New Gauge setup ?'s

R.I.P.92Rolla

So I plan on doing a set of vdo gauges since i dont want to deal with fixing my digital dash and having a ton of gauges everywhere.. But still having questions on what kind i need to get or what type.. here is the list of what im gonna pick up

Fuel
Volts
Oil press
Water Temp
Boost
Speedo
Tach

For the Speedo do I get an electronic or a pilot tube?
For the Fuel guage to I get the one with the late model GM sending unit? is that all i will need?
Also Im going to do an electric oil pressure gauge...what kind of sender or wiring kit would i need

I'm thinking thats all i will need and I have a knock gauge and will eventually get a wideband.

You can use all electronic gages just use the VDO sending unit for oil and water temp. That’s how mine is done.
Use the electronic Speedo with the caspers sending unit the connects directly to trans and do away with the cables.

Here is the parts list you needed from caspers electronics

103071 Connector Mate, Dash Bulkhead $35 1 needed
102007 VDO Converter Tach Module $33 2 needed if cruz 1 if not
102045 VSS VDO Sender Dead End $82 1 needed
102046 VSS Convertor $82 1 needed
5 lights I paid $2 each for mine. or you can use 108181
108181 Telltale PC Boards - GNX Dash $50
On my dash I did away with the idiot lights all together so I had to buy lights and could not use his PC board.
0418101949c.jpg

Now you can do away with some of this if you are not running a cruz control and don’t mind not having a VSS signal to the ECM your car will still run fine but I wouldn’t do it just to save $82
I believe caspers has the wiring diagram for the connector on his website if not I can scan it for you and post it up I just ordered everything to build a new dash for my car I’m switching from VDO to cyberdine digital gages.
Here is a pic of the back and how my VDO set up I was going to do a how to thread on this as soon as all the new parts got here.

Keep the vss! Converter lock up wont happen if the computer doesn't and lots of chips use the vss for timing.

Keep the vss! Converter lock up wont happen if the computer doesn't and lots of chips use the vss for timing.

Maybe thats ware some of my trouble came from PO had set mine up origanly with the AVc dash and never hooked it all up. but I dint have a problem with Converter lock at all.

ok cool thanks for the info...will def keep looking at this for reference...

I plan on taking out the digital dash but also having a friend of a friend to help wire the dash up who is pretty smart when it comes to turbo buicks

i wasnt really looking to keep the stock dash plug in...i was assuming i could just run each gauge individually and not have them all wired into a plug and play system.

you can the plug just makes it easy to get power and lights for things like blinkers and cruz and your brite headlights. and you can keep the idoit lights if you want with the plug.

in my opinion there are nicer gauges then vdo i just put two of them in my car and the boost gauge is pretty dim compared to the other one. I got the black ones from kirban

If you like the VDO Cockpit Gauges 387 for all 7 gauges you would run from jegs but then you still need the $32 tach module amd theVSS Convertor $82 . looking around $550 by the time its all shiped to you so VDO gaugesd are not that much cheaper by the time its all done.

yes but a set of vdo guages seem a lot cheaper than say a set of autometers...especially if you pick a higher prices style.

I like the new VDO LED gauges but it would add a good 100 to 150 to the cost. Im going all digital this next time. I thought my WB gauge looked out of place so now im going all cyberdine digital in my car.

In a situation like this first thing I consider is what will make me happy for a long period regardless of cost. Then I look at my wallet & decide how much I will pay to Smile every time I start the car. In the end I go with what I want & cost has to come second. Save for a few months but get what will make you Happy & not whats the best price at the moment. Thats why so many have parts for sale & guages are no different.
Go the $2K route & never look back IMO.
Otherwise, keep it stock like I did. I don't mind the stock look.

If you are looking for better illumination in VDO gauges, consider using the Vision series. They have the classic look but are backlit through the dial, as well as the pointers. As an alternative to the Casper's interface, Dakota digital also offers a speedometer interface as well as a sending unit for mounting on the trans. My dash has components from Paul's World of Motorworks (bezels, mounting plates, etc.), Casper's (telltale lights, tach amplifier and misc wiring odds and ends), Dakota Digital (speedometer interface, pulse generator) , VDO (gauges) and I even had my new speedometer programmed with the correct mileage on it from Lauderdale Speedometer. I think I spread my purchases around...
I have just about completed my "replica" GNX dash, with the exception of some minor tweaking.
The picture is not the best, and the lights were at full 12 volts, no dimming, but you can see how well the new series illuminates.

Attachments

• DSCN1231.jpg
    DSCN1231.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 365
I’m not a fan of the actual GNX gage panel don’t know why I have always like the aluminum panels better maybe it’s the layout. I like the Vision series a lot I was only going digital because I wanted everything to match and my wide band is digital. Ill take a pick of my new set up with the VDOs in it tomarrow.

Here is the parts list you needed from caspers electronics

103071 Connector Mate, Dash Bulkhead $35 1 needed
102007 VDO Converter Tach Module $33 2 needed if cruz 1 if not
102045 VSS VDO Sender Dead End $82 1 needed
102046 VSS Convertor $82 1 needed
5 lights I paid $2 each for mine. or you can use 108181
108181 Telltale PC Boards - GNX Dash $50
On my dash I did away with the idiot lights all together so I had to buy lights and could not use his PC board.

Where do the 2 VDO Converter tach modules go? I was told I only need one to get cruz to work. How did you hook up two?

I added a new boost, oil psi, and water temp gauges from Summit. Silver faced with a blue backlighting. look nice and easy on the eyes at night.

Just a fun fact.:cool: