New GN owner, needs some help with turbo?

QSL

My name is Mike and I purchased a 84 GN for my son and I to work on. I have other fun cars, however I have never played with a turbo car before.

Anyway, I believe I may have a turbo issue? The day I picked the car up, it ran OK and you could hear the turbo run when you pushed on the gas, however, i was pretty disappointed in the performance. I have never driven one of these before, but i really expected a bit more power from the car. It really just feels like a normal 6cyl to me.

We did a plug and wire change and took it out last night. The engine started to develop a rattle sound. Its not consistent, but it sounds like the top of the motor. Perhaps from the turbo area of the engine. The engine idles good and runs good, but its not fast and i have this sound...

I guess my questions are...
Could the waste gate solenoid be making the sound? Or just the turbo? How do I test?
Should i be able to actuate the solenoid by hand with engine off?
Should the car have a push you into the seat feeling when driving?

I have a boost gauge/controller on the way so i can get some more useful data, sorry for my newness!

When I purchased my car years ago it had a big leak in the up pipe that I didn't find for a few weeks because it was under the wire mesh flex area . Check for vac leaks and eghaust leaks . A good running hot air should run a 15 flat around 89-90 mph so it's not going to be a rocket .

I question the power because my daily driver is a challenger SRT8 and although not an extremely powerful car, it runs a 13.5 or so and it feels a LOT more powerful then the buick.

Honestly, i did not think it could be an exhaust leak, but will test again and see now that I am in the mode of hearing it.

I would like to know the symptoms of a bad turbo. I don't want to keep running it, if its bad and creates more problems...

Put a boost gauge on it. Boost should be 13-14psi in first through 3rd. Any major restriction in the exhaust will make it spool lazy. A stock 84-85 GN is a high 14 sec car at best. Probably mid 15's with an inexperienced driver and that's with no issue(s). That's why it feels slow. Because it is. But taking a second and a half off even an 84-85 isn't that difficult. Get a fresh set of injectors, fuel pump, pump wiring, set the tps, get a chip then add alky injection. Add drag radials and you will be able to drop it well into the 13's even on the tiny stock turbo.

Last edited:
thanks, will get the gauge and report back! should have by this weekend.

Might need to replace your vacuum lines, make sure they are installed properly, you should have a diagram near your radiator support or you can find a vacuum line diagram on here somewhere. If your vacuum line isn't hooked up to the wastegate or fuel pressure regulator properly it can cause major issues.

Put a boost gauge on it. Boost should be 13-14psi in first through 3rd. Any major restriction in the exhaust will make it spool lazy. A stock 84-85 GN is a high 14 sec car at best. Probably mid 15's with an inexperienced driver and that's with no issue(s). That's why it feels slow. Because it is. But taking a second and a half off even an 84-85 isn't that difficult. Get a fresh set of injectors, fuel pump, pump wiring, set the tps, get a chip then add alky injection. Add drag radials and you will be able to drop it well into the 13's even on the tiny stock turbo.

BISON... Most HA I have worked on would be VERY LUCKY if that had 8.5-9 lbs of Boost. I would start with basics and look for leaks. Headers are notorious for cracks. Exhaust gasket checked for leaks and bolts tightened up. At the front of the intake, near the top hose is a small bolt in intake, this will be the best place to hook up gauge.

Boost gauge,knock and verify fuel pressure steady at wot is your first 3 things to do.
I have owned a bunch and I have seen anywhere from 8-14 psi on stock cars lol... once you get everything in tip top tun up order they all seem to level out around 11-12 psi , remember cutting cat,intake mods, cranking on wastegate, leaky exhaust, leaky vac lines.... all things that will change the reading on your boost gauge.

Gbodyparts headers/ up/downpipe and a catback, help a ton and get the (hot air ) out. with just the exhaust done I have been able to dial most of them in and run 14 psi without any detonation, Now it will feel snappier with 10-11 psi and a lot of timing but you will lose to me in the 1/4 :)

An SRT8 feels more powerful because it is more powerful.

Post your general location and somebody might be close enough to come take a look. You really do need someone with experience to do a once over and get you to baseline.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app