New DW 400 Fuel Pump!

hey turboelky what's the part numbers for those efi quick connecter you used for the sender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bison While i respect your knowledge i am having a lot of trouble with some of these assumptions. Let me state my doubts (of which i will do some serious testing in the next week or so to confirm or disclaim). "A column of fuel against g forces" without doing some math i will estimate a # 8 line from tank to rail will hold at most a quart of fuel. ( this pump needs no where near that size line but i will use it for an example anyhow) That would put the weight at 1.5 lbs of fuel in the line. At 2 G's (darn good launch ?) the fuel will weigh about 4.5 lbs. That non-compressible column of fuel will be pushing against a already spinning fuel pump that is capable of 80+ lbs almost instantly. (my guess is that it can react much faster than the car can move?). I can't see how a 4 lb force acting against a pump already in motion that can easily produce 90 lbs is going to have a hard time keeping up. Also about the temperature being a problem ?? No one races with a nearly empty tank ? These in tank pumps are totally submerged in several gallons of gasoline and the windings and brushes that are awash with gasoline normally show very little temperature rise in all my previous testing. Dissipation is typically less than 300 watts at maximum loading and thats not going to increase the pump temperature more than a few degrees in a typical 10 second drag race. Being totally submerged in gasoline has a rather extreme cooling effect------more heat is probably picked up from passing through the fuel rail in the engine compartment but even then a deviation in output is easily corrected by the regulator. These thoughts are just my intuitive impressions. I intend to research this in extreme detail as I have all the necessary instrumentation to get it right.

I’m not sure what exactly that column of fuel would do but the observations I’ve had are that the pump has to be able to flow enough fuel to support the mass flow of the engine plus whatever is needed to maintain 1:1 for manifold pressure. A good safe point from what I’ve seen is 25% more than the engine will ever use at the pressure that will be run. G forces will reduce pump output for sure but it’s variable. I’ve personally experienced a DW300 failure on the dyno without g force where the pump was fine for the first few hits then it fell off hard and couldn’t maintain pressure and part throttle squeezing on the ride home didn’t result in fuel pressure correction at similar manifold pressures as in the Dyno. Though he wasn’t going to flat foot it with a bad pump in it. The owner was lucky this happened at that time and not while making a 140+mph drag strip pass. The pump was sent in and verified to be defective. A major part of a lot of the meltdowns I’ve seen may be due to the regulator type and location. Even when fuel level pump submersion was known to be ok. Submersion and aeration is another big problem with aftermarket junk tanks and low fuel levels. The regulators need to be bypassing a given amount of non aerated fuel to maintain 1:1. When the pump struggles to keep up with demands the regulated pressure not being 1:1 is a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9A6098AD-6C61-4097-8F32-69B9B5C3A8A6.jpeg 4D5C6ED6-EB83-4CE2-B2FA-DE8346F21625.jpeg A3AB027C-4A64-4E3E-A16D-BC598D4F11D1.jpeg
A3AB027C-4A64-4E3E-A16D-BC598D4F11D1.jpeg
9A6098AD-6C61-4097-8F32-69B9B5C3A8A6.jpeg 4D5C6ED6-EB83-4CE2-B2FA-DE8346F21625.jpeg A3AB027C-4A64-4E3E-A16D-BC598D4F11D1.jpeg
A3AB027C-4A64-4E3E-A16D-BC598D4F11D1.jpeg
9A6098AD-6C61-4097-8F32-69B9B5C3A8A6.jpeg
4D5C6ED6-EB83-4CE2-B2FA-DE8346F21625.jpeg
9A6098AD-6C61-4097-8F32-69B9B5C3A8A6.jpeg
4D5C6ED6-EB83-4CE2-B2FA-DE8346F21625.jpeg
View attachment 316948 Richard and I did some test on the new DW400
Fuel pump

As pictured you can see the entire stock fuel system was hooked up for the tests

Last edited:
Pat and I finally got time to do the testing of the 400 pump with stock hanger and lines. Only thing from stock we had to change to make things work was the regulator. I don't have time tonight to post all the details and measurements but I will say that the results were quite impressive. With the right controller this pump will easily support 80 pound injectors with stock lines! The 2 step controller needed will allow the pump to coast along at 9 volts while only drawing 9 amps ! At this level the restrictive return line is not overloaded and the regulator is able to keep pressure tracking. At higher power levels full voltage is applied and the system can continue tracking accurately. This pump is really impressive and has a unique characteristic that allows it to deliver such volume with the stock feed line. More info when I have time to compile the data. RC

Pat and I finally got time to do the testing of the 400 pump with stock hanger and lines. As pictured this pump fits the stock hangar like it was made for it! Only thing from stock we had to change to make things work was the regulator. I don't have time tonight to post all the details and measurements but I will say that the results were quite impressive. With the right controller this pump will easily support 80 pound injectors with stock lines! The 2 step controller needed will allow the pump to coast along at 9 volts while only drawing 9 amps ! At this level the restrictive return line is not overloaded and the regulator is able to keep pressure tracking. At higher power levels full voltage is applied and the system can continue tracking accurately. This pump is really impressive and has a unique characteristic that allows it to deliver such volume with the stock feed line. More info when I have time to compile the data. RC

Pat and I finally got time to do the testing of the 400 pump with stock hanger and lines. As pictured this pump fits the stock hangar like it was made for it! Only thing from stock we had to change to make things work was the regulator. I don't have time tonight to post all the details and measurements but I will say that the results were quite impressive. With the right controller this pump will easily support 80 pound injectors with stock lines! The 2 step controller needed will allow the pump to coast along at 9 volts while only drawing 9 amps ! At this level the restrictive return line is not overloaded and the regulator is able to keep pressure tracking. At higher power levels full voltage is applied and the system can continue tracking accurately. This pump is really impressive and has a unique characteristic that allows it to deliver such volume with the stock feed line. More info when I have time to compile the data. RC

So far I’m happy with the pump. No actual data other than my car still running lol. I look forward to actual data!

On a side note, looks like the forum is multiple posting again....

I've noticed that the forum will hang up sometimes when you hit the post reply button. If you go up to the address bar on your computer & refresh it, the post will appear. Least that's what I've tried.