Stalling issue, no restart

Changed the fuel filter lately? The IAC is going up the longer it runs, should be going down the longer it runs, I would deal with that first.

And torque the harmonic balancer down. It is a big torque, 235 lb ft I think. You have to put a pair of vice grips on the flywheel to keep the engine from turning. Ask me how I know. I had random stalling and this was the issue. The balancer was moving out of the the crank sensor's range after then engine was running for a while. Not an uncommon occurence.

Update: Looks like the crank sensor was the issue. Put a new GM unit on tonite,.... what a PIA that was... and took it on a longer test drive than i've been able to do so far. Actually was able to get it to temp, 180* and do another few hard pulls. No popping, or cutting out.

Thanks guys for the tips and help.

Update: Looks like the crank sensor was the issue. Put a new GM unit on tonite,.... what a PIA that was... and took it on a longer test drive than i've been able to do so far. Actually was able to get it to temp, 180* and do another few hard pulls. No popping, or cutting out.

Thanks guys for the tips and help.
Awesome! Glad to hear the issue is solved!

TTA308's idea of changing fuel filter isn't a bad one, the filter is like $12 bucks and if running stock lines and changes in 30min or less. Making sure to depressurize the fuel system or have a bucket to catch the leaking out fuel.

Awesome! Glad to hear the issue is solved!

TTA308's idea of changing fuel filter isn't a bad one, the filter is like $12 bucks and if running stock lines and changes in 30min or less. Making sure to depressurize the fuel system or have a bucket to catch the leaking out fuel.
Great idea to change the fuel filter. If you haven't done one this year, an overall spring cleaning is probably in order too.

When you change the fuel filter, the fuel might keep siphoning out of the tank even if the car is on a slope. I kept getting a trickle for about 20 minutes before I realized it wasn't gonna stop coming out. Threw on the new filter and cleaned everything up afterwards.

Spoke too soon.....another test drive tonite and its popping and doing the same thing again. Fugger!

Will swap the fuel filter next and see what happens.

Refer back to post 25.

Check the air gap. Then check to make sure the balancer is torqued down to spec. Then make sure you lined everything up right.

This is a game of "thousandths of inches".

On my first GN, I chased this problem for 6 months. Then I had an experienced GN guy do the fix and it WAS the crank sensor/trigger.

Final solution, make sure it lines up perfectly.

These cars are WAY too persnickety, but they are what they are.

Refer back to post 25.

Check the air gap. Then check to make sure the balancer is torqued down to spec. Then make sure you lined everything up right.

This is a game of "thousandths of inches".

On my first GN, I chased this problem for 6 months. Then I had an experienced GN guy do the fix and it WAS the crank sensor/trigger.

Final solution, make sure it lines up perfectly.

These cars are WAY too persnickety, but they are what they are.
I have heard of this too. Now if he changes the fuel filter then checks the balancer with trigger I hope it solves the issue.
At least he can post up here and get a direction to go in, rather then flying blindly in the dark.

Goodluck with your homework sir.

INot to add to things but the more experienced can chime in, does anyone think that an injector might be going out, especially under load? Maybe wiring to the injector? Check the clips harnesses to the injectors. The harness itself is one plug right under the distributor maybe that came loose? Food for thought.

Goodluck with your homework sir.

A fuel filter and an hour of test driving.... hwy, thru town, stop and go, and several hard pulls, and it hasn't missed a lick. There was some stuff that came out of the fuel filter, nothing unexpected .... wish i could figure out a way to cut it apart and really have a look. Time will tell.....

Just for grins and giggles i would unscrew the IAC just to make sure its not gummed up, check the round gasket as well.

I always know when it's time to change the fuel filter. Gas mileage drops off big time. I just installed my crank sensor on my motor with motor on engine stand. I use a feeler gauge. .020" clearance. Its still a 2 person job!

....and we're back. Was a week before i drove the car again,.... this time it made it 2 miles to the highway and started popping and backfiring. The problem is not resolved afterall...... Fuggin' car. grrrrr

How about the cam sensor? What cap? Was it set properly? Cam sensor times the injectors I think. Mine would do the same thing. Run for 30 mins. Start popping. Backfire (blew the exhaust apart) and die. Changed the led Casper’s cap for a stock one and boom. Issue fixed. Bob Bailey warned me about it and I didn’t listen. Wish I did lol

....and we're back. Was a week before i drove the car again,.... this time it made it 2 miles to the highway and started popping and backfiring. The problem is not resolved afterall...... Fuggin' car. grrrrr
Man good luck and stick with it!!

Your updates are important to me, keep up the hard work!

A fuel filter and an hour of test driving.... hwy, thru town, stop and go, and several hard pulls, and it hasn't missed a lick. There was some stuff that came out of the fuel filter, nothing unexpected .... wish i could figure out a way to cut it apart and really have a look. Time will tell.....
A tubing cutter makes short work of stock fuel filters.