NEW GN Owner in Illinois. (Northlake)

Cyrus72

Ok. guys after trolling around a few months now, reading, absorbing the wealth of information on this board I have decided to introduce and post my info and story. Well growing up in he 80's I fell in love with these cars. Actually a friend of mines father that I went to High School with used to have a shop a few blocks from my house. All he did was tweak and work on GN's. The shop was in Melrose Park, I can't recall the name of it but his name was Pete. I would see GN's drive in and out, I think his specialty was putting NOS in them.
Anyway, 30 years later I finally found the GN I was looking after a few years of searching. Before I knew of this website. I would have probably have had found one earlier if I knew of this site.
So the requirements a fairly low mileage GN, CF5 code, highly optioned RPO list, and it had to be from the south. No rust. no salt and highly documented and cheap!! Really didn't want much! ;0)
So I bought my girl from a non member in Oklahoma. I had it hauled up here and here are pics and a few details. He purchased the car as a keeper but he fell in love with a GNX and bought it so he sold his GN to me.

I brought her home in June and put about 1000 miles on her only because of the excitement and the little kid in me Every time i take her for a cruise I get High five and nice ride! Love it!

So here are a few pics and look forward in being an active member of the community. Already have bought a few things off some members here. So my biggest dilemma. Whether to tweak or not to tweak!!! She has 35 k miles on her. I know these cars are going up in value slowly but where is the fun if you can't drive them fast!! Anyway my heart is in keeping her stock. The only thing that has been done to her is the catalytic converter being pulled and I have that in the trunk. Nothing else other than the aux cable being added to radio oh and of course a scanmaster. Everything works and its a beautiful UN molested car.

So just wanted to introduce myself and say, "What's up from Chicago?!!" Also wanted to get the opinion of other members if I should do some minor tweaks here and there to give her a little umph. also wanted to pretty up the engine bay. Where i can bolt basic things and in a weekend return her back to her original state. What are the opinions of members and recommendations? engine bay?
I already have some GNX replica (TA wheels) waiting for the spring to install. Keeping the originals.

Again guys! Awesome Forums!! and here she is.

Attachments

• park21.jpg
    park21.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 865.jpg
    865.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 867.jpg
    867.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 5665.jpg
    5665.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 85.jpg
    85.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 118
Here are a couple more.

Attachments

• 754.jpg
    754.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 85
  • s-l16005.jpg
    s-l16005.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 83
Haha that's ANS Pete Barton you're talking about.

Welcome aboard. I work at Harvester in Melrose Park. The Turbo Farm crew does Turbo Lunch at least once a week over at Yorkys on York. You're welcome to join us! Car looks fantastic, and nice and dry underneath too.

Yeah I went to high school with his boy. His name was Pete also we had auto shop class together. I drive by Harverster every day at least 4 times a day.
Thanks for the welcome and invitation. Yeah I know where Yorky’s is at. When do you guys meet?
This is where she is trying to stay warm in the cold.

Attachments

• E28A6452-FEE8-4226-AAA0-D77ED14729D0.jpeg
    E28A6452-FEE8-4226-AAA0-D77ED14729D0.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 8CC96C66-5B06-4920-963C-4D8323E6A706.jpeg
    8CC96C66-5B06-4920-963C-4D8323E6A706.jpeg
    731.6 KB · Views: 89
Welcome, I live down north ave. in Carol Stream. See you around this summer...if I ever get mine back together!

John V

Welcome, I live down north ave. in Carol Stream. See you around this summer...if I ever get mine back together!

John V

Thank Johnny. Yeah Carol Stream is right down the street from me. I live right across the street from Home depot. Roughly the corner of North Avenue and Wolf Road. By the Portillos's over by there! ;0) Look forward in meeting you guys.

Welcome to the Darkside brother. We usually meet at Yorkies around 11.15-11.30... anytime after 12, the place gets jam packed. I live in Elburn IL... Just west of St. Charles. I work in Elmhurst so we are all over the place. We have a strong Turbo Buick community here in the Chicago area. As a matter of fact , on January 27th the Chicagp BUICK Chapter is having their Annual CHRISTMAS Party. Try to join us... Networking is the key. We will all be there!

Prasad

Awesome. Unfortunately I can't make lunch date. I work down south (Tinley) But can make it on weekends. Or I might be able to take a day off and just meet you guys there. Where is the Christmas party and how do I join the Chicago Buick Chapter?

I dont think you know what you're asking for brother...We are all crack heads when it comes to Turbo Buicks !

LOL

Prasad

You are right! I am hooked! Just like crack? IFirst one is fee? ;0) hehehehe. Well I hope to meet all of you at the Christmas party. I just received my invitation! Nan nana nana

I know all those places! I'm also a new TR owner as of last fall...1987 Turbo T I got from a member on here. I grew up in Elmhurst and now I live in Warrenville. I'm sure I will be bumping into a lot of you all over the summer since I plan to be out fairly often with the car...cruise nights/shows/beer runs/etc.

I know all those places! I'm also a new TR owner as of last fall...1987 Turbo T I got from a member on here. I grew up in Elmhurst and now I live in Warrenville. I'm sure I will be bumping into a lot of you all over the summer since I plan to be out fairly often with the car...cruise nights/shows/beer runs/etc.

That's awesome. I am sure we will run into each other. We have our group on FB " Turbo Farm" as well where we post all the gatherings and activities !

Prasad

That's awesome. I am sure we will run into each other. We have our group on FB " Turbo Farm" as well where we post all the gatherings and activities !

Prasad

I think I started following the Turbo Farm like first week I got the car....LOL. This was the white T that Jimmy G was selling. Elburn right down the road from me. I will make it a point to cruise out at some point for sure. I love Elburn Meat Market, they have got some amazing stuff in there.

I think I started following the Turbo Farm like first week I got the car....LOL. This was the white T that Jimmy G was selling. Elburn right down the road from me. I will make it a point to cruise out at some point for sure. I love Elburn Meat Market, they have got some amazing stuff in there.

Oh I got it now.... Man, real name vs screen names here is very confusing ! lol

Prasad

In answer to your first question. No! you don't want to modify it an any way or drive it like it was meant to be driven.
After all. If you married a super model, you wouldn't actually want to have sex with her, would you? :eek:
You'd want to keep it fresh for the next guy. ;)

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

You are lucky to live where you do. Lots of good Turbo Buick people and gatherings in your area.
Welcome to the site. :)

Thanks guys. Mike you are right, about the supermodel comment. I married a model many moons ago, modified her with a few kids and man I wish I would have kept her original.