New GN Owner

Daniel Lane

I recently bought a 86 grand national and when i bought it the fuel pump was out and it has been sitting for a year or two.. Just wondering besides replacing the fuel pump if i should do anything else to it. Do i need to change the oil? if so what all do i need? and is there anything else that you buick lords would recommend to do? Excited to have my first GN and dream car i've wanted since the 90's.

Follow cruzn57 link he posted. Lots of good info on that site.

I would change all of the fluids, filters. & don't forget the fuel filter.
If there isn't one on it already invest in a "hot wire kit" for the fuel pump. Easy to install and insures you get the proper voltage to the pump.
Get a scan tool like a Scanmaster.

What they said. Scanmaster a must for tuning after the basics are taken care of. You will have a solid foundation for the future. Enjoy your new ride. Congrats

You're most definitely gonna have to drain and flush the fuel tank. If it's been sitting for a year or two that gas is varnish by now

Thanks for all the help. Gonna try to tackle the oil change, fuel pump fix, and fuel filter on Saturday. Looking forward to posting a lot on here and joining the turbo club.

I did all that they mentioned above & I replaced all my vacuum hoses too. Im pretty sure they were the original hoses since everytime I touched them they turned my fingers black. Ended up finding a few of them were really bad & had leaks. These cars don't like leaks.

Welcome to the FAM!

I recently bought a 86 grand national and when i bought it the fuel pump was out and it has been sitting for a year or two.. Just wondering besides replacing the fuel pump if i should do anything else to it. Do i need to change the oil? if so what all do i need? and is there anything else that you buick lords would recommend to do? Excited to have my first GN and dream car i've wanted since the 90's.
After you get it started and a scanmaster installed, post up all the mods in your car and data from the scantool so everyone can further help you, also state your goals with the car so everyone can save you some $$$ so you don't spend it unnecessarily..

Also keep your foot out of it till its all sorted out, a unhealthy tr isnt going to move very good anyways, and thats when those good parts break.

Probably too late now, but if you haven't already replaced the fuel pump, go with one that has higher output/flow. You'll eventually want one, so you might as well do it now.

Well spent a whole day on the car yesterday and got it running. The fuel pump wasn't broke. The previous owner had what look to be a homemade hot wire kit on the car. I just wired it up back to the factory harness and she fired right up and purred like a kitten. Just had a few more questions for you guys. 1. Any way to check and make sure the turbo is spooling and the wastegate is activating? 2. The in dash rpm gauge is stuck and shows it's revved to the max even at idle. Also I plan on purchasing a plug and play hot wire kit as soon as possible.

Power brake the car, it should make enough power to break the tires loose and maybe you will hear the turbo spool. Raise the hood since you aren't going anywhere. When you let off the gas, you will likely hear a horse whinny. That's the turbo.

alright. will do. also anybody have a link to where i can purchase weather stripping for ttopps, doors, and etc for a good price?

I bought roof rail weatherstrip from Mike's Montes in Ohio. It's stiff yet pliable and you'll likely have to readjust your windows. Once you see the price you might decide it's worth learning how to do. He probably has the other pieces too. Outer window sweeps are available from Rock Auto and work perfect.

There is only one place for replacement fillers. Spoolfool. Look at the top of the page for his advertisement banner.

I recommend you learn how to use the search engine on this site. It'll eliminate most of your questions.