New Fiberglass Lower Door Panels!

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
Here are some pics of the new door panels I have been talking about. They have been done for a while and I forgot to post the pics....

These are the first prototypes and we can add or change just about anything. Depending on feedback will effect the price. The more I can have done at once the cheaper.....

These are aimed properly for great sound. We can have them custom painted for you or you just bare... They will hold all 6 1/2 components sets... Light too:biggrin:

Attachments

• billsstuff 001.jpg
    billsstuff 001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 5,106
  • billsstuff 002.jpg
    billsstuff 002.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 5,043
  • billsstuff 003.jpg
    billsstuff 003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,994
  • billsstuff 004.jpg
    billsstuff 004.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 5,055
  • billsstuff 005.jpg
    billsstuff 005.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 4,997
thats a cool idea - whats the estimated price for'em and what kinda options are you talkin 'bout. I have a limited - so is there anyway to spruce'em up;)

A friend that is eventually coming to work full time for us at my Audio store is doing them for us. The more he produces at once the cheaper he can buy the materials... We are shooting for $299 plus shipping for the painted ones, maybe cheaper if we get enough interest. We are planning on trying to put the Power6 logo as an option or "Buick" or what ever you may want:biggrin:

I am open to ideas on any changes too:cool:

That sounds reasonable to me. I did realize that you owned a audio store.

Just a couple a questions because I am no car audio guru. It stands to reason that they would need to have dynomat applied to the insides to keep vibration down and carry a boulder sound, correct? Also it looks like you would have to mount the speakers on the outside of the pods. If this is the case and you painted them to match the the original interior could you paint the speaker grills to match or would that look like an after thought?

I think it would be cool when all is said and done that they would look like a factory install. Do you have suggestions on how to achieve this?

My hat is off to you for coming up with such a slick design. In my opinion nothing sounds better than 6 1/2 seperates and this allows g bodys to do exactly that. Kicks panels were the only option before and most people do not like bending brake pedals and relocating ecm's.

That sounds reasonable to me. I did realize that you owned a audio store

It is something we are doing inside of my auto dealership, car business sucks now. I have been into car audio as long as I have been into Buicks. I have had high end systems in cars since I was 15:biggrin:

Just a couple a questions because I am no car audio guru. It stands to reason that they would need to have dynomat applied to the insides to keep vibration down and carry a boulder sound, correct? Also it looks like you would have to mount the speakers on the outside of the pods. If this is the case and you painted them to match the the original interior could you paint the speaker grills to match or would that look like an after thought?

Well we are hoping to have the enclosure built into the panel, that will eliminate alot of the noise. However depending on your goals (far as sound quality) a few pads of Dynomat wouldn't hurt.... Yes you could paint the grills to match the color, I would say it would depend on the color of the interior if I painted them or not IMO.

I think it would be cool when all is said and done that they would look like a factory install. Do you have suggestions on how to achieve this?

Before we actually sale them I will have more pics on a total install so you can see exactly how good they can look....

Far as audio in for TR's. With the help of an EXPERT hopefully we will have a full line of direct replacement full systems for TR to replace the 20 year old systems that will not require cutting any factory wiring...

It is something we are doing inside of my auto dealership, car business sucks now. I have been into car audio as long as I have been into Buicks. I have had high end systems in cars since I was 15:biggrin:

Well we are hoping to have the enclosure built into the panel, that will eliminate alot of the noise. However depending on your goals (far as sound quality) a few pads of Dynomat wouldn't hurt.... Yes you could paint the grills to match the color, I would say it would depend on the color of the interior if I painted them or not IMO.

Before we actually sale them I will have more pics on a total install so you can see exactly how good they can look....

Far as audio in for TR's. With the help of an EXPERT hopefully we will have a full line of direct replacement full systems for TR to replace the 20 year old systems that will not require cutting any factory wiring...

This is excellent. My Focal 6.5's and a nice amp will rock with this setup. Now I am glad I never did anything with the stock location speakers.:)

BTW: Thanks for answering all of my questions!

These look interesting. Have you considered building just the front 1/3 of a doorpanel to bolt onto the existing door panel for a more stealth look?

Count me in if they are available within the next 6 weeks. Can't drive the car till then anyway and wan't a nice system for the spring. Will there be a seperate tweeter location above the mid driver or are they set up for coaxels? Those look pretty freaken awesome!

Count me in if they are available within the next 6 weeks. Can't drive the car till then anyway and wan't a nice system for the spring. Will there be a seperate tweeter location above the mid driver or are they set up for coaxels? Those look pretty freaken awesome!

Yeah the tweeter location is in the pic right above the mid location. We spent lots of time aiming them for best possible stage...

Yeah we can have you some way before 6 weeks. If you want them like they are it will only take him a week to get a set ready.

We looked at just doing the first 1/3 but this was the best way to make them actually fit and clip right in.....

I kinda like them. The price seems very fair in my opinion. I have been holding off on the Q-forms, and/or building my own door pods for some time now. You may have my solution pictured here on this thread. I would love to see gray ones, with some sort of indention for the black carpet or even paint to be applied like a GN lower door panel. But I understand how much work this would add to the design. SO, maybe, just maybe, with a set of blank gray ones, I could do my own thing to make them look as OEM as possible!;)

Now to sell my 5.25"s and find a set of components!

Ok, kool. Tax return will be here in about two weeks:biggrin: I have a grey interior (87 T). Can they be painted grey to match the upper door panels? I'm assuming the holes will be cut out for the mids and tweeters or is that something I will have to do:frown:

I dont have the concert sound for the lower door panels so unless I hack up the door panels these are my only option. Since kick panels usually get kicked:mad: I was not interested in those nor was I interested in removing my e-brake.

;)

Yeah the tweeter location is in the pic right above the mid location. We spent lots of time aiming them for best possible stage...

Yeah we can have you some way before 6 weeks. If you want them like they are it will only take him a week to get a set ready.

We looked at just doing the first 1/3 but this was the best way to make them actually fit and clip right in.....

Whoa! These things are going to be ready for purchase in the next couple of weeks?

Keep us posted...............I'm in!:D

Cool! I am glad you guys like them... Let me see if I can cover the questions...

Far as paint, if it is a GM color I can get it from Brian at Gbody so yes matching colors will be no problem...

We can go ahead and cut the holes for you, if you let me know your speaker model we should be able to pull up the template....

I will talk with my builder today and get more details. I can do a couple of sets a week no problem.

I will have some pics late friday of them with speakers installed:biggrin:

Cool! I am glad you guys like them... Let me see if I can cover the questions...

Far as paint, if it is a GM color I can get it from Brian at Gbody so yes matching colors will be no problem...

We can go ahead and cut the holes for you, if you let me know your speaker model we should be able to pull up the template....

I will talk with my builder today and get more details. I can do a couple of sets a week no problem.

I will have some pics late friday of them with speakers installed:biggrin:

Shane, these look really good.most people dont realize the amount of work in any fiberglass project.
its easy to add a texture (spray) and then dye to make these look like oem plastic too.your builder should know how.....

wrapped in vinyl vs painted. Thats all I could add...what is the speaker mounting to, just f'glass or is there a ring made into the panel? Props on a great idea, and even ore for making them public!
OK, one more thing, some simple black window switched that arent OEM, a nice slick panel w/ giant chrome switches looks like a dated piece on a new piece. That would be pretty simple to do as well.