"NEW" GNS DDI DASH! (Digital Dash Interface)

Sorry to Confuse things I found 2 Dell Tablets
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...del_id=dell-venue-8-pro&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

which is basically the one Specified (Now only sold thru Dell Business for 249) there is one for 279 with 64 gb of ssd(disk space)
and the 3000 series
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue...ftcwb01&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro-3845-tablet

which is the home model with a slower cpu for 179.00.

In my opinion if your going to have any thing else running on the computer other than powerlogger or want to store music on the tablet get the 5000 series 64 gb ssd for 279.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...del_id=dell-venue-8-pro&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

How will this setup work for me? I have a Cyberdyne digital dash. Is this setup out of the picture for me?

Another thing covered is the "Gas Gauge".... That is one I really would have liked to remedy but it just doesn't look like that's possible at this time... The best and easiest way around that is a secondary Gas Gauge (Autometer?)

Or install the idiot light circuit board for the low fuel light to work then at the very least you know when its real close to empty.

Here's a preview of the alternate color scheme. I can't wait to see how this will look in the car!
image.jpg

Sorry to Confuse things I found 2 Dell Tablets

which is basically the one Specified (Now only sold thru Dell Business for 249) there is one for 279 with 64 gb of ssd(disk space)
and the 3000 series
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue...ftcwb01&model_id=dell-venue-8-pro-3845-tablet

which is the home model with a slower cpu for 179.00.

In my opinion if your going to have any thing else running on the computer other than powerlogger or want to store music on the tablet get the 5000 series 64 gb ssd for 279.

It's probably not good to keep posting all of these options as it will end up confusing people on what to buy that will actually fit the car. The "Dimensions" of the tablet are the most crucial so it will fit properly and with the 5000 series I can not seem to find any dimensions to compare it to the DELL 3000 Series which I know will work great! Plus 32gb is pretty much space to load things onto it which will suffice 99% of it's intended use.

So at this point we still Recommend the DELL Venue 8 Pro 3000 Series

**** Note to everyone reading: If you buy something else and it does not fit, or our Installation kit does not fit, you wasted money on the tablet and the installation kit. We have been testing this for a long time now and know first hand on what fits the dash properly...

Last edited:
Scott.. how will touch screen work if behind factory plastic? Or am I missing something?? Looks like the vids posted the tablet is behind the plastic.

How will it turn on? Do you just turn on ignition and that's it? Do you need to turn on the tablet after you turn on the car? Do you need to start the program or does it automatically load when turned on? Will you need to shut off the tablet or will turning ignition off be suffice? How does it stay on the dash, Velcro, double sided tape? If all these questions have need answered already please correct me. Just asking because if I go this route, I want to install it and forget it. Like a normal dash. I don't want to have to worry about powering it on and loading the screen. I want to turn ignition on and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott.. how will touch screen work if behind factory plastic? Or am I missing something?? Looks like the vids posted the tablet is behind the plastic.
The OEM speedometer cluster is encased in clear plastic, that all stays in place and the tablet is installed right in front of it just behind the faceplate trim.

Good questions. I will attempt to answer based on my experience testing the setup.

Q: How will it turn on?
A: Once installed, the tablet stays on & is woke up by turning the key on.

Q: Do you need to turn on the tablet after you turn on the car?
A: No, it wakes up and displays the lock screen. A swipe of the screen brings you back to where you left off. This is a setting in the tablet, when no password is required.

Q: Do you need to start the program or does it automatically load when turned on?
A: If Power Logger was running when it went to sleep, it will display when it wakes up. You will have to hit the Monitor (F8) button in PL to have live data displayed.

Q: Will you need to shut off the tablet or will turning ignition off be suffice?
A: Turning the key off allows the tablet to go to sleep. There is a 1 min delay, which is the minimum setting for the tablet.

Q: How does it stay on the dash, Velcro, double sided tape?
A: A couple small pieces of Velcro & the dash bezel hold it in place.

As far as setting it up & forgetting it, the only issue I have run into with is not running the car. After a 2-3 days the tablet's internal battery will run down and it will shut off completely. When this happens turning the key on will initiate charging, but it will not wake the tablet. In this instance it will be necessary to remove the dash bezel, use the tablet's power button to turn it on, and re-launch Power Logger from the desktop.

To this end, Scott and I both attempted working with Dell to resolve the issue, but unfortunately they were less than cooperative in our efforts.

We do however have a couple ideas that will work. We simply just have not gotten that far yet.

1) a secondary switch that allows the tablet to charge when the key is off.

2) a remote power button for the tablet.

If someone were to get creative with their personal install, both of these solutions are a reality.

Hope everyone finds this info useful, and it should clear up some questions that a lot of you have probably been thinking about.

as far as having to manually start monitor mode, that might be automatic-able. I will look at that as soon as this color-scheme thing is under control...

Bob

What is the status of the dash? Is there price and availability? I did not find on the website.

I really like the idea of displaying this information and the changes in viewing by Bob, but not blocking the gas gauge or pulling off the lens to reset the tablet. How a bracket to mount to the side like the hidden tach bracket or above like a HUD display?

I really appreciate the effort that has been put forward!

The GNS DDI dash harness' have already been shipping out and they guys testing this in FL have still not reported any failures so I guess No news is good news.

As far as not seeing this on our website, we will add it to the "Dash Page" when we update our GNX style dash's which are coming Very soon!

I really like the idea of displaying this information and the changes in viewing by Bob, but not blocking the gas gauge or pulling off the lens to reset the tablet. How a bracket to mount to the side like the hidden tach bracket or above like a HUD display?

I really appreciate the effort that has been put forward!

I scrapped the dash idea and bought a passenger seat bolt mount for the tablet. I have a non stock dash, so I went with that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk