentioned weren't off the shelf products, hence me saying in regards to a majority of off the shelf stuff won't raise octane more than maybe a couple points at best which isn't gonna change anything that much at all. Takes 10 points of octane boost to raise the octane up 1 rating. Why i had said one would need to do research on products to find one that does what is needed for their particular needs.
Once he gets the fuel pressure issue resolved and has it going with a good solid tune, he can work on getting things ready for an alky kit later down the road to run with the 93 octane fuel.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Glad to hear you should see more parts come in tomorrow, hopefully by this coming weekend you can at least address a couple things with your fuel system to get it more solid and stable.

Glad to hear you should see more parts come in tomorrow, hopefully by this coming weekend you can at least address a couple things with your fuel system to get it more solid and stable.

Thanks! I hope so!

Cam

I knew those boosters that you mentioned weren't off the shelf products, hence me saying in regards to a majority of off the shelf stuff won't raise octane more than maybe a couple points at best which isn't gonna change anything that much at all. Takes 10 points of octane boost to raise the octane up 1 rating. Why i had said one would need to do research on products to find one that does what is needed for their particular needs.
Once he gets the fuel pressure issue resolved and has it going with a good solid tune, he can work on getting things ready for an alky kit later down the road to run with the 93 octane fuel.

ok I misunderstood what you were referring to, my bad....ive used Torco with great results but is it needed? not really..

How's the part swapping going and what's left to come in that you've ordered cam?

How is this same thread posted every week!? "I gotta grand national, I wanna run 10s!" Use the search bar and find the 23,000 other post exactly like this.

How's the part swapping going and what's left to come in that you've ordered cam?

Hey, thanks for asking! I was super busy this weekend and never had a chance to post any updates but I got some stuff done on the GN this weekend, it is as follows:

* I got the Fuel Pump hot wire kit installed and it looks pretty good, I got the gas drained out so I can pull the tank off this weekend and get the new fuel pump installed.

* I got 90% of the hood stripped of its paint and hopefully I will have time to repaint it here soon!

* I also got the wideband A/F gauge installed, and it looks pretty good as well.

* I got the scan master hooked up and working, converted it to the Scanmaster 2.2 last night to make sure that works and it does.

* I installed my Tach gauge

* I wired up the Knock gauge

* I cleaned up a bunch of the wiring under the dash that just looked a little rough.

* I got an aluminium gas pedal installed, it seems to look much nicer than the stock one.

* I got the exhaust leak I had fixed, I had a hole in the pipe.

* I picked up an LT1 MAF. - I believe I have to have the translator for this to work?

I am still waiting on my console switches from Kirban, and GN1 Performance sent me the wrong fuel regulator but I haven't been able to get a hold of them since Friday.

I am waiting on the injectors and stuff to come in from Turbo Tweak and I should be good to go for this weekend.

Thanks,
Cam

Hey, thanks for asking! I was super busy this weekend and never had a chance to post any updates but I got some stuff done on the GN this weekend, it is as follows:

* I got the Fuel Pump hot wire kit installed and it looks pretty good, I got the gas drained out so I can pull the tank off this weekend and get the new fuel pump installed.

* I got 90% of the hood stripped of its paint and hopefully I will have time to repaint it here soon!

* I also got the wideband A/F gauge installed, and it looks pretty good as well.

* I got the scan master hooked up and working, converted it to the Scanmaster 2.2 last night to make sure that works and it does.

* I installed my Tach gauge

* I wired up the Knock gauge

* I cleaned up a bunch of the wiring under the dash that just looked a little rough.

* I got an aluminium gas pedal installed, it seems to look much nicer than the stock one.

* I got the exhaust leak I had fixed, I had a hole in the pipe.

* I picked up an LT1 MAF. - I believe I have to have the translator for this to work?

I am still waiting on my console switches from Kirban, and GN1 Performance sent me the wrong fuel regulator but I haven't been able to get a hold of them since Friday.

I am waiting on the injectors and stuff to come in from Turbo Tweak and I should be good to go for this weekend.

Thanks,
Cam

Good to hear you got the exhaust leak fixed, and you got some of the other things installed.

To use the LT-1 MAF you will need to get a MAF Translator, but most also run a cold air intake setup when they ditch the stock maf and go to the maf translator route.
Honestly i'd wait until you got it running with a good solid base tune with the maf that was on the car as long as it's in good working order before switching over to a maf translator setup, makes it easier to trouble shoot stuff in the event something during the whole upgrade processes causes an issue of some sort.
Hopefully the rest of the parts you had ordered shows up and you can get it all buttoned up to start the process of whipping the tune into proper shape.

Good to hear you got the exhaust leak fixed, and you got some of the other things installed.

To use the LT-1 MAF you will need to get a MAF Translator, but most also run a cold air intake setup when they ditch the stock maf and go to the maf translator route.
Honestly i'd wait until you got it running with a good solid base tune with the maf that was on the car as long as it's in good working order before switching over to a maf translator setup, makes it easier to trouble shoot stuff in the event something during the whole upgrade processes causes an issue of some sort.
Hopefully the rest of the parts you had ordered shows up and you can get it all buttoned up to start the process of whipping the tune into proper shape.

Thanks!, I hope so! and I wasn't planning on installing the MAF for awhile, until I get the tune straightened out like you said. I hope my stuff comes in this week! ( fingers crossed)

Hey cam, wondering if you had got more parts in that were ordered and if you got it all put together?

How's it running if so?

Wondered the same thing, might of been busy with getting ready for fall if he was in college.
Sure we'll hear something it's either running good or he is still tuning on it to get it running right.