New Contest With Prizes

Dennis Kirban

You want to watch this thread either the 3rd or 4th of January we will be posting the rules with prizes of a unique contest that centers around the upcoming January Scottsdale Barrett-Jackson Auction.

The contest will show if hype or common sense is going to sell a certain car that is scheduled for the no reserve auction. Contest is open to all that read this exception being any Barret-Jackson employees. Deadline naturally will be a few days prior to the January Scottsdale auction.

Again it wil be spelled out Wednesday the 2nd or Thursday the 3rd 2013.

Stay tuned.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

The contest info is below:

JANUARY WINTER CONTEST -

Every January signals the start of a series of classic car auctions. One of the first is the Barrett-Jackson auction held in Scottsdale, Arizona. The dates for this year's auction are January 13th thru the 20th, 2013. I received their preview booklet a few weeks ago and what caught my eye was the fact there will be a 1990 Yugo convertible in this auction.

What many of you may not realize is the same years our Turbo Regals were being produced, the Yugo hit our shores with great fan fair. It was promoted as being the cheapest car sold in the USA at just $3995.

The first models hit our shores in August of 1985 and I assume they were 1986 models.

I thought it would be interesting to make a contest out of this car, since its history is well known as being a total failure. There is even a 200-page hardbound book entitled, "The Yugo, The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History," written by Jason Vuic. The book was published in 2010. I am currently reading the book and find it fascinating reading.

SO HERE ARE THE RULES -

This contest is open to all readers of this except for anyone who is connected or works for the Barrett-Jackson Organization.

Read all the rules carefully as they must be followed to the letter to qualify.

Your single guess must be emailed to me by January 11th, 2013 midnight EASTERN TIME.

Your guess MUST be sent in an email to me - denniskirban@yahoo.com

In case of two exact guesses, the earliest dated guess is the winner.

The guess closest UNDER the posted selling price is the winner.
Second closest takes Second Place.

The determined selling price will be the price they post on their website or noted if someone emails me from the actual event during the auction or sees it live on TV.

The contest is VOID if car in question turns out to be a no show at the Scottsdale January 13th-20th, 2013 Barrett Jackson auction. Contest is also void if car fails to get any bids.

First place winner wins a copy of the book entitled, "The Yugo, The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History," a collectible bottle of the Carroll Shelby Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and a copy of the Molly DVD.

Second Place winner wins copies of Volume 1 and 2 of "Dennis Kirban’s Tips, Trivia & Sources For 1986-1987 Buick Turbo Regals."

HERE ARE THE CLUES AND CAR INFO -

I have Barrett-Jackson preview full-color catalog. The car you are guessing on is listed as part of the Robert Howard Collection being sold at no reserve.

Here is the car and exact description that you are basing your one single guess on:

LOT #722 "1990 YUGO GVV CONVERTIBLE A new Yugo Cabrio. A classic car with a tainted reputation that deserves a good home. No Reserve."

The Yugo pictured is yellow and has less than 400 actual miles on it.

Here is the link on Barrett-Jackson's website.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/scottsdale/

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appl...list.aspx?aid=466&sd=01/15/2013&ed=01/20/2013

That is the car you are guessing what the selling price will be before the deadline. Should be interesting. This auction usually generates a lot of hype and high dollars being paid. It will be interesting to see if a car with a tainted reputation almost from the beginning, can generate big money on the big auction scene.

From my research they only made 72 of these.

The contest begins now! Good Luck.

REREAD THE RULES AS THE ANSWER YOU PICK FOR THE PRICE MUST BE EMAILED TO ME denniskirban@yahoo.com

You can also post it in this thread for others to see, HOWEVER if you do not email it to me also it will NOT COUNT!

This was part of todays inner circle that went to our members and appears on our website as well. I am running a similar contest on anorther car forum that I am on as well.

This may be the first time at a Barrett-Jackson auction a car that is well known as a failure has come up for auction. Be really curious to see how they hype it up to get a good price for it.

Again I Repeat you must email your single guess to me to be counted by the deadline of course denniskirban@yahoo.com

Very cool.
The Edsel was also a complete failure and is now worth big bucks. However, it wasn't done on the cheep as the Hugo was. Should be fun to watch.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.:)

I think that one of us needs to buy this poor car and stuff a Turbo Buick engine in it. Then show the eastern block countries how one should properly market cars to the US.:D

Mike Barnard

Here is one interesting tie in with the Turbo Buick that many of you are probably not aware of. Regarding Jay Frick of Jays GN fame who passed away last year......

