New documentary on the GN

ordered my poster and movie! can't wait to watch it!!
I always love pics and vids and such of the gn. I got that one from the speed channel episode a few years back. Kinda dry, but still pretty neat.

I turned 16 in 1988 and the baddest car on the roads were the turbo Buicks. I had wanted one since then. In 09 I finally purchased mine. So before 2009 I don't know all of the in's and out of the past and I enjoy hearing these stories. With that being said, unless the people who have these stories tell them we who got into the game late will never know them. I personally am happy that the DVD has been made and I purchased one myself.

The was I see it is that I spent 9 years in the Navy and I have many stories but unless they are told to other people they are useless. So either tell all the stories or don't complain about your stories not being told.

gnmovie.com --- I ordered mine and Im very excited to see it ! Fluff or not... ANY exposure for our cars is a GREAT THING ! !

I for one am pumped it was made.

Hell, just that awesome trailer gets me all weepy inside (that song is perfect). DVD and poster ordered.

I was 18 in 1987 and remember having a ride in an '86 or '87 GN that summer. I had just graduated high school and the whole world was waiting for me, yet I NEVER forgot that quick (no pun intended) ride. After that I always had an appreciation for the intercooled TRs.

Two years ago when I was in the market for a fun DD, even though twenty-three years had passed, I remembered the ride I had in that GN and that is what sold me on getting one. That and the fact that Nick Micale (ArizonaGN) is local, and we talked, and he assured me that we could build a fun DD that was capable of mid 11's without breaking the bank. :)

Can't wait to watch it over-and-over and frame that poster and hang it in my garage!

Here is to Black Air 2!

IF this is how the admins of this site act/post

It certainly isn't going Fast with Class.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for that. Best laugh Ive had all day.

I hope you know where that phrase originated. If you did, you'd know why Im laughing so hard.

Like I said, I call it like I see it. I hope this documentary is great and gives a great history on the car but the release of the car wasnt the end, it was the beginning. The grassroots effort behind this car is what made it special.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for that. Best laugh Ive had all day.

I hope you know where that phrase originated. If you did, you'd know why Im laughing so hard.

Like I said, I call it like I see it. I hope this documentary is great and gives a great history on the car but the release of the car wasnt the end, it was the beginning. The grassroots effort behind this car is what made it special.
Laugh all you want. I'm sure you know the story as to how that phrase came to be. Yay for you. But I don't care if you coined the phrase yourself, you haven't exactly been "classy" in this thread.

And you can call things whatever you want I suppose. But in this case, you haven't seen what's being discussed. So again, your opinion is... well... pointless. Watch the DVD then make a post if you really want to share an opinion that would actually count for anything.

At the end of the day, had the car not been built, your "grassroots effort" would have never happened. It's common sense that release of the car wasn't the end of the ride. But unless I'm mistaken, this documentary is about the car's coming to be. As already stated plenty of times in this thread, depending on the response to this piece, a follow up is being considered.

Laugh all you want. I'm sure you know the story as to how that phrase came to be. Yay for you. But I don't care if you coined the phrase yourself, you haven't exactly been "classy" in this thread.

And you can call things whatever you want I suppose. But in this case, you haven't seen what's being discussed. So again, your opinion is... well... pointless. Watch the DVD then make a post if you really want to share an opinion that would actually count for anything.

At the end of the day, had the car not been built, your "grassroots effort" would have never happened. It's common sense that release of the car wasn't the end of the ride. But unless I'm mistaken, this documentary is about the car's coming to be. As already stated plenty of times in this thread, depending on the response to this piece, a follow up is being considered.

And like Ive already said, all the best to them. I hope they sell a zillion copies and thats straight from the heart. I love the car just like all of you so any exposure is good exposure.

>>> Oh I've gotten them too Jay over the years trust me so I know where you're coming from.

Im sure you get the idea where Im coming from then. Thats a story for another thread tho... Im going to bow out of this one.

Best of luck on the documentary. Like I said, I hope they sell a zillion copies.

Meh... I think a lot of important history was left out of this film. Im sure it was a great effort but unless whoever made this really beat the ground to find any of the people who truly innovated for these cars (And almost all of them are gone) its just going to be a fluff piece with a bunch of cars in it. Props to them for making it but Ill be passing. I have my own 25 year version in my head.. Im sure theirs is quite different. Difference is, I was actually there.