Back in the 1980s he worked at a GMC/Caddy dealership. He had been out to my house several times and at one time I had a Yugo sitting out back. I dealt with a local junk yard and I had them bring one over as a joke just to have it. (I should have kept it when we moved but instead had them take it back and crush it.

Jay told me in 1986 or 1987 the dealership he worked got one of the Yugo franchises.....what they did was with one model Caddy you got a Yugo FREE. I know its true because it is even mentioned in the hardbound Yugo book I got. It doesn;t name the dealership but it does state that a caddy dealership did do this.

Jay went on to tell me one funny story about one guy who got the free Yugo drove it home that nite called a few minutes late said the car simply stopped. Upon inspection they discovered the motor was complete seized up. No idea why. They replaced the motor. Sales guy went out with the guy with the new engine in the car....it was then they discovered the problem turned out no one had shown the guy that it was a manual shift car he simply drove it in first and over reved the engine.....think about it most Caddy owners didn;t have manual shift experience as they were an older crowd back then used to luxury cars.

True story...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Another little known Yugo fact was that they all had heated rear windows so you could keep your hands warm while pushing them to the side of the road.

It's a joke just like the Yugo! They should have made a station wagon called the Weallgo!

We are getting guesses now every day. Actually I am running this same contest on another unrelated car forum as well. Will get my buddy to post a photo tomorrow of the hardbound book that was written about this wonderful little car.

Here are a few more facts about the all new 1990 Yugo Cabrio convertible...it was basically the last attempt at success for Yugo in the US....but as the saying goes alittle to late to the table.

The 0-60 times took a leisurely 12.4 seconds....in turbo buick terms most of you on a cool day would cover a 1/4 mile in the same time span.

Maximum top speed was 96 mph and the speedo read up to 115 mph. Our Buicks only read to 85 mph.

Interesting description for the body and I quote "All steel unibody with zinc compounds and wax injection at critical areas/components. I don't quite understand what that means.

Final drive was 3.76:1.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

What do you call a Yugo with a flat tire totalled.

Why is a Yugo like a bic lighter? When it runs out of gas you throw it away.

Above quotes were not part of the promotion material for the Yugo. GV letters by the word Yugo stood for Great Value.
More proof you can't believe everything you read. Be great if they actually televise the Yugo sale.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if a bunch of good ol boy, fat cats, get in a drunkin bidding war, and this turd goes for six figures.:eek:
Don't laugh. I've seen it happen before.;)

Fun thread.

Mike B.

Thanz to Mr AMC Guy for posting this for me. This is the hardbound book that was written in 2010 over 200 pages giving all the details and humor associated with as the title suggests the worst car in history. Great reading.
Good luck players:

denniskirban@yahoo.com
1357316090.jpg

Special thanz again to Mr AMC Guy who posts all my photos. Here is the single one page flyer that hypes the all new 1990 Yugo Cabrio which I surmise is a fancy word in the Yugo language for convertible. One side gives all the exciting specs such as 0-60 times in 12.4 seconds and the other side shows the actual car.
Few days left of the contest.
denniskirban@yahoo.com
1357643222.jpg

1357643220.jpg

Thanz....to Mr AMC Guy for his posting for me. I had this cartoon done years ago never used it in the Buick newsletters. Shows of course a Yugo caption would read: Real reason the Yugo has a rear defroster is to keep your hands warm when you gotta push it in the winter.
I wonder if the winner of the Yugo convertible would be interested in purchasing this original art work?
denniskirban@yahoo.com
1357755464.jpg

At least the car only weighs 1947 lbs. It should be easy to push.;)

Mike B.

All y'all can stop following along.... I won.

Move along, nothing more to see here now, go on.... move along......:eek::D

HEY!!!!! Wait a minute..................:oops:

Time has expired to submit your guess to me personally by email. We now wait and see just what a prestine 1990 Yugo convertible 1 of 72 ever made brings at the Barrett Jackson auction next week. Winner entry will be posted here once I confirm everything. I have no issue if someone posts the results and a write up of how the auction went down. Hopewfully some Buick owners are in attendance. I already received word that at least two Grand Nationals are scheduled to go through this auction as well. Be kinda of embarassing if the Yugo out pulls the Grand National in dollars.

As the saying goes someone has to win.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Interesting enough I ran this same contest on another GM forum and it pulled more results!

I looked for a Yugo forum but couldn't find one least not in the USA.