Jay I respect you and appreciate your efforts to the Buick community now and over the years and props to you that you were able to have been there at the beginning.
But, I'm going to be honest and say you came off very condescending and arrogant in the thread from the start.
In the big picture dont you think that rallying behind efforts that support these cars would be more beneficial than the angle you chose. Especially since you havent even seen the DVD yet?
I have my own version of the TR's in my head as we all do but Im not going to hold that over anothers experience or angle if I think their experience is BS/Fluff/horsefeathers/etc and not as good as mine.
I remember test driving my 87 GN when new and it breaking teh tires loose in first at WOT from a low roll and barking second and me thinking......I havent had a car bark second from the factory since the 70's....SOLD......and the rest is my history and 207+k Daily driving, racing, etc miles later and now with its first new engine I drove mine to BG this year from ST Paul, MN.
I enjoy the uniqueness of the cars and Im gonna take a boost where i can and this DVD dcoumentary is another good shot in the arm for the Buick world/community IMO. and I support it.

We now return to our originally scheduled program; and so it was, 25 years ago today, the last Buick Grand National rolled off the assembly line. Perfect timing for the release of Black Air.

I hope you get involved Jay with the movie. I know and remember a lot of the stories with BG and way back in the day everything that ensued. I think Andrew wants to cover the buildup in the 2nd movie if he does it with everything that happened from 87 to now. You would be a big part in the grassroots movement. I remember how many of them even when i was 8 or 9 attending BG those early years in late 80s and early 90s how fast they were going deep in 11s in street cars. now we have guys in the mid 9s with ac and full power options. Pretty awesome! I think the early years with Kenny D, Jim D, LC, Barton, Red, etc would be great to see and interview them and show all old footage and cars. Hell you could put a ton of video of GS Nats and Super 16 footage and TSS and all that on a second movie for sure. Very excited if it will be done right. Because the original crew is dying off, and a lot will go with them, especially the stories!

Im happy to help him out any way I can if he wants to delve further into it.

Im afraid with all I know, if I put it out there and name names, Ill get sued so I probably will have to pass.

A lot of the people have passed away.. far as I know most of them are still around, just out of the Buick stuff. There are a lot of guys that deserve recognition for what they have contributed, both those that turned these cars into a way to make a living and those who just had a passion for the car. Kenny D, Jimmy D, Steve Kaminski, Conrad Jones, Jim Haas, Jim Bell, Phil Griffith (Dunno if he's still alive) and his wife Shirley.. those are the people that would have some interesting stuff to show and thats just a drop in the bucket. Hell, Lou Czarnota should be in there too.. Lou had a screaming car even by today's standards.

Theres a lot of history and because the community was/is so much smaller than say Mustangs or Camaros, everyone knows everyone and dirt was dished on a constant basis. Maybe they can even get an interview with the elusive Mark Smith.

This could be really sweet. I got tons of old videos from BG and pictures too i need to upload that is for sure

We now return to our originally scheduled program; and so it was, 25 years ago today, the last Buick Grand National rolled off the assembly line. Perfect timing for the release of Black Air.

And in observance that, here are a couple of shots of the Last GN seen rarely outside of it's bedroom... :cool:

LastGN01Cropped.jpg

LastGN02Cropped.jpg

Just ordered mine:D It is better than watching more LS articles on hot rod television;)
Kevin

All I know is I see my little blue Regal in that movie trailer. She's sitting in the background at the 15sec mark. Haha she's a movie star!

Looking forward to watching the movie soon.

I wonder if the Ford and Chevy guys are reading this thread and laughing at us. Some guy makes a pretty legit documentary about our cars (in which the first 5 mins look really good) and this causes a problem?
The GN/TR is a cult car. Always was, always will be. I gather everyone around my house when 'perps' in Menace To Society are driving a GN (OK maybe T Type). And when those 3 dirtbag Guidos in Out For Justice are driving one I call silence in my house. Wait lets boycott it because they call it a GNX:rolleyes: I even watch that clueless Alonzo guy when "101 Cars you must drive" features the GN. Unless they are blatently lying and badmouthing the car who cares. And even if they are, I'll still watch the GN on the big screen. I'm just happy they are on TV or in movies. On a side note I was watching a Miami Vice episode and there was a GN in it-pretty cool.

And for Black Air 2 I will be available for interviews about how these cars cleaned house on Franny Lou or Crossbay Blvd.:D As well as an IN DEPTH review of Uncle Sam's in Bowling Green:eek::p "I solemly do swear....." HA